Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Monitoring oxygen saturation? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Monitoring oxygen saturation? (/Thread-Monitoring-oxygen-saturation)

Pages: 1 2

Monitoring oxygen saturation? - Midge 82 - 02-08-2019

Hi. I am looking for help. I have mostly central sleep apnea with a bit of obstructive as well. While my numbers are good, according to the machine, I continue to feel that I'm not getting enough air at times during the night because I wake up with headaches and feeling very foggy.

I can't quite figure out what kind of 02 sat monitor i can use with my machine. It's an Aircurve 10 ASV.  Can anyone help?

I am having a difficult time at the moment, including cognitive issues due to headaches and poor sleep, so I cannot wade through much technical material. I would be really grateful to just be pointed toward an 02 Sat monitor product that would work with my machine so i can see if the 02 saturation is better than what it feels like to me. I want a device that will record it all night long so I will know if there are times that it significantly drops.

Many thanks,
Midge

RE: Monitoring oxygen saturation? - Crimson Nape - 02-08-2019

Hi Midge82 - Welcome

While Resmed does make an oximeter, it usually proves too costly for most people.  For this reason many of us use one of the Contec CMS-50 models. The "F" and "I" models are the preferred units with the D+(plus) model coming in third.  The reason for this is the F and I models strap on like a watch and employ a finger probe.  The D+ model is an all-in-one unit that is somewhat bulky and can require special attention to keep it on during a sleep session.  All the unit's data can be viewed with SpO2 Assistant software, provided by the manufacturer or imported into #SleepyHead.   #SleepyHead allows a direct import or a file import together or separate from your CPAP's data.

I hope I've provided the answer you are seeking.

RE: Monitoring oxygen saturation? - SarcasticDave94 - 02-08-2019

Hi Midge82,

The ResMed O2 monitor is very expensive at something over $1,000. There's a brand called Contec that makes a 50 series monitor, available on Amazon and other places that's highly recommended. It typically does integrate with Sleepyhead charts, and should be available for well under $100.

Others likely have more specific Contec info than I do on the best selection.

PS Crimson Nape beat my post, including more details on Contec.

Coffee

RE: Monitoring oxygen saturation? - SideSleeper - 02-08-2019

When I had a question on oxygen levels, my sleep doctor loaned me a monitor for overnight use. It wasn't compatible with Sleepyhead but he read the results and said I was OK oxygen-wise. My DME also had one I could have borrowed.

RE: Monitoring oxygen saturation? - JVWEIL - 03-08-2019

What is the difference between the F and I models?

RE: Monitoring oxygen saturation? - Crimson Nape - 03-08-2019

The F model only stores one session and will overwrite the previous session everytime you start the record option. The I model, depending on session length, can store up to 15 individual sessions. The I model also records and reports "Perfusion Index". It sounds neat but I haven't found much use for it.

RE: Monitoring oxygen saturation? - JVWEIL - 03-08-2019

Many Thanks!

RE: Monitoring oxygen saturation? - ajack - 03-08-2019

I have the contec that goes on the wrist with a lead. In the meantime if you get some sleepyhead charts up, if the setting and tidal volume, minute vent is ok, you shouldn't be having desaturations.

RE: Monitoring oxygen saturation? - Snoring Bear - 03-08-2019

(03-08-2019, 07:54 PM)ajack Wrote: I have the contec that goes on the wrist with a lead. In the meantime if you get some sleepyhead charts up, if the  setting and tidal volume, minute vent is ok, you shouldn't be having desaturations.

Which model of Contec do you use?

Can you explain your comment above "If the  setting and tidal volume, minute vent is ok, you shouldn't be having desaturations."

Thanks!

RE: Monitoring oxygen saturation? - ajack - 03-09-2019

I had to look it up, I forgot that it was a 50f "CONTEC CMS50F. There is also a bluetooth 50fw that I haven't looked at.

As to desaturations, I was referring to his ASV machine, Even with 0.00 there can be setting issues causing a low tidal volume during a CA event, that the machine is designed to correct.

But your resmed apap can do a very similar job of keeping the OA/H low with minimal desaturations. You can also follow the tidal volume chart, to see where it dips to below a number you are happy with. I like to have very few and for a short duration below Tv 2-300 of air per breath, or I would try another CM of min pressure. I just had a look at your chart on your thread, I think your leaks are the main issue and what you need to work on, possibly even a change of masks to a full face. You may need another cm of min pressure later. To see how that goes.