Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Recommendation on extension cord for international use - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Recommendation on extension cord for international use (/Thread-Recommendation-on-extension-cord-for-international-use)

Recommendation on extension cord for international use - vroomvroom - 04-25-2019

I will be traveling to mainly Europe and Asia and would like a well-certified UL rated extension cord that is travel friendly. I already have the adapter plugs from Kickstarter, which should take care of proper voltage, but I assume that is if the item is directly connected to the device. Not sure what happens when an extension cord is used. 

Moderator Note: Kickstarter appears to be a platform for CrowdFunding projects.  
The Commercial link has been removed. Please see our rules concerning CrowdFunding projects and also Commercial Links (see here).

I probably would want 1-3 feet extension cord? I think anything more than that is probably going to start getting bulky.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----

RE: Recommendation on extension cord for international use - RNeil - 05-01-2019

You can get an extension cord at any hardware store. You said that your adapter takes care of the voltage. Most of them do not. They simply adapt for the mechanical difference in the plug.

You need to read the label on your machine. In the US, we have 120 volts and 60 hertz (cycles per second). In Europe, they use 240 volts and 50 hertz. You did not say where in Asia, but it will be one of those voltages and one of those frequencys. 

My F&P Icon says it takes 100-240 volts and 50 or 60 hertz. So I could use the simple adapter.

RE: Recommendation on extension cord for international use - retlif - 05-01-2019

ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset for Her has a built-in voltage rectifier that takes 100–240V, 50–60Hz 1.0–1.5A (AC Voltage). 
I hope you didn't get ripped off on your kickstarter adapter plugs that claims to a voltage transformer too.
There is really no need to overthink the extension cables. Your typical run of the mill extension cords or power strip will do fine. If you suspect that the areas you are visiting have poor electrical standards/infrastructure (like blackouts or high risk of thunderstrikes), then perhaps you can consider getting a surge-protected power strip for a peace of mind.

RE: Recommendation on extension cord for international use - Technopauper - 05-01-2019

I bought this one because its 240/110V and also has USBs and its nice and flat, robust and also pretty light. Everything I plug in other than USBs has a Tx which is good for both voltages so this works for me - this is the description on Amazon

Power Strip with USB Charger,Mibote Smart 4-Outlet Surge Protector Power Bar with 4 Port USB Charger 6ft Power Cord 2500W 100-240V

This is also my fave adapter, nice design again with USBs

Universal Travel Adapter, HAOZI All-in-one International Power Adapter 2.4A Dual USB, European Adapter Travel Power Adapter Wall Charger UK, EU, AU, Asia Covers 150+Countries

I travel constantly and really like both these

Rob

RE: Recommendation on extension cord for international use - DaveL - 05-02-2019

Wonderful suggestions...
I've found I often need more than 3 feet...so I carry a surge protector with a 6 foot cord for North American travel.
A surge protector helped me once. I won't be without one now.