Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Trying CPAP one last time... AHI looks really bad - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Trying CPAP one last time... AHI looks really bad (/Thread-Trying-CPAP-one-last-time-AHI-looks-really-bad)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Trying CPAP one last time... AHI looks really bad - gsilver - 06-21-2019

I had a pretty rough night last night. I think that I slept through a reasonable amount of the night, but I felt pretty awful and ended up having to lie down for about 4 hours today (an hour after I first got up but before work, over an hour during work breaks, so tired that I asked to be let out early, then just under two hours after I got home)
The AHI scores since starting have been 0.15, 0.26, 0.56, 0.15, 0.87, and then last night was 1.8. 

Attached is the chart from last night, and one from two nights prior (same settings) where I felt fine.

RE: Trying CPAP one last time... AHI looks really bad - ajack - 06-21-2019

You need the min epap raised and the max PS opened up to the highest, to give the machine a full range of movement. You can see you are getting flat tops on the top of the pressure chart.
discounting the bad night ..try min epap 5.6

Check for positional apnea and the need for a $10 foam cervical collar

EDIT, saw in your avatar that you have a nasal mask and oscar has a FFM. If you have a FFM, I'd use that while you are setting up the machine......Check that there is no air diffusion under the mask, like when you get a bit of stubble. That will also make the machine run up the pressure, trying to get it functioning. The FFM should work and I prefer those. The machine has a mask fit function that blows high pressure. to see what is happening.

RE: Trying CPAP one last time... AHI looks really bad - Dormeo - 06-22-2019

To follow up on ajack’s post, be sure your machine is set for the type of mask you’re actually using.

RE: Trying CPAP one last time... AHI looks really bad - gsilver - 06-23-2019

I tried a cervical collar on Friday night, and it really made my neck hurt when I woke up, which lasted a good part of the day. Should I try to find a softer one?
I skipped it last night. AHI was <0.2, but I was still really tired both today and yesterday.
I ran the mask fit on Saturday.

I’ll try the increased EPAP and turn max pressure support all the way tonight.

RE: Trying CPAP one last time... AHI looks really bad - ajack - 06-23-2019

What I would like to see on your charts, is areas where max pressure is reduced. What was the results on the chart. Did it reduce max pressure areas? It would be worth posting that. If it was effective, a smaller size may be needed in the longer term. You can also get pillows that support the neck and let the head go back. After seeing what position the head should be in, you can adjust your sleep posture.

Did you use the mask fit function that blows high pressure air? Mask seal is more important on ASV than CPAP.

RE: Trying CPAP one last time... AHI looks really bad - Dormeo - 06-23-2019

You might take a look on Amazon at the Dr. Dakota collar. Might it be more comfortable for you? If you get one and fastening the strap gives you trouble, let me know. There’s a little fix for that.

Yes, I ran the mask fit routine on Friday night.

I don’t see a big change either way in terms of where it was at max pressure, with Friday looking pretty similar to the first 4 nights (though Thursday and Saturday had big chunks of max pressure), but I’ll order a different collar and give it a shot. The Dr Dakota one looks to be out of stock on Amazon, and I can get it from elsewhere, but other stores won’t have next-day shipping like Amazon do.

Here are some charts from Friday night with the collar, with the overall night and when it went from full pressure to low pressure after a hypopnea.

RE: Trying CPAP one last time... AHI looks really bad - Dormeo - 06-23-2019

No expertise to contribute, but when I compare this chart to your first—wow! It may take some time to feel the full benefits, but clearly you are headed straight in the right direction.

(06-23-2019, 09:00 PM)Dormeo Wrote: No expertise to contribute, but when I compare this chart to your first—wow!  It may take some time to feel the full benefits, but clearly you are headed straight in the right direction.

Yeah. The very first chart was waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy over my untreated AHI... It probably didn't help that my old sleep doctor didn't bother to do a titration study Dont-know

RE: Trying CPAP one last time... AHI looks really bad - ajack - 06-23-2019

For Friday. The 95% on this chart is 14.8, the 95% on the previous chart was 19. I'd call a drop of 4cm @ 95% a significant difference, if it turns out to be the new average. I'd work some more on the mask, it may be the issue.

I'd move higher the max PS, the machine can't reach 25 with your settings. I'd also raise the min epap, a bit less that before to 5, because of the improvement. Once you are around the mark, you would use the 7 or 30 day averages to set min epap