Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
best high pressure mask for no leaks - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: best high pressure mask for no leaks (/Thread-best-high-pressure-mask-for-no-leaks)

Pages: 1 2 3

best high pressure mask for no leaks - dragoneye - 06-28-2019

I run high pressures on my machine for years and years and have never gotten a good seal, not even once over nine years. I use the Resmed Mirage Quattro in large, and was told that it was the only mask available for high pressures 9 years ago. What say you talented folks here, need advice on this......sick of the squealing and blowing Thanks

RE: best high pressure mask for no leaks - sheepless - 06-28-2019

I've only ever used airfit p10 nasal pillows. have run up to 25 cmw with this mask and it never leaks. I do get lip leaks though and manage them best possible with a soft cervical collar. still using same frame and strap from Nov. 2016, rotating between 3 cushions so far. mask fit is unique to each of us and requires trial and error, unless you get lucky like I did.

RE: best high pressure mask for no leaks - SarcasticDave94 - 06-28-2019

Not having tried lots of masks that are available, I currently own 2 separate types. My backup is the Respironics hybrid Amara View. It was deemed good until I received the ResMed F20 AirFit. I also have the F20 AirTouch seal in medium that, for me, gets ranked 2nd. I do occasionally hit 25 on the pressure scale, so an F20 can work for you.

Take note though that an individual mask of a certain size may or may not be your best choice. The mask choice in its entirety will be strictly individual need and requirements based. As far as I know, almost all masks of today handle even the higher pressures, given the stipulation that it’s the correct size and fit for you.

Coffee

RE: best high pressure mask for no leaks - SarcasticDave94 - 06-28-2019

PS: given certain individual needs and mask construction, variations in timing need to be considered when it comes to mask parts needing replacement to maintain proper seal.

RE: best high pressure mask for no leaks - mesenteria - 06-28-2019

(06-28-2019, 02:54 PM)dragoneye Wrote: I run high pressures on my machine for years and years and have never gotten a good seal, not even once over nine years. I use the Resmed Mirage Quattro in large, and was told that it was the only mask available for high pressures 9 years ago. What say you talented folks here, need advice on this......sick of the squealing and blowing Thanks

I would say that all this time, and I'm sorry you've had to endure it so long, you have had either an inappropriate/defective mask, or that it hasn't been properly adjusted/fitted for you.  Mebbe both.

I wear a mask with a max of 8 cm.  Hardly anything to crow about.  But, while I never have 'large' leaks, I do get some blow-by if I deflect or deform my nasal mask while I sleep.  This almost always happens when I roll over on my side.  What I mean to suggest is that, even with low pressures, a mask is going to leak if it isn't worn properly or used properly.  If you get leaks with such large pressures, it means to me that it is not 'retained' properly against your face, not because it has so much pressure behind it.  You must adjust your strapping or try another mask altogether.

RE: best high pressure mask for no leaks - StevesSp - 06-28-2019

It sounds counter-intuitive, but leaks can arise through OVER tightening the straps, at least on FF masks like I use.

The design of the Resmed cushion (I have never used any other mask) relies on air getting between the layers and 'inflating' the cushion a little, which then allows it to better conform to the shape of your face. If you have the straps too tight, this inflation is inhibited and leaks would be more likely.

I expect that FF masks from different manufacturers will be shaped differently, like motorcycle helmets. For instance, a medium Shoei might fit OK but you need a large Arai. I guess the same goes for masks and, again like helmets, the shell shape of one manufacturer might fit you better than another, quite apart from the size. Only trial and error will get you to the best mask for your face!

RE: best high pressure mask for no leaks - PaulaO2 - 06-28-2019

I use the Nuance pillow mask with 15-20 pressure. I've never been able to get a FFM or total full face to work without massive leaks. The Simplus is the closest I've gotten and even then, I had to use liners. That's the thing with masks. Each face is different.

RE: best high pressure mask for no leaks - Gideon - 06-30-2019

As stated above masks are the most difficult part of therapy, why? Simply because each of our faces are different.

Old masks used a balloon that had to be forced to conform to your face to seal, the old, please don't use this now, if it leaks make it tighter philosophy.

Modern mask seal with a flap of silicone that CPAP pressure actually holds to your face. Believe it or not higher pressures actually make a tighter seal. They leak either because the mask doesn't fit your face (your facial contours when sleeping do not sufficiently match the mask, because the mask manufacturers do not know true beauty Wink ) or because the straps are really,really loose and your mask is floating like a hovercraft.

RE: best high pressure mask for no leaks - DaveL - 07-01-2019

(06-28-2019, 02:54 PM)dragoneye Wrote: I run high pressures on my machine for years and years and have never gotten a good seal, not even once over nine years. I use the Resmed Mirage Quattro in large, and was told that it was the only mask available for high pressures 9 years ago. What say you talented folks here, need advice on this......sick of the squealing and blowing Thanks

I hope you are getting the answers you want.

Brings back memories for me.  My story doesn't matter...but I only started improving sleep quality when I started asking for help here. My sleep-doc didn't care. My DME (supplier) didn't care.  If I wore my mask and had my machine on for 4 hours I was compliant.

First change for me was I started networking. (I talked to everyone I saw with strap marks on their face)

Second change was I stopped going to my sleep doc. (Eventually got a new one.)

Third change was I found a good DME by referral.

And I found this forum.  Makes a huge difference for me.

Find a good mask One that works for you. It will make a huge difference and improve your sleep quality.

Hope this helps.

DaveL

RE: best high pressure mask for no leaks - dragoneye - 07-01-2019

No one cared for me either....the Doctor, Lincare, or anyone else. Thanks to you folks, I have a brand new Resmed Airfit F20 and my numbers are .2 events per hour