Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
SD Memory Cards for S9 units - which type? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: SD Memory Cards for S9 units - which type? (/Thread-SD-Memory-Cards-for-S9-units-which-type)

Pages: 1 2

SD Memory Cards for S9 units - which type? - SuperSleeper - 02-21-2012

[Admin Note: this thread was originally in the Commercial Posts forum, complete with links commercial websites where one could purchase SD cards. The thread has other useful information in it, so I'm stripping out the commercial links and placing a copy of the edited thread here in the Main Forum. If you want to see the original thread with links, go here]

For those of you needing a 16 GB Sandisk SD Memory Card for your CPAP machine, I thought this was a good deal from Amazon, currently at around $15.00 on Amazon. Free Super Saver Shipping on orders totalling $25 also:

[link removed in order to place thread on Main Forum]

[Image: 41xy3mw5HbL._AA300_.jpg]

RE: Cheap price on 16 GB Sandisk SD Memory Card - BigJohn2 - 02-28-2012

Isn't a 2gb all you need on your S9 AutoSet?

RE: Cheap price on 16 GB Sandisk SD Memory Card - SuperSleeper - 02-28-2012

(02-28-2012, 11:49 AM)BigJohn2 Wrote: Isn't a 2gb all you need on your S9 AutoSet?

Yep, I think you're right... so 16GB might be heavy over-kill. Thinking-about

Welcome to the new forum, BigJohn2 Smile

RE: Cheap price on 16 GB Sandisk SD Memory Card - Steven - 02-28-2012

(02-28-2012, 11:49 AM)BigJohn2 Wrote: Isn't a 2gb all you need on your S9 AutoSet?

The ResMed SD Card that comes with the S9 AutoSet is actually only 1 GB and not even all of that is used.

I purchased a 2nd SD Card for my S9 AutoSet & the smallest I could find was 2 GB. With the newer SD cards being sold today with the much larger capacities, it is getting harder & harder to find 2 GB SD cards, much less a 1 GB one.

Some people have reported problems using the newer SD cards.

If you can still find them, I would purchase only an older version SD card no more than 2 GB. That is what ResMed has engineered to work in it's S9 AutoSet, so why invite problems.

Further, I would get the FREE SD Formatter software (Google it) which is specifically written to format SD Cards. I would not format my SD Card with anything else because it does strange things to 1 section of the SD Card that is never supposed to be touched when formating it. The SD Formatter Software leaves that section alone.

The 16 GB SD Card sold by Amazon (noted in Post #1 above) is an SDHC Card.
You want a plain vanilla SD Card (NO HC).

(02-28-2012, 05:08 PM)Steven Wrote: The 16 GB SD Card sold by Amazon (noted in Post #1 above) is an SDHC Card.

Hi Steven,

So these 16 GB SDHC cards won't work in an S9 unit for sure? Or are you just saying that they might have problems since the S9 units come with a standard 2GB SD and therefore were not designed to be used with larger cards using the newer SDHC standards.

I was under the impression that they made the newer SD cards to be backwards-compatible with older SD card reader/writers? On the specs it says, "fully compatible with all SD-compliant devices".

Inquiring minds want to know....Thinking-about

If these aren't backwards-compatible, I need to get on the ball and purchase one of the older ones before they sell out of them.

(02-28-2012, 05:25 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(02-28-2012, 05:08 PM)Steven Wrote: The 16 GB SD Card sold by Amazon (noted in Post #1 above) is an SDHC Card.

Hi Steven,

So these 16 GB SDHC cards won't work in an S9 unit for sure? Or are you just saying that they might have problems since the S9 units come with a standard 2GB SD and therefore were not designed to be used with larger cards using the newer SDHC standards.

I was under the impression that they made the newer SD cards to be backwards-compatible with older SD card reader/writers? On the specs it says, "fully compatible with all SD-compliant devices".

Inquiring minds want to know....Thinking-about

One might never have a problem using the newer cards in the S9.
Some use them & never have problems.

But some people have had problems. So why even take the chance.

Plus you will never use up the space in even a 1GB card, so why pay for more space.

Unfortunately, the time for even finding the plain vanilla SD cards (1 GB & 2 GB) is quickly running out. So, all that may be available for sale in the near future will be the SDHC cards.

(02-28-2012, 05:34 PM)Steven Wrote: Unfortunately, the time for even finding the plain vanilla SD cards (1 GB & 2 GB) is quickly running out. So, all that may be available for sale in the near future will be the SDHC cards.

Would this one be okay, you think?:

EDIT: nevermind, says availability in 2 months... wow.

(02-28-2012, 05:43 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(02-28-2012, 05:34 PM)Steven Wrote: Unfortunately, the time for even finding the plain vanilla SD cards (1 GB & 2 GB) is quickly running out. So, all that may be available for sale in the near future will be the SDHC cards.

Would this one be okay, you think?:

EDIT: nevermind, says availability in 2 months... wow.

Yep, that is exactly what "I" would buy.

I bought mine from Office Depot (their own brand "Dane").

It was listed on their website & said they had 1 in one of the local stores for $5.99.
So, I just went there to get it - just 5 blocks from me.

When I could not find it on the shelves, I asked for assistance & was told they had been removed from the shelves to make space for the newer cards. They had been moved behind the "Business" Counter where you go to have copies made, buy postage, etc. and had been "reduced for clearance" to $3.99. Of course, I don't know how they planned on selling many if they have them hidden behind that counter.

I alternate between my 2 SD cards once a week so I will have more time to download the data from the 1st card into ResScan before I have to put it back into the S9.

Reminds me of a story during the gas shortage days.

I don't remember the exact prices, but it went like this.

Someone was complaining to a gas station owner about his high prices.
The guy said X down the street sells that same gas for $1 less per gallon.
The owner said: Well, go buy your gas there.
The guy said: I would, but he is currently out of gas.
The owner said: When I am out of gas, I will be selling it for $2 less per gallon!

Thanks Steven!

What about this one: [link removed in order to place thread on Main Forum]

It looks like the other one, doesn't appear to be an SDHC, but it says it's a "class 2" SD card... will that work?

(02-28-2012, 05:58 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Thanks Steven!

What about this one: [link removed in order to place thread on Main Forum]

It looks like the other one, doesn't appear to be an SDHC, but it says it's a "class 2" SD card... will that work?

Don't really know what "Class 2" means, but "I" would buy it.