Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New user- 2 week CPAC results + sleep study - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New user- 2 week CPAC results + sleep study (/Thread-New-user-2-week-CPAC-results-sleep-study)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

First post with a question - kiwi man - 07-29-2019

Hi All,

Thanks for all of the great posts!

I did a one night home sleep test with a AHI of 12. I am currently on a one month trial about 10 days in.

I went into the sleep clinic for my per-arranged appointment after 7 days. I asked if the machine appeared to be working based on the data? she said "too early to tell, due to leaks, we never know this early, takes a while for your body to get used to the  machine and give accurate readings" she then said she would give my a finger oxygen test in a few days (the gold standard) to take home as that would tell her if the machine was working.

Is what she told me correct? is the finger oxygen test the gold standard?

Thanks for listening :Smile

Cheers,
Kiwi Man

RE: First post with a question - Gideon - 07-29-2019

There is more to sleep than an Oxygen DeSat, which is important. I do encourage oxygen monitoring for those that had large and long desats.

Down load OSCAR and post your daily charts. We can at least give you talking points.

(see my signature)

RE: First post with a question - Melman - 07-29-2019

Welcome to the forum. I don't know about the oxygen test but your body doesn't need to get used to the  machine to give accurate readings. Readings may improve as you adapt to thet herapy. It is true that too many leaks will make the readings less accurate. I suggest you download free OSCAR software (link at top of page). You can then post some daily charts in the forum and get help in maximizing your machine settings and therapy. See the links below for how to organize and post data. Feel free to ask any questions you have. There is a large knowledge base here.

RE: First post with a question - DeepBreathing - 07-29-2019

G'day Kiwi Man. Welcome to Apnea Board. (And if I may ask... what's a kiwi doing in Canada?)

Perhaps your doc was in a hurry, or maybe she was dumbing things down (because patients can't be expected to understand these things, right?) but what she told you sounds not entirely correct.

We have software to interrogate the machines and provide a breath-by-breath visualisation of exactly what happened all night. Surely the clinic has the Philips software (Encore Pro) to analyse the results for their patients? She should be able to tell at a glance how you're going.

Now she was correct in that large and persistent leaks can and do reduce the machine's ability to diagnose and treat apneas. Did your doc quantify the leak situation? More importantly, what did she offer to correct the leaks? It may be that your mask is unsuitable for you (every face is different) and that you need to try something else. I see you're using a nasal mask - perhaps the air is leaking through your mouth. Your bed partner would be aware if this is the case - it makes a very distinct sound. In any case, read up on masks on Fred's excellent mask primer: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mask_Primer

The oximeter will give you some further information but t's not really a diagnostic tool for apnea. Some people experience apnea with only minor desaturation while others have desats for reasons not related to apnea. It can't do any harm to have extra data, but it's scarcely the "gold standard".

Finally, I agree with all above who have suggested you download and use OSCAR - it's a great piece of free software which will give you an enormous amount of detail about your breathing all night long.

RE: First post with a question - kiwi man - 07-30-2019

Thank you everyone's response!

"And if I may ask... what's a kiwi doing in Canada?"
I came here for two year work VISA and loved the place!

"Did your doc quantify the leak situation?"
Not at all. I don't think she did anything to change it.

It seems to appear the sleep clinic has blocked me from downloading the data while I am on a trial. Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Kris.

ignore my last post just figured it out- I think.... will download info soon

Hi all,

Here is my stats from last night- if someone could please interpret those. That would be very much appreciated :Smile

Attached this time Smile

RE: First post with a question - jaswilliams - 07-31-2019

Strange, it looks like your max pressure is now 9 it was 12 before and it does not seem to be enough to adequately treat your obstructive apnoea, I am not sure what us going on. It seems the settings were changed and not for the better. If these were my numbers I would be rating the max pressure to 20 and raising the minimum pressure not reducing the max pressure which is what seems to have been done

RE: First post with a question - holden4th - 07-31-2019

I have to agree with Jaswilliams, your max pressure is far too low. Follow what he says and up it to 20. I'd also raise the minimum pressure to at least 8 and leave the EPR setting where it is for the moment. You can do some tweaking on that later.

Just one question, do you know how to go into the clinical settings of your machine to make these adjustments? If you don't we can show you how.

RE: First post with a question - kiwi man - 07-31-2019

"Strange, it looks like your max pressure is now 9 it was 12 before and it does not seem to be enough to adequately treat your obstructive apnoea"

Thanks for the questions.

I am in the middle of a one month sleep trial. The clinician changed the pressure, lowered the high range on Thursday. I am not sure why she did that. I fully trust you guys who the sleep clinician but i feel like I have to follow their instructions otherwise my trial may be cancelled?