Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Cleaning and maintenance - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Cleaning and maintenance (/Thread-Cleaning-and-maintenance)

Cleaning and maintenance - Fiddy - 02-28-2019

What are the guidelines on cleaning and maintenance? I am paying out of pocket so would like to stretch my dollar as far as possible since the masks are costing me 60$ a pop.

How long does the main "climate air" hose from the machine last? Does that need to be replaced every so often as well?

How do i know when i need to replace some or all the parts on the P10 nasal pillow mask?

Have been using the machine for about a week now and have not cleaned it yet.

RE: Cleaning and maintenance - Big Guy - 02-28-2019

I'm new to all of this myself, and have been using my CPAP for about 6 months now. I'm still using the original climateline hose that came with my ResMed AutoSense 10. I'm thinking it can easily go at least a couple of years with proper care / use.

I retired my original AirFit F20 cushion at 5 months, as it was beginning to show some signs of yellowing and it was becoming pretty flimsy. The mask itself is still in great shape and I can see an easy 12-18 months use out of it. The headgear is doing fine and still has it's elasticity. 

I have good insurance and it covers my equipment replacement well. I've already received replacements. As far as how long the equipment will last, ultimately depends on the user. I tend to keep everything clean as possible. My cushion and mask gets wiped down every morning with a Clorox anti-bacterial wipe. The hose, hose elbow, headgear, and lid to the reservoir, gets a good washing once a week. 

The water reservoir is doing great and still looks like new. I empty it each morning and then it gets wiped dry with some tissue, and allowed some time to air dry as well. 

I'm not going to retire any equipment until I'm convinced it's time to do so. I do like having spares on hand and my DME provider has been good about that, shipping them as scheduled. 

The air filter in my machine is simple to clean and reuse, over and over. I'm still using the one that came in the machine.

RE: Cleaning and maintenance - Sleeprider - 02-28-2019

I have had heated tubing last the life of a machine back when I was using a Philips M-Series and bought the Aussie Heated Hose. That tube was expensive, but it lasted, and was the only one on the market until the manufacturers came out with their heated tubing. My recommendation for longevity is to buy an inexpensive fleece tube cover. It can prevent abrasion and incidental damage and help the tubing work better. Clean it once per month...yeah I know I'm a slob, but I usually let it go longer. It is more likely you will hurt the tubing during cleaning, than any other time, and as long as your system does not produce condensation, there isn't much potential for contamination. I like to have two of all consumables. Two tubes, two masks and two humidifier chambers. This lets things completely dry out before you use it again, and that is the best protection against contamination, and always means there is a standby. I get every thing free on a 3-month rotation, and no longer worry about this, but I have gotten many years out of humidifier chambers, tubing and even masks. I do like to change the cushions 2-3 times per year minimum, and under my current plan, I can retire them in a month. I used to hoard them, but now practically change them instead of wash.

RE: Cleaning and maintenance - Melman - 02-28-2019

All of the components will last much longer than the DME and supplier recommended replacement frequency. I have been using the same F20 mask and cushion for 23 months. I think from posts I've seen that P10 pillows may need to be replaced more frequently. I got a couple of years out of standard hoses. I've been usng the Resmed heated hose for 10 months. It's my first so I don't know how long it will last. I get 6-10 months use out of humidifier chambers before they develop small leaks. The only thing I change at thr recommended frequency is inlet filters monthly and that's primarily because they are dirt cheap and it is as much effort to change as to inspect. I suggest you just keep one spare of each item and replace as needed. You will save a lot.

(02-28-2019, 06:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have had heated tubing last the life of a machine back when I was using a Philips M-Series and bought the Aussie Heated Hose. That tube was expensive, but it lasted, and was the only one on the market until the manufacturers came out with their heated tubing.  My recommendation for longevity is to buy an inexpensive fleece tube cover.  It can prevent abrasion and incidental damage and help the tubing work better.  Clean it once per month...yeah I know I'm a slob, but I usually let it go longer. It is more likely you will hurt the tubing during cleaning, than any other time, and as long as your system does not produce condensation, there isn't much potential for contamination. I like to have two of all consumables. Two tubes, two masks and two humidifier chambers. This lets things completely dry out before you use it again, and that is the best protection against contamination, and always means there is a standby. I get every thing free on a 3-month rotation, and no longer worry about this, but I have gotten many years out of humidifier chambers, tubing and even masks. I do like to change the cushions 2-3 times per  year minimum, and under my current plan, I can retire them in a month.  I used to hoard them, but now practically change them instead of wash.

Good point on a hose cover! I have one for mine. I bought it about two weeks ago. The hose for my machine rests atop our bed headboard. If the hose shifts or moves around any, it's silent, thanks to the hose cover.

RE: Cleaning and maintenance - Melman - 02-28-2019

(02-28-2019, 06:19 PM)Big Guy Wrote: My cushion and mask gets wiped down every morning with a Clorox anti-bacterial wipe. T

Resmed recommends that chlorine cleaners not be used. You may be shortening the life of the mask and cushion.

RE: Cleaning and maintenance - mesenteria - 02-28-2019

Assuming one doesn't step on a hose, or let a pet 'play' with the cushion and hose, and that one keeps them relatively clean, most items should last many months.  I am still using the same headgear, cushion, and hose I was issued at my trial in December 2017, and don't see indications I should be ditching any of them.

So far, to be very forthright, I clean my cushion about once a week, and my hose about every two.  I wash the headgear once a month and let it air dry.  Again, 15 months since I was given them, and everything still works as designed.

By cleaning I mean rinse with warm water, and then turn to a soapy warm solution using whatever dish detergent happens to be in the kitchen sink hand pump.  After a rinse, I then slosh them in a potassium metabisulphite solution (the white powder dissolved in water to sterilize wine and beer bottles and their fermentation gear for home brewers).  The Sulphur fumes are a bit hard on the mucus membranes, but one soon learns to avoid them by keeping one's nose well away from the ends of the tubing...or the container's neck.

Rinse, hang to air dry, and they're good for another week or month.

The bisulphite powder will cost you all of $2.00 for about a cup's worth.  Cheap, cheap.  Mix one heaping teaspoon of it in one quart of water.  Keep it sealed with a good cap.  It can be reused if you are a real skinflint, but I just let it go down the drain.  You only need about a cup of it inside the hose, and once it is done, dribble it over and inside the previously washed and rinsed cushion.

(02-28-2019, 06:47 PM)Melman Wrote:
(02-28-2019, 06:19 PM)Big Guy Wrote: My cushion and mask gets wiped down every morning with a Clorox anti-bacterial wipe. T

Resmed recommends that chlorine cleaners not be used. You may be shortening the life of the mask and cushion.

You could be correct, and I do appreciate you pointing this out. I took a good look at the ingredients, and of course, none of them made any sense to me. Hell.....I can't even pronounce most of them. 

I can see where a cushion's life might be reduced to some varying degree by using the wipe. The mask though, is another issue. The mask itself is quite thick. I just don't see how it's service life could be reduced by any great degree. 

I also use a wipe on the quiet hose elbow and the hose collar that it fits into. That too, is quite heavy-duty. 

The wipe I use is bleach free, but does contain trace amounts of Ammonium Chloride, 0.184%.

But, for the time being, I'm going to stick with the Clorox wipes. I will however, check into other options.

RE: Cleaning and maintenance - ardenum - 03-01-2019

I'm 3 years under therapy i have 3 hoses. I have 2 masks, masks have the same silicone cushions they had when I bought them, i rinse them with hot water and some mild soap each week, i rinse the hose once a month, i clean the humidifier once a month with apple vinegar and then hot water, i dont clean the silicone humidifier seal with vinegar only hot water like the masks, the seal absorbs smells so it will smell with whatever you use on it.

My masks are philips dreamwear, my bipap is resmed.