Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New to Cpap - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New to Cpap (/Thread-New-to-Cpap--24269)

New to Cpap - ruthcatrin - 02-20-2019

After dealing with a severe bout of insomnia last year I finally went to see my primary doctor last September, she asked a bunch of questions and referred me for a sleep study, where it was determined that I pretty definitely had sleep apnea.  I finally picked up my cpap machine a week and a half ago.  After reading on here I understand that that sort of timeline isn't as unusual as I'd hoped.  

When I got the machine they refused to give me an auto-cpap unless the Pulmonary doc wrote a prescription specifying that I needed an auto machine.  My follow up with him is mid-March.  Mind, I'm not holding my breath that I'll be able to convince him, I've not been impressed with much of this process and especially that particular office, though to be fair I do realize that they're probably busy as heck and time is not on my side.  

My original symptoms included waking up with massive brain fog, waking up with a headache every morning, waking up "every hour" all night.  

In alot of ways I do feel much better.  I've been waking up every morning for god knows how long with massive brain fog, and even my first night with the cpap machine, I woke up with no fog at all.  And I haven't woken up with a headache once since I started using the machine.  So it IS helping me.  However this Friday will be two weeks with the machine and I'm still waking up multiple times a night.  Some of that is due to still getting used to the mask I think.  I have the sample pack of Remzzz pads on order in hopes of that being easier on me.  

I've attached my Sleepyhead charts for the last 3 days.  As best I can tell my numbers look really good, but I'm hoping that maybe you all will have an idea of adjustments I can make that might help.

[attachment=10339][attachment=10340][attachment=10341]

Ok, screenshots didn't work, lemme try that again

RE: New to Cpap - ruthcatrin - 02-20-2019

[attachment=10345][attachment=10344][attachment=10343]

Ok, I think that worked

RE: New to Cpap - ruthcatrin - 02-20-2019

Ok, I didn't realize it was scrolled down when I took those, so here's the scrolled up ones

[attachment=10346][attachment=10347][attachment=10348]

RE: New to Cpap - Sleeprider - 02-21-2019

At a CPAP pressure of 10.0, you are having less than 1 event per hour and even recorded a zero event night. Your needs are certainly being met by a fixed pressure CPAP, assuming you are for the most part comfortable. I think it would be challenging to say you "need" to change to auto CPAP, and I don't see anything that could be recommended to improve on these results.

You had the right of refusal before accepting your machine, and could have used a different supplier. That may have delayed getting a machine, but once you accepted the machine, the supplier has no obligation to take it back unless it is not performing adequately for your needs. The reimbursement code for CPAP and Auto CPAP is the same, and many companies just issue the auto CPAP. It is not a different prescription. Your supplier met the requirements of the prescription, and could have opted to do so with fixed or auto CPAP. They made a few more dollars, but at least you got the machine with data. At this point I think you should just drop it and focus on continuing to sleep well and deal with more important issues.

RE: New to Cpap - ruthcatrin - 02-21-2019

yah, the zero surprised me, I wish I knew what I'd done differently that night.

Thank you, thats kinda what I was thinking, but wanted to be sure.

RE: New to Cpap - Sleepster - 02-22-2019

(02-21-2019, 09:28 AM)ruthcatrin Wrote: yah, the zero surprised me, I wish I knew what I'd done differently that night.

It's just a natural variation.

RE: New to Cpap - cate1898 - 02-22-2019

Hey ruthcatrin welcome to the forum!

Sounds like we had a similar experience. I was always tired and never awoke rested. For a couple of years I started waking up around 4am with a booming headache. I went to my GP and told him and he was quick to say I probably had cluster migraines and was whipping out his prescription pad when I stopped him and told him I'd been researching it and really thought I had SA. After a short discussion he referred me to a sleep doc and the rest is history. Where I live in Ontario, doctors are not allowed to prescribe an auto cpap machine unless a patient's sleep titration shows certain parameters which at this point I don't remember what they are, but I did not qualify. Even if the patient is willing to pay extra we have to get the machine our results dictate. Kinda like we live in a CPAP dictatorship lol. Anyway I bought an auto cpap machine a few years ago and to be honest I don't notice any difference either during the night, or how I feel the next day using auto cpap VS fixed cpap at pressure of 10.

So, long story short, based on my experience, and the fact that your results are good you seem to be fine with a straight cpap. There's probably nothing to be gained from going auto.

RE: New to Cpap - Gideon - 02-22-2019

FYI in Ontario currently the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her is classified as a CPAP, The Autoset is classified as an APAP.  In other words, if you are from Ontario Canada request the Autoset for Her, and smile all the way home.

RE: New to Cpap - cate1898 - 02-22-2019

Probably a typo?? Oh well, years too late for me. My sleep doc also told me last year that we don't automatically get machine replacements every 5 years like some people I've heard about. We have to prove our machine is not functioning properly in order to qualify for another. Or, buy out of pocket.

RE: New to Cpap - ruthcatrin - 02-22-2019

Dontcha love the "rules" they insist on?

Thanks for the input Cate!