Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Does mask type determine max humidity? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Does mask type determine max humidity? (/Thread-Does-mask-type-determine-max-humidity)

Pages: 1 2

Does mask type determine max humidity? - mogulman - 03-24-2019

Wondering if the type of mask determines max humidity with a machine before rainout?

I have an autoset 10.   I was using an n20 nasal mask .  I usually had climate control set for Auto or 5 at max.   Anything more and I would get rainout in my tube and nasal mask.

Switched to an n30i.   I noticed over the last week that I can go all the way up to 8 without any rainout.  

Only thing I can theorize is that the actual amount of humidity using the n30i is less because there are more air holes?

RE: Does mask type determine max humidity? - mesenteria - 03-25-2019

It could.  The larger masks have more internal structure and surface area, and more exposed on their outsides to room air, so you could see a buildup of condensate in the lowest recesses of the mask internally.

If you want to determine this empirically, keep a record of waking room temps for a couple of weeks, note your settings for humidity as you change them, and if you have a range of mask sizes that will not compromise your sleep therapy, see what effect mask sizes has.  Hopefully your room temperature doesn't have variance of more than a degree or two, but that's a faint hope unless you heat your room.  My wife and I don't, and we crack a window.

RE: Does mask type determine max humidity? - mogulman - 03-26-2019

my room temp is about the same (65) and humidity level has been pretty consistant in the room (About 30-35%).

I was thinking thinking it could be the mask itself, but now I'm thinking it may be the air flow. Not sure if this is possible.

With the n20, there was definitely water in the climateline tubing using any setting above 5. There is no water in the tubing using the N30i, even using a setting of 7 or 8.

RE: Does mask type determine max humidity? - mesenteria - 03-26-2019

I have my own N20 humidity reduced to 01 because I'm living in a humid climate most of the time.  When my settings were in the 4-8 range I, too, had water inside my mask most nights.  I have no experience with the other types of mask.  However, you do, and your hose doesn't change, only your mask.  So perhaps it's either shape or surface area, or both in combination that yields rainout.

RE: Does mask type determine max humidity? - mogulman - 03-26-2019

The N30i has airflow out of the top of the headpiece. It also has airflow around the nasal area of the mask. The N20 only has air flowing out near the mask.
I'm wondering if the dual exhaust areas on the N30i cause the actual humidity within the tubing and mask to be less.

I guess I'll have to see if anyone else with an N30i notices any difference.

RE: Does mask type determine max humidity? - Ticman1 - 05-10-2019

I have same mask and machine.  Been playing with that humidity level and the temperature level. Don’t have problems with rained out I’m just surprised at how much more water I am using with the N30i

RE: Does mask type determine max humidity? - Crimson Nape - 05-10-2019

Has the room's ambient humidity dropped at about the same time you tried the new mask?

RE: Does mask type determine max humidity? - jaswilliams - 05-10-2019

Leaks and increased pressure can also increase water usage, how does you leaks look

RE: Does mask type determine max humidity? - Ticman1 - 05-11-2019

Maybe a couple of degrees as we haven’t really transitioned to using air conditioning. 

Ideas??

RE: Does mask type determine max humidity? - OMyMyOHellYes - 05-14-2019

Ambient room temperature, ambient relative humidity in room, temperature of the water in the humogrifier vs that ambient room temp.

If room is already at high RH, you're not going to put much more moisture in the air. Maybe a LITTLE by raising the temp, but it will not be significant