Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
scrap your c-pap? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: scrap your c-pap? (/Thread-scrap-your-c-pap)

Pages: 1 2 3

scrap your c-pap? - pegster0323 - 01-21-2013

Hi has anyone heard of the dentist and the mouthpiece you can wear instead of the c-pap?I am a mouthbreather and where a full face mask for 3 yrs and just can not get use to it losing lots of sleep,just wondering if anyone has had any advice on this mouthpiece??

RE: scrap your c-pap? - Shastzi - 01-21-2013

I have seen folks shell out a barrel of cash for those things and then still be told to get on/stay on CPAP.
Your mileage may vary.

Tongue
If you are having mask problems then, if you can post more about what machine and make/model mask you are using
and what specific issues you are having, someone is sure to help you.

Cheers!

Wink

RE: scrap your c-pap? - Sleepster - 01-21-2013

(01-21-2013, 07:40 AM)pegster0323 Wrote: Hi has anyone heard of the dentist and the mouthpiece you can wear instead of the c-pap?I am a mouthbreather and where a full face mask for 3 yrs and just can not get use to it losing lots of sleep,just wondering if anyone has had any advice on this mouthpiece??

Three years is a long time to be adjusting to a CPAP machine. Have you tried a hybrid mask? You need to try a variety of masks to find the one that's right for you.

Why are you wearing a full face mask and not a nasal mask?

The dental appliances work for some people, but their effectiveness is marginal.

RE: scrap your c-pap? - trish6hundred - 01-21-2013

Hi pegster0323,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try another type of mask and see if that helps you.
I have heard pros and cons about the dental appliances; I know I'm not willing to scrap my CPAP just yet.
Best of luck to you on getting optimal CPAP therapy.

RE: scrap your c-pap? - zimlich - 01-21-2013

Some people have excellent results from Dental appliances. They work to move the lower jaw forward to keep the airway open. Google them and read as much as you can about them. For goodness sakes if you decide to try one find a dentist who specializes in these devices. They are not one size fits all and can require adjustments, plus a sleep study is really a good idea after a couple of months of therapy. They can cost in the neighborhood of $2,000.
Good luck, keep us posted. Oh, please do not try an OTC type no matter the savings, to be effective they need to be made and adjusted for you.

Also, a method I use all the time now for more comforable, leak free fit is Macks silicone earplugs. I soften some in my hands and then roll into a pencil diameter string and place around mask where it fits the face. This usually stops all but most leaks.
Mary

RE: scrap your c-pap? - Ugly - 01-21-2013

(01-21-2013, 07:40 AM)pegster0323 Wrote: Hi has anyone heard of the dentist and the mouthpiece you can wear instead of the c-pap?I am a mouthbreather and where a full face mask for 3 yrs and just can not get use to it losing lots of sleep,just wondering if anyone has had any advice on this mouthpiece??

I've heard of such a thing. But when I ask if it works for central apnea it's like, duh, I don't know!
Huh

RE: scrap your c-pap? - archangle - 01-21-2013

It's lovely when it works. Unfortunately, success rate is low, insurance coverage is poor, and it costs you whether it works or not.

Also, there's no way to tell whether it's working or not without another $leep $tudy.

I will disagree about the OTC type working. The custom version may have a better success rate, but the OTC might work too. If the OTC type works, you might want to go ahead and get a custom appliance later.

I think of dental appliances for apnea as mostly a "false hope" type of solution. Or maybe a "faint hope" device.

There can also be complications from mechanically pulling your jaw forward with a dental device.

There's a reason we say CPAP is "the gold standard" of treatment.

RE: scrap your c-pap? - PaulaO2 - 01-21-2013

There was someone here who was able to lower the pressure of her CPAP by taking two mouth guards, adhering them together, then wearing that at night. It somehow helped to pull his/her jaw forward enough that she/he had less events and it took less pressure to open the airway when one did happen. They still had to use the CPAP, just at a lower, more tolerable level.

RE: scrap your c-pap? - zimlich - 01-22-2013

Ugly, I'm almost sure a dental device would not work for central or mixed apnea, now that you mention it. There's a reason they call them clear airway apneas. The stimulus to breathe is not there for that breath, so even if the airway is open. Good point.
Someone also mentioned that once you buy it, it's yours. I just returned a ASV machine on rental yesterday.
Also, I did say I would NOT try and OTC device, though maybe I wasn't clear enough. Some of them have very good pitches and are in the hundreds of dollars so you believe they might work. I confess I fell for one such spiel. A very nice, recommanded by another cpaper, boil and bite, adjustable. It was way to unccomfortable to wear. Also mentioned is that some people use them in conjunction with CPPAP for better results.

RE: scrap your c-pap? - TheWerkz - 01-22-2013

There's been a few studies comparing efficacy between an oral appliance and CPAP.

The oral appliances don't work very well for moderate to severe OSA, if your OSA is mild you might get an AHI < 5.