Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Blood Pressure - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Blood Pressure (/Thread-Blood-Pressure)

Blood Pressure - jimy - 01-17-2013

I have reciently been dealing with a cold/flu, and was unable to use my APAP machine for approximately a 2 week period. When I went to see the doctor to get meds, it was pointed out to me that my blood pressure was high, slightly over 200 systolic. I was unaware of high blood pressure and no history here that I was aware of anyway.

I have been back on APAP the last 5 night and my blood pressure is now around 140 systolic. Has any one else experienced this big a drop as I do know OSA is a factor in high blood pressure.

Thanks all. Smile

RE: Blood Pressure - trish6hundred - 01-17-2013

Hi jimy and WELCOME! to the forum.!
That's great that your blood pressure came back down when you started using your CPAP machine again.
Best of luck to you with CPAP therapy.

RE: Blood Pressure - Ugly - 01-17-2013

(01-17-2013, 08:58 AM)jimy Wrote: I have reciently been dealing with a cold/flu, and was unable to use my APAP machine for approximately a 2 week period. When I went to see the doctor to get meds, it was pointed out to me that my blood pressure was high, slightly over 200 systolic. I was unaware of high blood pressure and no history here that I was aware of anyway.

I have been back on APAP the last 5 night and my blood pressure is now around 140 systolic. Has any one else experienced this big a drop as I do know OSA is a factor in high blood pressure.

I don't keep stats but frankly, I can believe it. Get a good decongestant so you can breathe (hot peppers may be cheaper and can often do the trick) as I think my blood pressure was stabilized as well with regular CPAP usage.

RE: Blood Pressure - PaulaO2 - 01-17-2013

Oh heck yeah. Blood pressure and CPAP are very connected. I've got a long story about it. Between being off the CPAP for that long and being sick, yes, your blood pressure will go up.

And don't ever stop using your CPAP during a cold! It's not necessary to stop it and will delay your healing. The pressure will keep your nose clear and the humidity will help, too.

RE: Blood Pressure - jimy - 01-20-2013

Thanks for all the help everyone. Smile

RE: Blood Pressure - Sleepster - 01-20-2013

(01-17-2013, 08:58 AM)jimy Wrote: I have been back on APAP the last 5 night and my blood pressure is now around 140 systolic. Has any one else experienced this big a drop as I do know OSA is a factor in high blood pressure.

CPAP therapy is known to lower blood pressure. Mine went from about 135/97 to about 122/85. When I exercise it drops even further.

RE: Blood Pressure - Greer19 - 01-21-2013

Decongestants will raise blood pressure. If you had been taking them at the time you were sick, and then had discontinued their use before going back to CPAP useage, then that could have been a lot of the sudden drop.