Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Help with data!!! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Help with data!!! (/Thread-Help-with-data--2580)

Pages: 1 2

Help with data!!! - roady666 - 01-25-2013

Hi Guys

Only just received the card reader for my Autoset spirit 11, I use a breeze nasal pillow mask. pressure 9 - 15.

Whilst I believe that I am benefiting from the therapy I never really feel refreshed in the morning.
Any and all interpretation of the attached data (1 night) plus summary below is welcome.

I tend to waken a number of times a night, the summary data for the past 6 months plus the few detailed nights indicate air is escaping through my mouth, dry mouth etc.
As a test last night I used microporous tape to keep my mouth closed (I know I should not do this).

Summary data
Pressure Median 9.6 - 95th Percentile 11.0 - Max 12.0
leak Median 2.4 - 95th Percentile 25.2 - Max 46.8
AHI (events/hr 10.4 - Apnea index 1.6 - Hypopnea Index 8.8
Average use 7.5 hours per day

Cheers

John

RE: Help with data!!! - PollCat - 01-25-2013

Welcome, John.Welcome

If you are waking up several times each night, it's doubtful you are benefiting from the therapy. Have you tried a chin strap to keep your mouth closed at night?

RE: Help with data!!! - PaulaO2 - 01-25-2013

The leaks aren't too bad except for that Max. How long did it last? The median is excellent!

From this data (just one night?), you have an issue with hypopneas.

I'm never sure just what to do with those.

Instead of tape, use an ace bandage for your test. Wrap it from chin to top of head several times. With the Breeze, it might be easier to do it first then put on the mask due to the hard headgear. Try both ways to see which is more comfortable to you. You want it tight enough that your mouth does not fall open on its own but not so tight you cannot chew. Tape is really only "good" for when it is the lips that are flapping but the mouth is closed.

RE: Help with data!!! - roady666 - 01-25-2013

Hi,

Sorry I didn't attach the one night data correctly, try again!

The summary data in the body of the post is 6 months worth.

John[attachment=349]

RE: Help with data!!! - Sleepster - 01-25-2013

(01-25-2013, 05:45 PM)roady666 Wrote: Whilst I believe that I am benefiting from the therapy I never really feel refreshed in the morning.

Do you have at least some days where you feel better than you did before CPAP therapy? For how long have you had your CPAP machine? Do you use it every time you sleep?

CPAP machines can't really give you a reliable AHI when your leaks are above the allowed amount. I don't know if your machine is reporting the total leak rate or the unintentional leak rate. You need to get a chin strap and get your leaks under control.

If once you do that you are still experiencing an elevated hypopnea index you will need to consider raising your pressure.

These are issues you should discuss with your sleep doctor and your DME.

RE: Help with data!!! - roady666 - 01-25-2013

Once again Sorry!!!!, I shall give a bit more detail:-

Have been using cpap for over 5 years.
I use it every time I sleep.
Can honestly say except for the first month I never waken feeling really refreshed and raring to go!! (have mentioned this to the sleep clinic but they dismiss my concerns).

Looking at the daily leak data (6months worth) I got from the machine almost 75% of days breach the 24l/m that ResScan give as acceptable, as I have used the same machine and mask for more than 3 years I believe the leak rates would be the same for those years as well.

We have the National Health Service here in the UK, I only see them once a year, up to now I believed they looked at the data prior to seeing me. I am now not so sure!!!!!!

I had taped my mouth closed the previous 2 nights but I still managed to force air past the tape, there was clear leaks lasting over 10 min each every 90 min or so.

John

RE: Help with data!!! - Sleepster - 01-25-2013

I recommend you call the health service and tell them your leak rate is above 24 L/min. If a chin strap doesn't get the leak rate under 24 L/min you'll have to try a full face mask.

RE: Help with data!!! - zonk - 01-25-2013

leak is quite acceptable, only for brief period went over the red line
the spike in the leak graph especially the one above the red line point to variable leaks, more likely mouth leaks
a chinstrap would help keeping mouth closed as PollCat suggested
full face mask allows to breathe thru nose or mouth but for me would brings more problem than trying to solve but everyone is different

RE: Help with data!!! - Jenni88 - 01-25-2013

I am sure I am posting in the wrong place but can't seem to find a place where I can ask a question.

The machine I had was a runaway....it would immediately, even before I was asleep....start cranking out massive pressure, so I finally called and said something is wrong with this thing, and I want one like my old one.

When I went in they gave me a REMstar Auto A-Flex which I have used for one night....amazing difference....but now I think I need a different program to track my progress. I can't find where that is located...and I can't figure out how to change my profile to the new machine. I used sleepytime for the old one...can I change that or should I just insert the card and will it automatically record on the same program?Oh-jeez

RE: Help with data!!! - JJJ - 01-25-2013

(01-25-2013, 10:58 PM)Jenni88 Wrote: I am sure I am posting in the wrong place but can't seem to find a place where I can ask a question.

If you are asking an unrelated question it would better to start a new thread rather than posting a question in the middle of an existing thread. But if your question is related to the existing thread, then it's customary to jump in.

(01-25-2013, 10:58 PM)Jenni88 Wrote: The machine I had was a runaway....it would immediately, even before I was asleep....start cranking out massive pressure, so I finally called and said something is wrong with this thing, and I want one like my old one.
When I went in they gave me a REMstar Auto A-Flex which I have used for one night....amazing difference....but now I think I need a different program to track my progress. I can't find where that is located...and I can't figure out how to change my profile to the new machine. I used sleepytime for the old one...can I change that or should I just insert the card and will it automatically record on the same program?

You can just insert the SD card from the REMStar machine into your computer and tell SleepyHead to import the data. SleepyHead will realize the card is from a different machine and will start a new section for the data from the new machine. On the Daily tab (the one with the calendar) you won't see any difference - the next day will just turn blue when there is data for it, regardless of which machine it came from.

However, if you meant that your REMStar machine did not come with its own card, yes you can use the card from the old machine, as long as it is the same size (SD cards come in different sizes). The REMStar machine will see that the card is not its own card and will reformat it to its liking, adding its own machine information. Reformatting the card erases all the data on it, so before doing this, make a folder on your computer for CPAP stuff and copy everything off the card into the folder. That way you will always have the data that the old machine stored on the card.