Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] Does the infarction affect the breathing in the device? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] Does the infarction affect the breathing in the device? (/Thread-CPAP-Does-the-infarction-affect-the-breathing-in-the-device)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Does the infarction affect the breathing in the device? - lech - 05-31-2019

After the infarction, I began to stifle slightly with the ResMed. As a result of a heart attack, I sometimes breathe like a fish thrown ashore. I now have 59 events / min. The doctor says that myocardial infarction has nothing to do with it, it lowered my pressure in the apparatus (4-11), but it is still the same, that is, a huge number of events. But at the same time I have a good sleep. Does this mean that the cpap can be broken and misdiagnosed?

RE: Does the infarction affect the breathing in the device? - ardenum - 05-31-2019

What types of events you're having? Central or Obstructive?
What type of doctor it was that said infarction has nothing to do with it?

RE: Does the infarction affect the breathing in the device? - Melman - 05-31-2019

It appears you have a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Is that correct? I suggest you change your profile to show the machine rather than number. Most on the forum will have no idea what the number corresponds to. It is difficult to advise you without more data. I suggest you download the free OSCAR software and post some nightly data organized as described in the links below. You stated 59 events/min. Do you mean your AHI read from the screen on the machine is 59? That would be events per hour, which is still much too high. 4-11 is probably too low a pressure but it is difficult to suggest a correct pressure without more information. You will need an SD card in your machine to collect data and transfer it ti your computer. Any SD card between 2 and 32GB will work. Get the least expensive. If you have more questions please post them. We would like to help you.

RE: Does the infarction affect the breathing in the device? - lech - 06-01-2019

Obstructive
competent and good doctor

I have AirSense 10 with SD card. What will the Oscar program give me?

I would like to hear someone's answer, not consider computer programs.

RE: Does the infarction affect the breathing in the device? - Sleeprider - 06-01-2019

Lech, the program gives us a great deal of information to work from. Among the important data points is the types of events, the pressures they occur at, your machine settings and many other pieces of information. Without the information, we can only speculate or ask you to check the on-screen sleep report to tell us. At this point, we have established you are using a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. From your profile it may be set at fixed pressure of 13, although I have no idea what 13,1 means. Your first post advises your pressure has been changed to 4-11 by the doctor, and ask if the CPAP is malfunctioning. Most "events" recorded by the CPAP are at least 10 seconds in duration to be scored. so an event rate of 59/min is impossible, but perhaps 59/hour?

We cannot answer your questions unless you post a chart. It is possible that following your heart attack, your apnea events became central in nature, rather than obstructive. If so, then your auto CPAP is no longer the correct therapy! We can help, but you do need to help us by providing useful clues and information. So far, we don't have much.

See my results from the ResScan program. Infarction: May 26

RE: Does the infarction affect the breathing in the device? - Sleeprider - 06-01-2019

Based on a report from 8/24/17 to 9/22/17, you were using a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with minimum pressure of 4.0 and maximum pressure of 15.0 and EPR at 3.0, with a a 5-minute ramp. Your median pressure is 7.8 and 95% pressure is 10.6. Leaks are relatively high at an average of 13.1 and 95% of 49.2. Your AHI averaged 4.2 events per hour at 1.3 OA, 0.6 CA and 0.9 UA, and 0.8 H.

Based on these results, I would conclude your minimum pressure of 4.0 is not effective, and the minimum should be increased to 7.0. That makes sense because with your EPR set at 3, your starting pressure would be 7/4 (IPAP/EPAP), and your machine would be much more responsive in preventing obstructive events and flow limitations. With the minimum pressure at 4.0, your pressure starts off at 4/4 and progresses to 5/4, 6/4, 7/4 etc. Your EPAP is stuck in the hole and that is what needs to rise to prevent obstructive apnea. So your minimum pressure is inadequate to meet your therapeutic needs, and contributes to your "feeling" that your breathing like a fish out of water. You are simply starved for air at this low starting pressure. Easily fixed by raising the minimum to 7.0. I further recommend you turn off ramp. Unless you simply must have the lower pressure this is what is leading your feeling stressed and starved for air.

Increase minimum pressure to 7.0 and turn off ramp and I think you will be much more comfortable and enjoy a lower AHI. Keep in mind we are dealing with data that is nearly 1-1/2 years old and assuming it is representative of your current issues.

mistake, heart attack: 18 may