Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Dreamstation Go portable power solutions - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Dreamstation Go portable power solutions (/Thread-Dreamstation-Go-portable-power-solutions)

Pages: 1 2 3

Dreamstation Go portable power solutions - kotaKat - 05-29-2019

Hey all,

So, last year around this time I was fighting with my doctor to get a machine and go about things the right way - and finally this year I've gotten my paws on a Dreamstation Auto as well as a companion Dreamstation Go for when I travel! Things are finally looking up sleep health wise.

I'm very curious about third party power solutions for the Dreamstation Go. I'd like to avoid having to shell out $350 for a specialized battery if I can (especially because as a ham radio operator and general tinker-er I have access to lots of electronic gear that can generate and store power).

Anyone tried using the Pilot 24 kit that comes with a Dreamstation Go cable yet? They've obviously cracked the pinout of the rear battery connector, so I assume straight 12V in will just work off that adapter...

RE: Dreamstation Go portable power solutions - Sleep2Snore - 05-31-2019

Straight answer, I don't know.
Let us know if you try anything or find something that works.

RE: Dreamstation Go portable power solutions - blubaju - 05-31-2019

I do not understand the concept of the dreamstation GO from a users point. 

Dreamstation runs with 12V, GO 100 to 240 ONLY!
there is a simple 12V cable (with monster magnets ) for the Dreamstation, can be used in any car, camper, boat. GO only works with 110/230V
Unless winter I usually do not use the humidifier, but it will work on 12V, the GO has no humidifier at all. 
Dreamstation will work with ANY 12V Power Pack (Airlines restrict to 160Wh!). GO has its own obsolete battery pack once you change brand or model for a very high price.

IMHO, the "ordinary" Dreamstation is the one to be used on the go ;-)
Dreamstation GO is a designers nightmare from the users point of view!
Dreamstation GO would be great with a 12V CAR-type input (engine allowed to run, e.g. in a boat, right now operation with running engine is not allowed for the Dreamstation!)

The Dreamstation GO is not imported to my country, according to my supplier the pressure regulation is beyond safety tolerance and the design has above flaws.

RE: Dreamstation Go portable power solutions - kotaKat - 05-31-2019

The Go technically DOES run on 24*V. If you remove the rear shell, there's not only the AC inlet, but an 8-pin Molex Mini-Fit connector. Someone at Medistrom has the pinout most likely, since they have a 24V to Dreamstation Go connector for their own version of an overpriced battery pack.

Basically, once I figure out what the pinout is, I can either A) modify their cable or B) make my own 24V universal cable. I won't get the battery status information that Philips has for the official pack, but I'll be able to run it from 24VDC from any supply and bypass inverter inefficiencies.

Quick update: Apparently I didn't realize -- the battery they have a cable for is a 24V external battery. I assume that means the Philips pack is also 24V.

Either way -- I've ordered the Pilot24 Lite cable kit to figure out what pins the 24V lurks on. More reading the Philips pack is indeed 18-24.6V.

RE: Dreamstation Go portable power solutions - blubaju - 06-01-2019

Dreamstation GO, original battery pack = reason for me not to buy
Copied and translated from German manual

operating hours >8 makes one night only
Output Voltage 18–24,6 V DC directly to Dreamstation GO
Battery technology Lithium-Ion
Capacity: 62 Wh O N L Y
Input Voltage 100–240 V AC, 50/60 Hz, 2,0–1,0 A NO official DC-Input!
Output power: 50 W
Life span: ≥70 % capacity after 500 charging cycles (roughly 2 years life time)
Charging time <5 hours

Good for you if have a higher DC-Voltage supply, I need it on a boat or sometimes as backup in the car, only 12 V there

RE: Dreamstation Go portable power solutions - kotaKat - 06-02-2019

I'm plotting to work with a 12V -> 24V boost converter for "universal" support. Smile

Also plotting to see if variable voltage - that is, trying 20VDC directly, because I might be able to rig up a cable to use USB-C Power Delivery and have it pull 20V3A off a 65W USB-C brick or battery pack.

RE: Dreamstation Go portable power solutions - Diotima245 - 06-02-2019

The Medistrom battery is a good choice and is TSA compliant... also look up Freedom CPAP battery.

RE: Dreamstation Go portable power solutions - kotaKat - 06-02-2019

As soon as they say "CPAP" the battery goes up nearly $200 more than it should be. That's what I'm trying to avoid. Medistrom is great and all, except...

90% of these CPAP external batteries look like the external laptop battery I used to have in my computer carts -- a big lithium pack with DC in and DC out ranging from 3V to 24V. They're charging for the privilege of saying "it works with a CPAP!" and charging way too much. Just like ozone sanitizing products ala SoClean... there's always a cheaper option you may not think about.

My goals are basically:
  • Main goal: Run from 12V anywhere - solar, battery, PowerPole setups, etc
  • Secondary goal: OmniCharge support (a nice battery pack with configurable DC out that's only around $140 for a 20Ah variant currently)
  • Tertiary goal: Possibly power from USB-C batteries/power bricks with USB-C PD adapter

RE: Dreamstation Go portable power solutions - blubaju - 06-03-2019

I give up on Dreamstation GO, I give up on Power Pack, the ones allowed on airplanes will bring me through one night only, so what. In some 3-world countries with nightly brownouts they might make sense, I am 70 soon, do not remember even one brownout in my city. Camping, boating I use the 12V cord for the Dreamstation without the GO ;-)

Good luck for your project ;-)

RE: Dreamstation Go portable power solutions - blubaju - 06-03-2019

AMAZON.DE:

MEDISTROM Pilot-12 CPAP Batterie/Backup-Stromquelle für Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP, Respironics RemStar System One, Devilbiss Intellipap II CPAP. Includes EU Adapter.

745,52 € ~ 833 US$

this isn't PR, this is to proof incredible prices