Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] Help me selecting the best CPAP Machine - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] Help me selecting the best CPAP Machine (/Thread-CPAP-Help-me-selecting-the-best-CPAP-Machine)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Help me selecting the best CPAP Machine - a.k.mishra - 02-17-2019

Hi Friends ,

I have gone through polysomnography and found myself as sleep apeneac with my AHI is around 16/HR.
I have used MAD Device ,but it breaks due to my dental bruxism issue.
Hence I am now switched to CPAP as adviced by my Pulmonologist .
But right now I am using rental device the Philips Remstar auto provided by my DME.
I am feeling fine with this device with two type of mask like nasal mask and dreamstation head gear.

Now I want to go for the advanced device like dreamstation auto or dreamstation go for my regular use as they provide sufficient sleep data.
But I have need some help from you guys before I proceed with the same

1) can issue the dreamstation go regularly as dreamstation auto in home?is the go one is same powerful and effective like auto ?

2) do I need to see proper sleep data before I proceed with the same.

3) In addition to that the price difference between those is just double.so is it worth enough to use go ??

Please help me as I am confused between go and auto variant of dreamstation .

Regards

RE: Help me selecting the best CPAP Machine - Sleeprider - 02-17-2019

Get the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. It has a more responsive pressure algorithm than the Philips and provides true bilevel pressure with its Exhale Pressure Relief (EPR) feature providing up to 3-cm difference between inhale and exhale pressure. It sounds like you have fairly mild obstructive apnea, but you asked for the "best". That's it.

RE: Help me selecting the best CPAP Machine - Gideon - 02-17-2019

Agree with Sleeprider above but there is a slightly better machine than ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and that is the AutoSet for Her with its additional algorithm that you may or may not use.

RE: Help me selecting the best CPAP Machine - Fats Drywaller - 02-17-2019

Yes to all of the above. It really is that simple: "Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset", and if possible the "Autoset for Her" model in that line. Don't accept an "Airsense 10 CPAP" or "Airsense 10 Elite" or "Airstart 10"; it must have "Autoset" in the name.

A couple of further details:

The "Autoset for Her" model should have the same price as the regular Autoset model, so there's no reason not to get it if it's available. (The fact of the patient being male makes no difference; "for Her" is only a marketing name that Resmed chose.) If it's not available, that's OK; the regular Autoset model works fine too.

Also, you could read the "Machine Choices" wiki article here if you want the reasons behind the recommendations, but it's not really necessary:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Machine_choices

RE: Help me selecting the best CPAP Machine - a.k.mishra - 02-17-2019

Thank you very much for your reply 

I understand comparatively the resmed one is better compared to dreamstation..

In that case can we go for the travel CPAP like resmed airmini  or dreamstation go ?

Are thesetravel CPAP are powerful like their auto standard one ??

So what should one choose airmini or go one ,,or is it better to go for the standard auto one not the travel.one ?

Regards

(02-17-2019, 09:53 AM)a.k.mishra Wrote: 1) can issue the dreamstation go regularly as dreamstation auto in home?is the go one is same powerful and effective like auto ?
Not really.  The Go doesn't have a humidifier, except for a mickey-mouse "HumidX" scheme that doesn't work as well and is much more expensive to operate, month by month.  The Go isn't really intended for home use.

(02-17-2019, 09:53 AM)a.k.mishra Wrote: 2) do I need to see proper sleep data before I proceed with the same.
No.  If you get an auto-titrating model, like the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, you can use that APAP feature to help you determine the correct pressures.  You can also use the Sleepyhead software, taking data from the machine's SD card, and post your Sleepyhead charts here on AB for the chart-interpreting experts to comment on and suggest changes to the machine's settings.

(02-17-2019, 09:53 AM)a.k.mishra Wrote: 3) In addition to that the price difference between those is just double.so is it worth enough to use go ??
No, not at all worth it, unless you really need a very small and lightweight machine for use while backpacking, powered by a battery.  For use at home from AC power, the full-size "Dreamstation Auto" is one possibility, but it's not nearly as good as the Resmed machines.

If you get a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset instead of the ones you've looked at so far, you won't be sorry.  It does everything you need.

(02-17-2019, 10:27 AM)a.k.mishra Wrote: So what should one choose airmini or go one ,,or is it better to go for the standard auto one not the travel.one ?

It depends entirely on whether you really need the smaller size and lighter weight. If you won't be backpacking with it, then it's almost always much better, in many ways, to get the full-size machine. You can travel with the full-size machine, and you can operate it from a battery; it's just somewhat larger and heavier than the travel machines are, that's all.

There are various discussions about, and reviews of, the Resmed Airmini and the Philips Dreamstation Go here on AB, in this main forum and in the Reviews forum, and you could read those for some background. (It takes a while, because there's a lot of stuff to search for and to read through.) If you really need the smaller machine, then which of those two models to get will depend on a lot of things, including whether you'll have a smartphone along with the machine (the Airmini requires that for configuration), and whether you'll need to run the machine from a battery instead of AC power, and what kind of battery you'll be using.

Also see: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-CPAP-Backpacking-with-a-travel-CPAP-using-a-CPAP-over-8-000-ft

And: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Tossing-up-between-AirMini-AirSense-Transcend-Auto

There are a few big differences in the firmware and algorithms between the Philips Respironics machines and the Resmed machines. Those are explained by Sleeprider in these two forum posts among others:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-New-to-APAP-50-days-in?pid=281361#pid281361

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-Dreamstation-AFLEX-vs-CFLEX?pid=273655#pid273655

Although in my earlier reply I carelessly lumped both of the travel machines together, the Resmed Airmini and the Phiips DS Go, that's not quite right, because there's more to it than the external details of how you configure the device and what power source you use. In my opinion, any patient who is dependent on either a good APAP algorithm or Resmed's EPR (up to 3 cmw of pressure support, or PS, without going to the next tier of machines, which is bi-level) should not get a Dreamstation: not the full-size one, and not the DS Go.

Elsewhere, I've mentioned that I'm a fan of the DS Go on paper and I intend to buy one in a few months. But that's only because I really need those external features of it, as compared to the Airmini, and my case is very average, simple OSA only, so that I can easily get by with no EPR (no pressure support) and no APAP. Just setting the machine to a particular fixed pressure and switching off the defective Philips "Flex" feature is good enough for my purposes; that will let me sleep well. So I am able to use the DS Go. Otherwise I would need an Airmini instead because it has the Resmed algorithmic goodies.

RE: Help me selecting the best CPAP Machine - a.k.mishra - 02-18-2019

Hi Friends ,

Thank you very much for your help.
I am attaching herewith my polysomnography report ..
Can you please go through the same and let me know if the same resmed autoset will be the best one for the same?

Can I use nasal pillow mask or the exhale  pressure will be very high if a use the same ,,as I understand that the algorithm in the resmed autoset for her will handle the exhale pressure very well?!!
Your feedback and helps is highly appreciated for the same .

Regards

RE: Help me selecting the best CPAP Machine - Sleeprider - 02-18-2019

I think you will be fine on CPAP with a nasal pillows mask, and I also don't think you are going to need very high pressures to treat your obstructive apnea and hypopnea. Your events are very clustered and mostly occur when you are on your right side. The clustering of events is something we see often, and sometimes those clusters are not responsive to higher pressure, but will respond readily to using a soft cervical collar to prevent chin-tucking that causes obstruction of the airway by pressuring the soft tissues at the front of the throat and under your chin, which translates up to the soft palate. The link to the Optimizing Therapy wiki describes this positional apnea, and would be a good read for you. CPAP will resolve your problem, but if the apnea clusters do not respond at lower pressures, then a soft collar is a way to improve results.

Let's take it one step at a time. You should be getting the machine and mask soon. Download the #Sleepyhead software, and we will help you find good settings within a few days of starting therapy.