Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
US Tariffs and/or FDA restrictions on import of CPAP for personal use - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: US Tariffs and/or FDA restrictions on import of CPAP for personal use (/Thread-US-Tariffs-and-or-FDA-restrictions-on-import-of-CPAP-for-personal-use)

US Tariffs and/or FDA restrictions on import of CPAP for personal use - MarkSc - 06-01-2019

Just wondering if any members from the US have received an international shipment of a CPAP purchased for personal use from an EU seller? If so, can you advise on how US Customs and/or FDA regulations apply to this? The underlying questions here are 
a.) Are there tariffs enforced on medical devices for personal use? 
b.) Are there FDA restrictions that are enforced that would cause a CPAP to be held?

Somewhat related but different, I can tell you I am one of many thousands in the US that purchase prescription drugs for personal use. Sellers are Canadian Online Pharmacy sites but the meds usually shipped from EU countries. My understanding is that this is technically not legal under US law but if the quantities are for personal use then Customs policy is to let it through. I just don't know if medical equipment such as a CPAP is given the same treatment as prescription meds.  

With all due appreciation to those who would share their experience clearing US Customs when traveling into the country with your CPAP, please save that for a different thread. Been there, done that. This is not the same thing.

RE: US Tariffs and/or FDA restrictions on import of CPAP for personal use - Sleeprider - 06-01-2019

I’m not aware of US tariffs being applied to durable medical equipment from anywhere in the world. Significant imports from China and Australia, but the European manufacturers don’t appear to export to the US and it may be they don’t want to go through FDA approval. I really don’t know. On the other hand most countries that import from the US apply VAT and other taxes making the equipment much more expensive for consumers. This probably explains why so many Europeans, Asians and others from around the world attempt to find US vendors that will ship overseas, and why that is often cost effective even with $100 USD shipping costs.

RE: US Tariffs and/or FDA restrictions on import of CPAP for personal use - MarkSc - 06-05-2019

I was actually inquiring to see what problems might arise from purchasing a CPAP from a private seller in an EU country. Sorry for not making that clear. I had found what looked like a good deal on a lightly used Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. Lacking reliable info on duties and possible restrictions on DME requiring a prescription  I decided it was not worth the headache. 

Instead I found a good deal on a like-new S9 with less then 100 hours of use here in the States. This is to replace my S9 with 11,000 hours use which I have been perfectly happy with... so I figure there is no point in messing with success. Old S9 gets relegated to travel use now and to have as a backup.