Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[Product Review] MAXOAK K5 297Wh CPAP Battery - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Product Review Forums (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Product-Review-Forums)
+---- Forum: Other Product Reviews (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Other-Product-Reviews)
+---- Thread: [Product Review] MAXOAK K5 297Wh CPAP Battery (/Thread-Product-Review-MAXOAK-K5-297Wh-CPAP-Battery)

Pages: 1 2

MAXOAK K5 297Wh CPAP Battery - go2sleep - 04-01-2019

I recently purchased the MAXOAK K5 Battery (300USD off AliExpress) for my Resmed Airsense 10, my main reason is camping and hiking, and I am putting it through its paces to test out how long it lasts. I thought I would share my data so everybody can benefit from it too.

Here is the test data. (I will update this post with more information when I have it)
My settings are pressure 4.5-6, EPAP enabled. I list the settings. How long i Used it. How much battery it drained. And calculate how many 8hr nights that means I can have with those settings.

Test 01. - All power draining functions enabled.

Heated hose on
Humidifier on
hours used 9.5
Starting % 99
Ending % 22
Total Drain % 77
% drained per hour 9.63
8hr nights potential 1.29

Test 02. - Heated hose turned off to save power.

Heated hose off
Humidifier on
hours used 7.16
Starting % 100
Ending % 63
Total Drain % 37
% drained per hour 5.17
8hr nights potential 2.42

RE: MAXOAK K5 297Wh CPAP Battery - Sleeprider - 04-01-2019

Nice unit with included connectors and useful test information. I notice it is the same price on Amazon and Ebay. These are compatible with both Resmed and Philips as well as other devices (the images for S9 and S10 are transposed here).

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

RE: MAXOAK K5 297Wh CPAP Battery - go2sleep - 04-02-2019

Hmm. I can't seem to find how to edit my post. So I'll post a reply instead

Test 3 - only heated hose this time.
Heated hose on
Humidifier off
Hours used 8.35
Starting % 100
Ending % 81
Total Drain % 19
% drained per hour 2.28
8hr nights potential 5.49

RE: MAXOAK K5 297Wh CPAP Battery - srlevine1 - 04-02-2019

A few questions, if you don't mind ...

What are you using to recharge the battery? And, how long does it take to bring it back to 100% from your deep discharge? Can you leave it plugged in continuously or do you need to periodically discharge and recharge -- or just leave disconnected and periodically charge?

Thanks.

RE: MAXOAK K5 297Wh CPAP Battery - go2sleep - 04-03-2019

I charge it by plugging it in to the main power. You get a transformer (power brick) with it, it charges at 3 Ampere and a full charge from 0 % to 100% takes ~5hours.

I tested with the USB port and it does not seem like it can charge a device while being charged itself.

I did not run a test tonight because I wanted to give my membranes a rest. But I am confident that running it without any heating at all (hose or humidifier) will yield a lot of nights with CPAP. If you use it in a tent, the air will be humid anyway, so it might not be very brutal on your mucus membranes.

RE: MAXOAK K5 297Wh CPAP Battery - srlevine1 - 04-03-2019

Thanks

You could always run the humidifier with the chamber full of water for the "pass-over" humidity effect -- and leave the humidifier off. I found that if I really wanted to run without a humidifier, I get better results with the accessory "end-plate" rather than the emply humidifier chamber. 

So you can test with the humidifier off and still keep the membranes moist.

Steve

RE: MAXOAK K5 297Wh CPAP Battery - go2sleep - 04-03-2019

That is very good advice. I have never thought of it like that! I will try it tonight. Smile

RE: MAXOAK K5 297Wh CPAP Battery - go2sleep - 04-06-2019

Test 4. Every heating feature off

Heated hose off
Humidifier off
Hours used 8.25
Starting % 100
Ending % 87
Total Drain % 13
% drained per hour 1.58
8hr nights potential 7.92

RE: MAXOAK K5 297Wh CPAP Battery - srlevine1 - 04-06-2019

Thanks again.

Now I willl have to purchase one and see how your power consumption numbers are derated for a pressure range of 12-16 and then running straight CPAP at 14 (my 95% value).

-- steve

RE: MAXOAK K5 297Wh CPAP Battery - go2sleep - 04-06-2019

Nice. Let us know how it goes Smile
Just some heads up:
You cannot take this battery on an airplane, it's too powerful. Maybe a waiver can be obtained.
There is no way to turn off the backlit screen during usage, you will have to put something over it, I use a sock
The last few percent have a warning beep every minute, to wake people up, (I guess this is for oxygen patients) and there is no way to turn off that feature. So in practice, the last few percent are unusable for sleeping. I think it starts at 5%