Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
restless legs and cymbalta - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: restless legs and cymbalta (/Thread-restless-legs-and-cymbalta)

restless legs and cymbalta - Mouchet - 07-15-2019

Hello I started 60 mg cymbalta recently.  NO I keep waking up with leg pains about 3-4 times per night.

How to combat this?  Gabapentin made me too sleepy and fearful of mirapex. 
Does xanax or flexeril work?

My AHI was only 1.9 despite waking up 4 times last night, is this accurate?

ed

RE: restless legs and cymbalta - Bubba45 - 07-15-2019

I have RLS. I'm taking both gabapentin and Mirapex (generic). My RLS is very much under control now. I wouldn't characterize it as painful though. Never has been. Very annoying and would certainly affect my sleep, but no pain.

Has your doctor diagnosed you with RLS?

RE: restless legs and cymbalta - sheepless - 07-15-2019

I often suffer restless legs before falling asleep. it's the need to voluntarily tense leg muscles to relieve agitation or creepy crawlies. people that have restless legs often have periodic limb movement and vice versa but not necessarily both. plm are involuntary and occur during sleep. we are not aware of them. I have never felt any leg pain associated with either rls or plm (agitation with rls but not pain). I had arousals from plm in my at home sleep study but they were not reported to me until I asked a third time for copies of my reports. when I complained repeatedly about fragmented sleep and rls, I was given a prescription for gabapentin. besides the Rx warnings scaring me off it, my subjective sense was that it made the rls worse. at the time I did not know how to recognize my respiratory response to plm in my flow rate so I didn't check that. last night I had an ahi of 0.00 with 9 mask off and dozens of wake/rollover/go back to sleep events. I believe many of these are related to plm arousals. even so, I had an ahi of 0.00 so apparently periodic leg movements aren't related to apnea (although I will say that I struggled and thrashed mightily in the throes of apnea and the fight to breathe before cpap, but that's different than plm). sorry I know nothing about cymbalta. I'm afraid I don't have anything more to offer other than to suggest leg pain could be associated with back pain. and, you're probably aware that it's not uncommon to get leg cramps and that may be eased by eating bananas or other sources of potassium. I have no qualifications to justify this but I doubt waking with leg pain is directly related to rls or apnea.

RE: restless legs and cymbalta - Homerec130 - 07-16-2019

My wife has RLS as well as chronic pain (back and leg). She takes 60 mg of cymbalta for depression as well as some off label use for nerve activity. Her neurologist put her on ropinerole (sp) for RLS and it has worked quite well. She is also on APAP and we are in the process of trying to get her machine set.

RE: restless legs and cymbalta - divinitous - 07-22-2019

I can't speak for the medications but I have RLS and found that using magnesium before bed helps. Make sure it's compatible with your medications.

Below is what I specifically use.

Doctor's Best High Absorption Chelated Magnesium

RE: restless legs and cymbalta - Mosquitobait - 07-23-2019

I just wanted to say that it appears RLS is multi-causal which is also why some obvious meds don't work for everybody. I just have to chill my legs before sleep and keep them cool. My sister's, on the other hand, needed their legs very warm to reduce the RLS. For most though, hot or cold doesn't make any difference.