Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Sleep Apnea detection - Is there an app for that? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Sleep Apnea detection - Is there an app for that? (/Thread-Sleep-Apnea-detection-Is-there-an-app-for-that)

Pages: 1 2

Sleep Apnea detection - Is there an app for that? - CJMS - 08-02-2019

I suspect I might have sleep apnea. But, before I go to the expense to do a sleep study I thought I could use an app on my iphone to detect whether I do indeed stop breathing while I sleep.  If yes, it seems like I could try a Cpap machine for a lot less that the cost of a sleep study and if it helps, problem solved.  Does anyone know of an app that does a good job of detecting sleep apnea?  Thanks for your help.

Carol

RE: Sleep Apnea detection - Is there an app for that? - Melman - 08-02-2019

I doubt there is an app but could be wrong. Why do you think you have apnea. Do you wake up gasping for breath? Has someone else told you you stop breathing ot gasp for breath?

RE: Sleep Apnea detection - Is there an app for that? - CJMS - 08-02-2019

I've had trouble falling asleep and noticed that I have a pretty consistent pattern of drifting off, then waking up. I took note that I heard the sound of breaking the seal of my air passage (like a short snore sound). As I paid more attention to what was bringing me out of drifting off to sleep it was almost always that snore sound or I recognized that I was taking a deep breath. That along with the usual "really tired all the time" symptom (that could be any number of things). This has all been in the past two months so I'm just exploring the possibilities.

Thanks for your response.

Carol

RE: Sleep Apnea detection - Is there an app for that? - Melman - 08-02-2019

Do you have insurance that will cover a sleep study?

RE: Sleep Apnea detection - Is there an app for that? - SuperSleeper - 08-02-2019

Carol - with those symptoms, I would get a sleep study if it were me.  Sounds very much like sleep apnea symptoms, but getting the sleep study will confirm that if indeed you have sleep apnea, and possibly identify other issues that are causing those particular symptoms.

Until you get that sleep study, you'll not be certain of the cause.

If you are diagnosed with sleep apnea, before you accept a CPAP machine, make sure you read this Wiki article:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Machine_choices

Coffee

RE: Sleep Apnea detection - Is there an app for that? - SarcasticDave94 - 08-02-2019

CJMS/Carol,
Hi and welcome to the Apnea Board.

I’m in agreement to going for a pulmonary doctor visit and sleep study. For the record, there are Android sleep apnea apps out there. I’ve never used any, so I couldn’t comment on how good or accurate the app or results would be.

RE: Sleep Apnea detection - Is there an app for that? - hearsay73 - 08-02-2019

CJMS,

There's an app in IOS that monitors snoring called SnoreLab. I've used it before to monitor my snoring.
While it does not diagnose sleep apnea, it records the severity of your snoring and even records its. You'll be able to hear if you are gasping for air.

RE: Sleep Apnea detection - Is there an app for that? - CJMS - 08-03-2019

I have a very high deductible ($6,000) plan so everything will be out of pocket. That’s why I thought an app would be a good first step. 
It seemed like it would cost more for the sleep study than to actually purchase and try a cpap machine. As I read people’s posts though, it’s becoming more obvious that “trying out” a cpap machine is not that simple. From what I’ve read there seems to be a long and frustrating process of trial and error to get it right. 

Carol

RE: Sleep Apnea detection - Is there an app for that? - CJMS - 08-03-2019

Thanks. I’ll check that out. I was hoping to find one specifically to monitor breathing since I suspect often I just stop breathing without snoring. I have noticed a pattern when I’m being pulled out of a sleep state, that I am often taking a deeper breath, without snoring. 

Most of the apps I see monitor quality of sleep but they don’t tell you if it’s because you have stopped breathing. It seems that would be something easy for an app to detect.

Thanks again for responding. 
Carol

RE: Sleep Apnea detection - Is there an app for that? - SarcasticDave94 - 08-03-2019

(08-03-2019, 05:58 AM)CJMS Wrote: I have a very high deductible ($6,000) plan so everything will be out of pocket. That’s why I thought an app would be a good first step. 
It seemed like it would cost more for the sleep study than to actually purchase and try a cpap machine. As I read people’s posts though, it’s becoming more obvious that “trying out” a cpap machine is not that simple. From what I’ve read there seems to be a long and frustrating process of trial and error to get it right. 

Carol

Here's a few things to consider. If you've noticed waking up gasping for breath, known to snore, are mysteriously fatigued despite sleeping around 8 hours nightly, wake with headaches frequently, might need the bathroom after sleeping a few hours, you might have apnea needing addressed via CPAP. (I'm sure there's other telltale signs) And if others have observed those in you even more weight to validity/probability of apnea.

You can consider ResMed and Respironics as the two top sellers and most members here use one of these two. (There's others that are good too but I'm more familiar with above mentioned) If it were me, and I believed I've got apnea and I wanted to bypass the sleep study, consult primary care doc which may write your script. Consider ResMed AutoSet first IMO.

Shop masks by considering nasal pillows first, least invasive. Nasal mask is next. Think full face if you know you mouth breathe, you can change if mouth breathing is corrected, (I just did the move myself from full face to nasal mask). There's the tongue seal method, chin strap, tape, soft cervical collar to help address mouth breathing if you want to consider those too.