Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
kicking and thrashing tonight—-why? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: kicking and thrashing tonight—-why? (/Thread-kicking-and-thrashing-tonight%E2%80%94-why)

kicking and thrashing tonight—-why? - Stiffdoc - 03-16-2019

Tonight I woke at 0215. My wife told me I had been kicking, moving around constantly and raising my arms up. I use a Resmed  Airsense 10, with a nasal mask. I have used this machine for 4 years, with no problems my nose is chronically congested, so I have to squirt decongestants in my nose before bedtime. She also said I was snoring, which doesn’t happen when my mask fits well and my nose is open. Was all this due to inadequate airflow through my nose?

RE: kicking and thrashing tonight—-why? - mesenteria - 03-16-2019

I am sorry to learn of your experience, and about you and your spouse's anxieties.  Very understandable.

It my have been exceptionally vivid dreams.  If it were an occlusion, it would show in the flow limitations just prior to your waking.  Take a look. [Have you become familiar with the freeware sleepyhead?  It's available at sourceforge.  Your machine may have an SD card in it and the data can be downloaded to the sleepyhead programme and scrutinized in graphic format.] But, if you really are having trouble getting air, it could be a head position problem (controlled by a cervical collar, as many resort to using), and even the rhinitis or congestion you are contending with.  It would be a small wonder you are thrashing.

Others will drop in and offer comments.   Please be patient.

RE: kicking and thrashing tonight—-why? - sheepless - 03-17-2019

how did your ahi compare to other mornings? obviously, snoring, flow limitations, OA and OH are related so if you were snoring more than usual you might have been having more events than usual as well.

before treatment - actually even during less than optimal treatment - I thrashed a lot struggling to breathe. really a lot. moaning, groaning, mumbling, cursing. foot roll, leg roll, neck roll, kicking, hitting shoulder/chest with fist, waving hands/arms above me. after 2+ years, finally getting my ahi down under 5 (actually, probably under 1) eased a lot of that activity.

I still have periodic leg movements that cause partial and full arousals. my sleeping body complains about these in similar ways as described above, but not often or as pronounced.

apnea and treatment can contribute to stress and anxiety which can also be reflected in sleep quality and activity.

if you snore open mouthed you're mouth breathing in or out or both so it could well be a congestion issue.

maybe try a chinstrap, soft cervical collar or tape to keep mouth closed as much as possible. maybe not tape if you are chronically congested. nasal pillow masks directed straight into nostrils are really great in clearing 'normal' congestion like from a cold.

watch this for a while. if/as it continues you might get a better feel for what's going on.

RE: kicking and thrashing tonight—-why? - Sleepster - 03-17-2019

(03-16-2019, 01:54 AM)Stiffdoc Wrote: my nose is chronically congested, so I have to squirt decongestants in my nose before bedtime.

This could be your problem. Decongestant sprays are not a good long term strategy. They will become ineffective. Have you talked to your doctor about this? There are steroid sprays such as flonase and antihistamine sprays such as astelin. The NeilMed sinus rinse kit is a good idea, it may work for you. For some people the saline sprays are enough.