Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Is An Oscar Alpha/Beta Available? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: Is An Oscar Alpha/Beta Available? (/Thread-Is-An-Oscar-Alpha-Beta-Available)

Is An Oscar Alpha/Beta Available? - captainsteubing - 08-07-2019

Howdy, 

First of all thanks to the developers who have worked so hard on OSCAR. Brilliant information that we're able to obtain from it; I desperately wanted more information that myAir could provide. The pretty graphs definitely become an obsession. I'm about to get my parents who are CPAP users set up on OSCAR so they can become obsessed too!

Per my subject line is there an alpha/beta available? 

I'd also be very interested in helping with the development & testing. I'm a Software Engineer by degree with my work experience in Network Engineering. So I've developed a number of tools over the years for my various needs. Extensive Linux experience, so could offer input on the Linux implementation.

Thanks, 
Arthur

RE: Is An Oscar Alpha/Beta Available? - Gideon - 08-07-2019

Welcome Arthur,

There is no "public" Alpha testing, that is for our team and a very select few that we need to test a very specific issue.  Beta's, we have not started our beta for our next release.  That is done thru a private forum and again, the URL is not publicly released even though we believe that OSCAR is ready.  Why? because we are actively developing and not looking to support a large userbase of a product that may not be as close to perfect as we would like.  Thus those that test for us are fully aware that there may be issues in what they are looking at.  Note I said issues, not bugs.  There is no blame here and we seriously want to hear about issues so that they may be fixed.  Many that have come from the public have been logged and fixed with the release scheduled for our next release which has not been planned yet.

You said that you are a software engineer by trade.  That's great, we are trying do develop OSCAR in as close to a professional manner as possible.  That means structured, readable, understandable and fixable, tracking what work is being accomplished, even building in testing.  Test Plans, well we inherited all of SleepHeads, I keep them in my shoebox.  Did I say my shoebox is empty?

OSCAR is written in C++ and built with QT.  Back in my coding days a language was just a language.  I was "expert in many but C++ wasn't one of them.  
Keep in mind that this is an all volunteer team.  We pick what we want to work on (we have a list and track it), when we approach release/ beta we will flag items as needed for release and knock them off.

We would love to add you to the team, especially if you fell that you can help with some of the development.  If you are interested PM me and ask.  I'll add you to our team and our forum that we use for communication.

Fred

RE: Is An Oscar Alpha/Beta Available? - GuyScharf - 08-07-2019

(08-07-2019, 09:56 AM)captainsteubing Wrote: Per my subject line is there an alpha/beta available?

Bonjour has described the current development state.  I trust you are aware that there is a released version of OSCAR, version 1.0.1-r-1?  If not, you can reach the download page by clicking on "OSCAR" in the black bar near the top of this web page.

RE: Is An Oscar Alpha/Beta Available? - captainsteubing - 08-07-2019

(08-07-2019, 04:27 PM)GuyScharf Wrote:
(08-07-2019, 09:56 AM)captainsteubing Wrote: Per my subject line is there an alpha/beta available?

Bonjour has described the current development state.  I trust you are aware that there is a released version of OSCAR, version 1.0.1-r-1?  If not, you can reach the download page by clicking on "OSCAR" in the black bar near the top of this web page.

Thanks Guy, yes indeed I've been using 1.0.1-r-1 for the past 2 months. I've been in touch with Bonjour via PM.

Thanks!

RE: Is An Oscar Alpha/Beta Available? - SuperSleeper - 08-07-2019

Howdy Captain... say hello to Gopher for me.   Grin 

He helped me find files back in the early 90's.

(double-meaning there - for us old-timers at least).   Bigwink

RE: Is An Oscar Alpha/Beta Available? - captainsteubing - 08-08-2019

(08-07-2019, 10:42 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Howdy Captain... say hello to Gopher for me.   Grin 

He helped me find files back in the early 90's.

(double-meaning there - for us old-timers at least).   Bigwink

LOL! Gopher sends his greetings! He's retired now, and still spends most of his time on cruising the seven seas.  Tongue