Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Boiling Nasal Pillows - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Boiling Nasal Pillows (/Thread-Boiling-Nasal-Pillows--2506)

Pages: 1 2 3

Boiling Nasal Pillows - Bompa - 01-13-2013

My ResMed Swift FX pillows don't seem to last very long, acouple of cleanings in Baby Shampoo and warm water and they lose their tacky seal.
I searched the Forum and there was a topic on boiling them with baking soda. Nowhere could I find the proper mix of water and soda and especially how long they should be boiled.
I would like to get more than three or four uses out of each set.

Any suggestions for me???
Thanks
Dont-know

RE: Boiling Nasal Pillows - Bompa - 01-13-2013

Nobody has any ideas?????

Huh

RE: Boiling Nasal Pillows - PaulaO2 - 01-13-2013

I thought the ratio was in that other thread? Near the end?

RE: Boiling Nasal Pillows - Bompa - 01-13-2013

(01-13-2013, 07:07 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I thought the ratio was in that other thread? Near the end?

Yes I missed that! Thank you

But I still like to know how long they should remain in the boil?

Sorry!!Hammer

RE: Boiling Nasal Pillows - kitley - 01-13-2013

(01-13-2013, 07:37 AM)Bompa Wrote: My ResMed Swift FX pillows don't seem to last very long, acouple of cleanings in Baby Shampoo and warm water and they lose their tacky seal.
I searched the Forum and there was a topic on boiling them with baking soda. Nowhere could I find the proper mix of water and soda and especially how long they should be boiled.
I would like to get more than three or four uses out of each set.

Any suggestions for me???
Thanks
Dont-know

Don't know the answer...but can tell you I could only get 3 weeks out of nasal pillows before they hardened. My provider contacted the supplier who could come up with no reason other than it is just me. I switched to a nasal mask...and have now used the same one for many, many months and it is still as soft as the day I first used it. Good luck to you.

RE: Boiling Nasal Pillows - PaulaO2 - 01-13-2013

Well, as for time frame, I'd say feel them before you put them in then keep poking with wooden spoon until you think they are soft enough.

I also suggest NOT doing this to the only pair you have. Try an old set first!

RE: Boiling Nasal Pillows - gjw - 01-14-2013

Hi Bompa

Maybe try a diluted dishwashing detergent instead of baby shampoo. The shampoo could contain oils or softeners that harm the silicon used in the pillows.

;-> gjw

RE: Boiling Nasal Pillows - Allen - 01-14-2013

(01-14-2013, 10:21 AM)gjw Wrote: Hi Bompa

Maybe try a diluted dishwashing detergent instead of baby shampoo. The shampoo could contain oils or softeners that harm the silicon used in the pillows.

;-> gjw

Baby shampoo is one of the cleaning agents recommended by ResMed

RE: Boiling Nasal Pillows - PaulaO2 - 01-14-2013

I was surprised at that, Allen. Baby shampoo can be a skin irritant to a lot of people. I can't use any of them. It is also very hard to rinse off, especially Johnson and Johnson's.

RE: Boiling Nasal Pillows - Allen - 01-15-2013

(01-14-2013, 06:13 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I was surprised at that, Allen. Baby shampoo can be a skin irritant to a lot of people. I can't use any of them. It is also very hard to rinse off, especially Johnson and Johnson's.

I had been using a generic brand fragrance free baby shampoo with no issues, but when I went to buy more they had sold out, so I bought a brand name baby shampoo and have had a slight reaction to it. I now have another bottle of the generic brand.