Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Leaking ResMed F20 Mask - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Leaking ResMed F20 Mask (/Thread-Leaking-ResMed-F20-Mask)

Leaking ResMed F20 Mask - jerrydaw - 06-10-2019

I have a problem.  My mask leaks so much and makes so much noise, that my wife has developed a sleeping problem and has moved into one of the other bedrooms.  I am an ASV machine user and as a result, it generates high pressures during the night.  Often, these pressures cause the edges of the mask to leak air which makes a bubbling noise.  This has not affected my AHI's, which still vary between  0.1 and 2.0.

I have been using a full face mask since going on the ASV machine because my sleep doctor told me that i had to give up my prior nasal pillow mask because it would not take the higher pressures.  A while back, I tried the ResMed foam edge masks and they also leaked.  I really hate to ratchet the straps on any mask so tightly that it feels like a heavy load strapped behind an 18 wheeler. That would make ruts in my face.

Does anyone have any ideas, or other mask suggestions that may solve my problem and get my wife back in the same bed with me?

RE: Leaking ResMed F20 Mask - sheepless - 06-10-2019

I don't agree that pillows can't handle higher pressures. they may or may not work for you but I suspect mask fit and mouth leaks over pressure as the problem. I've only ever used the airfit p10 nasal pillows and I've had my apap pressure reaching almost 20cmw and my asv to almost 25cmw at times. I don't notice any mask leaks ever, except maybe while I scratch my nose or lip. I do get more lip leaks and aerophagia as pressure rises. my current settings do not result in pressure over 20cmw and lip leaks are managed by wearing a soft cervical collar. your min ipap looks to be 12cmw which isn't really all that high. asv pressure support tends to rise and fall quickly so the time at high pressures tends to be short. have you checked the time of your leaks against the pressure graph? I find my lip leaks aren't usually a function of pressure but session duration; my sleep is fragmented and I get more leaks in the longer sessions, presumably due to back sleeping in times of deeper sleep. you can check manufacturers' websites for mask specs to ensure they're designed for standard machine pressures. in the end, it comes down to fit. and trial and error.

RE: Leaking ResMed F20 Mask - jaswilliams - 06-11-2019

(06-10-2019, 05:05 PM)jerrydaw Wrote: I have a problem.  My mask leaks so much and makes so much noise, that my wife has developed a sleeping problem and has moved into one of the other bedrooms.  I am an ASV machine user and as a result, it generates high pressures during the night.  Often, these pressures cause the edges of the mask to leak air which makes a bubbling noise.  This has not affected my AHI's, which still vary between  0.1 and 2.0.

I have been using a full face mask since going on the ASV machine because my sleep doctor told me that i had to give up my prior nasal pillow mask because it would not take the higher pressures.  A while back, I tried the ResMed foam edge masks and they also leaked.  I really hate to ratchet the straps on any mask so tightly that it feels like a heavy load strapped behind an 18 wheeler. That would make ruts in my face.

Does anyone have any ideas, or other mask suggestions that may solve my problem and get my wife back in the same bed with me?

I use a Resmed P10 pillows and now the Bleepsleep Dreamports (No headgear at all) with my ASV with pressures upto 25 just go back to your old mask. There is no need to us a Full Face mask in fact due to the larger surface area of a Full Face mask leaking can be worse.

RE: Leaking ResMed F20 Mask - DaveL - 06-11-2019

I tried this mask. My trial didn't work out. My issue was leakage.
I went back to using a nasal mask and a chinstrap, or wedge under my jaw to prevent mouthbreathing.

I found the mask very comfortable to wear; I wish it had worked for me. I tried remedies like careful mask washing to remove facial oils.

Years ago I learned to ask these questions...(I was a baby engineer back then.)
If it's not working, did it ever work?
If it did, what's changed?

How old is your mask? Seems to me they wear out and may need replacement before they start to wear...

RE: Leaking ResMed F20 Mask - Kosoku - 06-11-2019

Here is how I fixed the leaking issue of my F20. I run EPAP of 15 and a PS of 3 so pressure of 15-18 with no noise now and extremely little leaks unless I am really tossing and turning. face farts are completely gone. I am also using the same sock I used initially. I just wash the pieces and rotate them weekly. Also on the same F20 mask for a year now. Bought a new one when I was eligible under my coverage, but have yet to use it.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-AirFit-F20-homemade-Mask-Liner

RE: Leaking ResMed F20 Mask - wesozzzz - 06-11-2019

HI

I was using a F20 mask as a part of a trial but changed to a F+P Simplus mask which I found doesnt leak . My machine pressure is currently set at 14cm.
Hope you find a solution. Smile

RE: Leaking ResMed F20 Mask - SarcasticDave94 - 06-11-2019

jerrydaw,

Same mask. I’ve tried both AirFit and AirTouch AKA silicone and memory foam. Normally leaks controlled well via silicone but for me not so well on mem foam. I have S M L sizes in silicone; I find I need to swap sizes when weight fluctuates.

Maybe try another size and/or swap in a new version of what works best for you. I learned the hard way to never torque the straps tightly. Only tighten enough to seal which ought not to be much. Of course, that is assuming you and that mask are really suited.