Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Equipment] What Mask Type Do You Use? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [Equipment] What Mask Type Do You Use? (/Thread-Equipment-What-Mask-Type-Do-You-Use)

Pages: 1 2 3

What Mask Type Do You Use? - brody287 - 03-27-2019

Hi everyone,

Just curious, what types of mask are you guys using? Personally, I'm using a FFM and haven't tried any of the other types. My old man has used a FFM for 15 years and considering I'm only in my twenties, it seemed most 'normal' to me as he's used it most of my life which is why I think I've adjusted to it so well. What do you use and what made you choose the type of mask you did the first time you tried CPAP?

RE: What Mask Type Do You Use? - sheepless - 03-27-2019

resmed p10 nasal pillows is the only mask I've used. for whatever reason, including beard and mustache, all of the other half-dozen masks they tried on me for titration night in the lab 2.5 years ago failed to seal. lip leaks continue to be a nuisance, mostly but not entirely mitigated by wearing a soft cervical collar.

RE: What Mask Type Do You Use? - yankees123 - 03-27-2019

Had difficulty keeping mouth closed with pillows or nasal masks.  
I alternate with the AirTouch f20 and the DreamWear full face.

RE: What Mask Type Do You Use? - Big Guy - 03-27-2019

I'm currently using an AirFit F20. It's the only mask that I have any experience with. I do have an AirFit F30 en-route and it should arrive on April 1. 

I do quite well with the F20. Not interested in any nasal mask. I'm a mouth-breather. If the F30 doesn't work out better for me, I'll just stick with the F20.

RE: What Mask Type Do You Use? - MitchS - 03-27-2019

I started out with a full face mask, moved to a Phillips Respironics Nuance Pro nasal pillow mask and then on to a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask. I recently changed to a F&P Brevida nasal pillow mask when I started having large leak issues with the P10.

RE: What Mask Type Do You Use? - OpalRose - 03-27-2019

Started out with the ResMed P10 Nasal Pillow Mask and still using it.  

I overcame mouth breathing early in my treatment by mastering the Tongue Suck Method.

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Slowly suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.

RE: What Mask Type Do You Use? - SleeplessinPgh - 03-27-2019

This old lady started with a Dreamwear cushion, then switched to Swift FX pillows, then Nuance Pro gel pillows (I may have forgotten one or two in there) before settling on Resmed P10 pillows. I've also tried the Brevida, but have trouble getting a good seal. Oh, and there was the short stint with a full face mask, but I couldn't overcome the claustrophobia. I feel like Goldilocks.

RE: What Mask Type Do You Use? - AndyB - 03-28-2019

I've tried all types, with varying success.  Started 4 yrs ago with a FFM to combat mouth breathing -- Simplus, F10 and F20 all worked OK, except all caused raw sores on my cheeks and the bridge of my nose.  Also tried nasal masks -- Eson & Wisp -- but they were not very comfortable, although somewhere along the way I stopped mouth breathing by sleeping on my side and wearing a cervical collar.  I'm currently using the P10 and Brevida pillow masks, both of which have been comfortable and effective, as long as I don't sleep on my back.  I've used the P10 for over a year but recently switched to the Brevida in an effort to reduce leaking, which has been a fairly consistent issue with the P10 mask, although my sleep doc says not to worry as long as my leaks don't exceed 10% per night.  Both the P10 and Brevida are light, quiet, efficacious and comfortable.

RE: What Mask Type Do You Use? - jaswilliams - 03-28-2019

I ticked using nasal pillows but that's my backup for the last few weeks I have been using the bleep sleep mask. There is no ma's or headgear it it stuck directly to your nose check out the website

RE: What Mask Type Do You Use? - SleepFoo - 03-28-2019

(03-27-2019, 08:26 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Started out with the ResMed P10 Nasal Pillow Mask and still using it.  

I overcame mouth breathing early in my treatment by mastering the Tongue Suck Method.

Tongue Suck Technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth.  Slowly suck upwards and back.
This places the tongue in a natural position, with the back of tongue sealing the back of the throat so that if you open your mouth/jaw while sleeping, no air will escape.

The first time I saw a post of yours mentioning this I didn't quite understand how this worked, maybe I didn't read a post with instructions.
I just tried this while sitting and typing and I can feel the suction kick in.
That is awesome!
It didn't seem to last very long tho. Can you provide how long or what you do when, etc, etc?

I tried full face masks because I was a mouth breather. After 4 of them I gave up because of sores and infections and discomfort from leaks. 
So I've tried three nasal masks:

The Phillips Respironics Dreamwear under the nose nasal mask; gives me sores, moves around by morning and leaks. The hose at the top seemed to pull too much when positions changed. The elbow at the top is suspect for some leakage too which I think affects the mask setting, possibly causing it to be a difficult mask to get just right.

The ResMed P10; I loved this mask when I first tried it. Because it doesn't have an elbow, it's much lighter and there's no tug. So no leakage for me. Don't have to tighten it up much either. But the issue I had was that the nasal inserts are too stiff for my nose. I think because that second internal support layer is there to keep it from collapsing that it stiffens it up too much.

The Phillips Respironics Nuance Pro; Is the mask I use. It is the mask of choice for me. It isn't as light as the P10 because it has that elbow. If they got rid of that, that would be awesome. It's a Gel so the nose inserts are sooooo soft. I have no sores or discomfort using them.
The only drawback is that unlike the P10's with that second support layer that stiffens them up, they need to be inserted properly. It can be tricky while learning how to get them right because you can feel air flow if you're not paying attention. But they need to be almost face straight up to allow a complete opening of flow.

Cheers