Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Saline nasal rinse - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Saline nasal rinse (/Thread-Saline-nasal-rinse)

Pages: 1 2

Saline nasal rinse - Rcgop - 07-18-2019

Recently I had a few bad days of congestion. I thought it was just allergies but I have recently been tested and I have no airborne allergies. I think I have a sinus infection. For the last 2 days I have used a saline rinse and it has helped tremendously. 

Is there anyone with positive or negative experiences with using a saline rinse on a regular basis?

RE: Saline nasal rinse - OpalRose - 07-18-2019

I use a saline spray morning and night, with no apparent side effects except relief.
I also use a saline rinse in a squeeze bottle once a week. The one I like best is called XLear. (bought on Amazon)

But if you know you have a sinus infection, you probably need to see your doctor.

RE: Saline nasal rinse - WSHenry - 07-18-2019

Hi,

I use a saline rinse every week or so just to keep the sinuses clear of dust and pollen. I use the NeilMed product with the included plastic squeeze bottle. It's amazing what a little bit of Sodium Chloride and Bicarbonate of Soda mixed with sterile water can do in cleaning these areas. I find it soothing.

If you're concerned with an infection, please see your medical provider. The saline rinse will not address that.

I've found that since being on PAP therapy, my nasal passages have remained clear. This may be due to both the airway pressure applied as well as the added humidity.

RE: Saline nasal rinse - Dormeo - 07-18-2019

As WSHenry says, you need to see a doctor for diagnosis and treatment of a sinus infection. But if your congestion is caused by, say, particulate matter irritating your nasal passages, then the rinse could certainly help.

RE: Saline nasal rinse - StevesSp - 07-18-2019

I suffer chronic sinus problems including congestion. The symptoms are usually mild, but irritating. It means I struggle to breathe through my nose, have intermittent problems with hearing and smell, and occassionally have problems with a bad smell actually originating in my nose ...

Numerous trips to doctors brought no relief or solutions other than, "We could try surgery, but it probably won't do much." along with prescriptions for decongestants, including some I'm not actualy supposed to use due to other health issues (it pays to consult Dr Google).

I use a Neti pot for warm saline irrigation, which does a good job of restoring some of my sense of smell and hearing, though the effects only last for a few hours. So far at least, I haven't encountered a downside, so it's worth it even for temporary relief.

I also use 'earplanes' when flying, otherwise I suffer excruciating barotrauma pain and can be rendered 80% deaf for an hour or two after landing.

RE: Saline nasal rinse - Bob Swaney - 07-19-2019

Yes.  I use it regularly.  My Allergist recommended.  One huge point in doing this is to use Distilled water, not tap water.  If you use tap water you can come down with some nasty bugs.  You can buy a gallon for about a buck at Walgreens etc.  
 Hope this helped.

RE: Saline nasal rinse - Rcgop - 07-22-2019

(07-19-2019, 08:47 PM)Bob Swaney Wrote: Yes.  I use it regularly.  My Allergist recommended.  One huge point in doing this is to use Distilled water, not tap water.  If you use tap water you can come down with some nasty bugs.  You can buy a gallon for about a buck at Walgreens etc.  
 Hope this helped.

Never thought about the water aspect of it. Thanks. 
 Not concerned about curing a head cold, just the congestion caused by it and long term effects of a saline rinse.

RE: Saline nasal rinse - Bob Swaney - 07-22-2019

(07-22-2019, 08:42 AM)Rcgop Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 08:47 PM)Bob Swaney Wrote: Yes.  I use it regularly.  My Allergist recommended.  One huge point in doing this is to use Distilled water, not tap water.  If you use tap water you can come down with some nasty bugs.  You can buy a gallon for about a buck at Walgreens etc.  
 Hope this helped.

Never thought about the water aspect of it. Thanks. 
 Not concerned about curing a head cold, just the congestion caused by it and long term effects of a saline rinse.
Thanks. I hope you also use distilled water in your CPAP tank. We are literally inhaling the water into our lungs.

RE: Saline nasal rinse - Melman - 07-22-2019

There is no infection risk associated with using tap water in the humidifier. Very little if any water is inhaled since humidification is by evaporation and very little is aerosolized. We inhale much more aerosolized water in the shower than from our CPAP. There is a rare health hazard associated with use of tap water for large volume irrigation such as with a a neti pot but that is very different. Also, there is a misconception that distilled water purchased at grocery stores or big box stores  is sterile. it is not. The only truly sterile distilled water is USP sterile water for injection or irrigation and it is much more expensive.  The only advantage to the use of distilled water is the avoidance of mineral scale build up.

RE: Saline nasal rinse - divinitous - 07-22-2019

I use it twice a day and it's pretty much a life saver for me now.