Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Mixed questions - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Mixed questions (/Thread-Mixed-questions)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Mixed questions - Dormeo - 06-13-2019

“Positional apnea” means an obstructive apnea or hypopnea that is caused by your sleep position—often by your tucking your chin while you sleep. This would be bad in the same way any obstructive event would be bad.

If mouth leaks are causing you to wake up, they will also contribute to your feeling tired the next day. So the right collar might help you on both fronts.

RE: Mixed questions - Sleepster - 06-13-2019

(06-13-2019, 09:43 AM)405. Wrote: I feel like I need a certain pillow that would give me neck support.

Try the Papillow or the like. Go to Amazon and search for "Core Products Fiber CPAP Pillow - 4" Loft".

You want a pillow that is thick enough to keep your head well above the mattress, but with a small footprint so that you can hang your chin off the edge a bit. The curves in the footprint help you find little nooks where you can tuck your mask.

Quote:In the group that says 'Machine Settings' / 'Patient Access', why does it say "yes"?

This is a message from the manufacturer to, not you, but the DME/caregiver. If the DME sets it to "yes" it means that he is giving you, the patient, access to the machine settings. The default mindset is that the patient, you or me or any of us, is too stupid to know how to use those features so they don't give us access. In their defense, having someone just change the settings without a full understanding of their function would be dangerous or if not at least harmful then less than beneficial. The catch is that all they have to do is educate the patients, but that would take time and in many cases not work on sleep-deprived patients with impaired cognition. To their credit, some caregivers do a good job of checking their patient's data, talking with their patients about the data, and encourage the patients to be more proactive in their approach to CPAP therapy. Unfortunately, there are far too many caregivers, perhaps a majority, who can't be bothered.

(06-13-2019, 12:31 PM)405. Wrote: I still feel a little tired is the positional apnea partly the reason for that?

See below. It could be.

(06-13-2019, 01:40 PM)Dormeo Wrote: If mouth leaks are causing you to wake up, they will also contribute to your feeling tired the next day. So the right collar might help you on both fronts.

I agree with this. Leaks can ruin the effectiveness of your therapy. It's impossible for the CPAP machine to maintain the pressure splint in your airway (which simply means keep your airway open) when there is too much air leaking out.

But those leaks, even if they are not large enough to cause this problem, can still ruin your night's sleep. Because they keep waking you up, whether you realize it or not. The research shows that even a perfectly healthy person can wake up during the night and have no memory of it in the morning.

RE: Mixed questions - 405. - 06-14-2019

I just had time to breeze through these and I will look more indepoth this evening. I have got to rake all this in and try to understand it better. If I got the Cpap pillow would I still need the4 collar?

Thanks

RE: Mixed questions - Melman - 06-14-2019

Given my experience you will probably still need the collar. I started with a buckwheat chaff pillow and it did help stabilize my head position but I frequently change positions and that's when the collar is necessary. I've had the best results using both.

RE: Mixed questions - Gideon - 06-14-2019

I would bump your min pressure to 15. You are showing some chin tucking
I wouldn't be against testing without a collar, it is possible for pillows to fix the chin tucking but the collar is much more reliable at doing it.

RE: Mixed questions - 405. - 06-16-2019

I cant believe how busy you guys are compared to just 2 years ago. The information coming from you guys is packed with information. So much that I have to study it to be able to even comprehend it. I want to know though and that's the only way to learn.

The consensus is that I have to get a cervical collar. I thought I would find one in town but no such luck.
I studied the 2 products that Bonjour posted and have decided to go with the 'Dr Snore'; even though the strap is supposedly supposed to be a pain. When I get this I will be back and post the results.

Thank all of you very much!

Thanks

PS: Everyone of you that posted, I sincerely appreciate it!

RE: Mixed questions - Dormeo - 06-16-2019

Do you mean the Dr. Dakota? If so, yes, the strap is a pain, but I found an easy fix. I opened the seam on the fabric that covers the elastic in back, then placed a few stitches to tack it back onto the elastic in an open position. That way you still protect the skin on the back of your neck but have full access to the strap adjustment.

RE: Mixed questions - trailrider - 06-16-2019

A comment about the leaks and nasal pillows: your strap has probably stretched. It is no longer holding the pillows snugly enough and a toss or turn is jarring it loose. I bought a new one and the problem went away for me. The new ones come with a clip now to tighten loosened straps. Elastic fatigue is a thing.

RE: Mixed questions - 405. - 06-20-2019

trailrider You are absolutely 100% correct. I have 2 new head gear in the closet and I am going to replace it today. I have noticed a difference and didn't put it together.

I always have off the wall questions and I have just thought of another one. Now that I have taken charge of my own sleep apnea, what value is the cellular data? I will probably leave it on just to peek at the myAir app on my phone but other than that what good does it do? I bought the machine used; off of craigslist. I dont think anyone cares about my sleep data. Does resmed use it for research? When I took it in to the DME he wasted no time registering it somewhere. Now I don't even use the DME, I use Amazon.

And lastly, The Dr. Snore sleep collar, is not available on amazon or Walmart. Does someone know of a website that doesn't charge so much for these?