Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] support, services, warranty for overseas purchase of Apex XT auto - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] support, services, warranty for overseas purchase of Apex XT auto (/Thread-CPAP-support-services-warranty-for-overseas-purchase-of-Apex-XT-auto)

Pages: 1 2

support, services, warranty for overseas purchase of Apex XT auto - SunHu - 08-10-2019

Our local dealer is selling the Apex XT auto model at more than
3 times that at CPAP Store online (that claims they offer 24x7
support).

I'm 1st time user & the local dealer would not allow me to see
how they configure/set it up based on the polysormorph (sleep
study) report : I guess they wanted to ensure patients buy it
from them.

If I get it from the CPAP Store in Amazon, is this anything 
that's so difficult for me to set it up myself?

Some specific questions I have (as I've written to the online
dealer but the only reply they ask which country I'm based
in;  sounds like they're more keen on sales than support):

a) is the model sold in Amazon the 'auto' (ie auto adjust
    pressure) model?

b) how many years of warranty for this Apex Auto-CPAP?  Our local dealer
    offers 2 years.  For typical use, how long does XT Apex last?

c) if I email you the doctor sleep study report, can they pre-configure (ie set it up)
    prior to shipping it over

d) do they offer the software (with instructions manual) free so that I can print the 
   report of rthe ENT doctor here?

e) what's their customer service support hours (in GMT) like & is this 24x7x365 
    & what's the support telephone number & email address?

f) if the set is faulty within warranty period, do you send a 1-to-1 exchange 
    or you repair it?  Is shipping covered or if it's not covered, is the shipping
    still S$150 (about US$103) ?

g) does your APEX Auto CPAP comes in UK voltage (ie 220-240) or it's only
    American voltage as I've seen adapter device that damage equipment

RE: support, services, warranty for overseas purchase of Apex XT auto - ardenum - 08-10-2019

if your paying out of pocket get a resmed s10 auto or 'for her' model instead.

RE: support, services, warranty for overseas purchase of Apex XT auto - SunHu - 08-10-2019

The 'resmed s10 auto 37207' only scored 2.5
out of 5 in Amazon, costing more than double
that of Apex XT auto in Amazon.

I would still like to look at Apex XT auto; just
that I'm concerned if I can set it up myself &
do the regular printing/analysis/recalibration
without our local dealer's help. I doubt the
doctors would do it for me

I've checked with my healthcare insurer which
cover for my sleep study & medical dr's fee:
the insurer doesn't pay for CPAP equipment

RE: support, services, warranty for overseas purchase of Apex XT auto - ardenum - 08-10-2019

Amazon score means nothing for medical devices. This board rates S10 Auto 'for her' model as No1. followed by regular S10 Auto. In bipap category VAuto, in asv, ASV/Pacewave CS.

While some people find the gentle Philips algorithm more comfortable, Resmed's algorithms work better for treating apnea.

RE: support, services, warranty for overseas purchase of Apex XT auto - hearsay73 - 08-10-2019

(08-10-2019, 01:29 AM)SunHu Wrote: Our local dealer is selling the Apex XT auto model at more than
3 times that at CPAP Store online (that claims they offer 24x7
support).

I'm 1st time user & the local dealer would not allow me to see
how they configure/set it up based on the polysormorph (sleep
study) report : I guess they wanted to ensure patients buy it
from them.

If I get it from the CPAP Store in Amazon, is this anything 
that's so difficult for me to set it up myself?

Some specific questions I have (as I've written to the online
dealer but the only reply they ask which country I'm based
in;  sounds like they're more keen on sales than support):

a) is the model sold in Amazon the 'auto' (ie auto adjust
    pressure) model?

b) how many years of warranty for this Apex Auto-CPAP?  Our local dealer
    offers 2 years.  For typical use, how long does XT Apex last?

c) if I email you the doctor sleep study report, can they pre-configure (ie set it up)
    prior to shipping it over

d) do they offer the software (with instructions manual) free so that I can print the 
   report of rthe ENT doctor here?

e) what's their customer service support hours (in GMT) like & is this 24x7x365 
    & what's the support telephone number & email address?

f) if the set is faulty within warranty period, do you send a 1-to-1 exchange 
    or you repair it?  Is shipping covered or if it's not covered, is the shipping
    still S$150 (about US$103) ?

g) does your APEX Auto CPAP comes in UK voltage (ie 220-240) or it's only
    American voltage as I've seen adapter device that damage equipment

Sunhu,

My backup PAP machine (and travel machine) is an APEX XT FIT from the US and I live in the Philippines. Similar to Singapore, PAP machines in the Philippines are sold 3-4 times its price in the US! (Highway Robbery!)

I can't answer all your questions, but I'll try to answer some of them. 

a) If you want Auto, make sure that the model is an "XT Auto". 

b) Ask the seller in Amazon about the warranty. Local suppliers in Singapore  will not likely honor the warranty so if you need to avail of it, you will have to send it back to the US.

c)Ask the seller but I don't think they can. However,  APEX PAP machines are very easy to setup and you can set it up yourself. There's even youtube video on how to access it's provider settings.

d) Ask the seller but they probably won't.

e) Ask the seller.

f) Ask the seller.

g) The APEX machine comes with an auto voltage adapter that can accommodate 100 to 220 volts. 

That said, I would advise that you get one of the recommended PAP machines here: 
Machine Choices

This would ensure that it is OSCAR supported and you can take full advantage of the wisdom of the awesome people on this forum for optimizing your treatment.

RE: support, services, warranty for overseas purchase of Apex XT auto - Stom - 08-10-2019

(08-10-2019, 05:49 AM)SunHu Wrote: The 'resmed s10 auto 37207' only scored 2.5
out of 5 in Amazon, costing more than double
that of Apex XT auto in Amazon.

That sounds bad, but when you look at the listing that's out of **three** reviews, and one person gave the advanced medical device a 1 star rating entirely because it didn't feature an alarm clock - a completely bogus "review". The other bad review was entirely about a problem they had with the replaceable water tank.

Users on this and other CPAP forums prefer the Resmed Airsense 10 Auotset for it's medical efficacy, because it works well treating sleep apnea and not based on whether or not it has an alarm clock.

Also, the model you are looking at doesn't have a built-in humidifier, which is a major omission. A humidifier makes the machine much more comfortable to use and can be the difference between using the the machine and not using it because it is uncomfortable.

If you buy the optional external humidifier for the APEX, it's no longer that much cheaper than the ResMed.

RE: support, services, warranty for overseas purchase of Apex XT auto - SunHu - 08-11-2019

From the rapid & forthcoming replies in this forum, I'm sure
there's a lot of support for CPAP here.

However, being a layman (& now in my 50's), I'll need a lot
of support & the local dealer here told me no remote support
(via Internet/phone) can be as good as face-to-face support
that I can get locally: I'm not sure if this is salesmanship.

I could get Philips device here (as my spouse is an ex-staff
& we could still get staff price): for some reasons, the local
hospitals here adopt HoffRichter & Apex models: they have
an Apex sales room in the hospital that I'm seeking apnea
treatment & Apex loaned me an XT auto for 1 month &
they'll generate the reports to show the doctors how much
improvements I benefited from Apex XT auto: was convinced
initially (till I hear from this forum) that this 1-month trial
with the ENT doctors' review will be impartial as the doctors
are on government's salary (it's not private hospital but
government).

If the doctors' review of the XT Auto report shows my apnea
treatment has improved considerably (I can post a copy of the
pre & post CPAP treatment reports here in four weeks' time
with my personal particulars erased away), can I safely say
the XT Auto will be just as good as Resmed for my case?
In humid tropical Singapore, guess I won't need humidifier.

RE: support, services, warranty for overseas purchase of Apex XT auto - Stom - 08-11-2019

(08-11-2019, 12:56 AM)SunHu Wrote: However, being a layman (& now in my 50's), I'll need a lot
of support & the local dealer here told me no remote support
(via Internet/phone) can be as good as face-to-face support
that I can get locally: I'm not sure if this is salesmanship.

That is only true if the local support is good, and primarily in two areas: mask fitting and warranty repair. In person a good provider can measure your face and help you get a good fit. A really good provider will accept returns if the mask does not work for you, but many places will not because they cannot re-sell used masks.

For adjusting settings, which you can do with the right information or can be done remotely if you have a model that supports remote data, face to face doesn't really make a difference in my opinion. It is not convenient to bring in your CPAP machine to a provider to get the settings changed. Easier to do yourself or by remote.

As to the humidifier in tropical conditions, you may be right. I don't live in a humid environment so I don't know.

RE: support, services, warranty for overseas purchase of Apex XT auto - hearsay73 - 08-11-2019

(08-11-2019, 12:56 AM)SunHu Wrote: xxx xxx xxx

In humid tropical Singapore, guess I won't need humidifier.

It depends. If you sleep in an air conditioned room the air will be dry and you might need a humidifier.  I live in a tropical country but sleep in an air conditioned room and I find myself needing a humidifier.

RE: support, services, warranty for overseas purchase of Apex XT auto - Gideon - 08-11-2019

I'm sure the Apex when set up properly does a good job of treating your Apnea. Can you post a copy of the charts and data you can get with Apex. I would like to also see the breath by breath waveform of your breathing.
If you cannot produce this in your home IMHO you should get a different device.

ResMed's EPR allows it's devices to function as a BiLevel up to 3cmw of pressure support. This is also a big deal.. Pressure Support is the best way to treat hypopneas, flow limitations,RERAs, and snores. Short of an actual BiLevel I know of no other CPAP or APAP machine with this capability..

With the detailed data I am talking about you can choose your local support, remote support,or self support, your choice.

Philips machines I could support better than the Apex because I know the quality of the data.