Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Details Matter - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Details Matter (/Thread-Details-Matter)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Details Matter - Donna - 05-30-2019

I have an appointment tomorrow to pickup a new machine. I requested from my physician office the Resmed Airsense Autoset for Her. The DME company gave me a copy of the physician order at which point I noticed they ordered "Resmed Airsense for Her @ 10cmH2O - No Substitute". A little research was shocking. I did not realize that there are both Resmed Autoset and fixed set machines available, which are totally different. The machine the Dr. ordered for me was the fixed pressure model. I called the Dr. office and the nurse acted put out that I requested autoset, informing me that the Dr. had ordered what I needed. Several times she informed me that he IS the doctor. I tried to explain that since this machine will be a huge part of my life for the next 5+ years, it would seem that the latest technology would be a better option for potential upcoming needs. I'm afraid I have offended my physician and/or his staff with my request. Apparently details matter so, if you are planning on a new machine, make sure that every single word of your choice is included on your physician order. As for me, guess I can kiss the neat autoset feature goodbye.

RE: Details Matter - Melman - 05-30-2019

Have you asked the DME if they will provide an autoset set with a fixed pressure of 10? I don't believe there is a fixed pressure resmed for her. The for her has an additional algorithm for adjusting pressure in response to your needs. It would be pointless to include it in a fixed pressure machine. It seems if the DME can't substitute and the doc specified "for her" they have little choice. It's to their advantage to give you a fixed pressure machine because it is cheaper but insurance pays the same for both machines.

EDIT: Just to clarify. If your Dr ordered the airsense 10 for her he ordered that autoset since there is no other for her model. The pressure setting is a separate issue. The autoset for her can be set in a fixed pressure mode.

RE: Details Matter - Gideon - 05-30-2019

The "Resmed Airsense for Her" is only the AutoSet for her. ANY other machine is a "substitute" Per the Rx it should be set in CPAP mode with a fixed pressure of 10 cmw

That is what it means and if it is not that state I am leaving now and when can I come back and get the machine the Doctor Specified as "No Substitute"

RE: Details Matter - OpalRose - 05-30-2019

The fact that your doc wrote the perscription using the words “for her” set at a fixed pressure of 10 means you should get exactly that. The “for her” model is an AutoSet machine with three modes:
Cpap, AutoCpap and the For Her Mode.

Alternatively ask your doctor (not the receptionist) to revise the script to say ResMed AutoSet for Her set to a Cpap pressure of 10.

Call and demand to talk to your doctor and get this taken care of. You have that right.

Also you might want to remind your DME that the script says “for her” and the “for her” is an AutoSet machine, off white in color with floral design. They can follow the doctors perscription by setting it to a pressure of 10. That is minor because you can learn to change that yourself in time.

RE: Details Matter - Donna - 05-30-2019

The "For Her" verbiage may be my only saving grace. There is a fixed pressure airsense but it doesn't specify "for Her".
https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/products/devices/airsense-10-cpap.html

Correct, two different machines.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

RE: Details Matter - Sleepster - 05-30-2019

(05-30-2019, 10:17 AM)Donna Wrote: I'm afraid I have offended my physician and/or his staff with my request.

It could just be that they are being grumpy. Do-what-the-doctor-says is the order of the day. Every day.

Quote:As for me, guess I can kiss the neat autoset feature goodbye.

Heck, no! Just refuse to take delivery of anything you don't want.

If necessary, find a new DME. If that doesn't work, find a new doctor. You deserve the right to get the machine you need.

RE: Details Matter - Donna - 05-30-2019

I received a phone call this afternoon from the grumpy nurse who was short with me this morning. She said she discussed my concerns with my physician and he was fine with my request. They were faxing a revised order to the DME supplier today for a Resmed Airsense Autoset for Her with a setting of 5 - 20 cmH2O. I was told to go to my appointment tomorrow as scheduled. We will see how that works out tomorrow morning. But, I will not accept anything less than what I requested and if I am offered anything else, I plan to leave empty-handed. Geez! Why does everything have to be so complicated? I just want a drama-free treatment plan and a good nights sleep!

As long as there is a DME between Doctor and Patient, it will never be drama free. Smile

RE: Details Matter - Big Guy - 05-30-2019

(05-30-2019, 06:38 PM)Donna Wrote: I received a phone call this afternoon from the grumpy nurse who was short with me this morning. She said she discussed my concerns with my physician and he was fine with my request. They were faxing a revised order to the DME supplier today for a Resmed Airsense Autoset for Her with a setting of 5 - 20 cmH2O. I was told to go to my appointment tomorrow as scheduled. We will see how that works out tomorrow morning. But, I will not accept anything less than what I requested and if I am offered anything else, I plan to leave empty-handed. Geez! Why does everything have to be so complicated? I just want a drama-free treatment plan and a good nights sleep!

Good to hear that it has been cleared up. Hope all goes well for you.