Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New User, looking for advice - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New User, looking for advice (/Thread-New-User-looking-for-advice)

New User, looking for advice - Blessed - 08-11-2019

I have been faithfully using my cpap for 1 1/2 years after being diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea.  When I started using the cpap machine I immediately saw a dramatic change in my energy level.  However, lately I am having so many leaks and red faces that I was wondering if you could give me any advice on changes I might need to make.  I started with an Airlift N20 Nasal mask, then changed to a Dreamwear Nasal Mask and have just ordered the ResMed Airfit N30i Nasal mask.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

[attachment=14355]

RE: New User, looking for advice - Melman - 08-11-2019

Did the problems start when you switched to the Dreamwear mask? Were there any other changes immediately before the change in how you feel? See the link below to the mask primer. You may find some help there.

RE: New User, looking for advice - Gideon - 08-11-2019

Welcome to the forum.

First, except for a brief period you leaks are within what the machine can handle, so the machine is OK, what is bothering you other than the report? Leaks in the eyes, your mouth opens and the rush of air wakes you? The little man in your machine is embarrassed? (I get that more often than I'd like to admit). Your numbers are GREAT. Even your Flow Limitations look great.

Most/almost all of your events are centrals, are they bothering you, waking you? Please don't take this wrong, I'm just looking for what to correct.

On Masks, read the mask primer (see my signature), The two most common mask problems are the mask is not the right mask for you or the mask is on too tight. Look for the manufactures video on fitting the mask that you have, good hints in there.

RE: New User, looking for advice - snorybob - 08-11-2019

Same problem here. I rejected the ffm from the beginning. (18 months) I have a big collection of Resmed, (nasal & pillow masks) that were right at the beginning but started to leak after a while. I have read & practiced the mask primer much time but it didn't work for me.   Oh-jeez

For most of the time, I used to tape (big mouth breather) & am still practicing the tongue technique hoping I'll manage it sometime in the future so I can use my nasal or pillow mask again.    Dont-know

Meanwhile, I resigned myself & bought the Resmed f20 (ffm). I hate it but it's working. I have my leaks down. (2/5 L/min )  Dancing

Go with the Mask Primer first, it works for a lot of people, then try an alternative solution. (maybe ffm)    Thinking-about 

Good luck to you, hope the N30i solve your problem!    Smile

sb.

RE: New User, looking for advice - mesenteria - 08-11-2019

(08-11-2019, 04:16 PM)Blessed Wrote: I …  changed to a Dreamwear Nasal Mask and have just ordered the ResMed Airfit N30i Nasal mask....

[bold in quoted text mine]

Why?  And why the latest experiment?  What are you looking to change/improve/explore?  Why did you abandon the N20, which I happen to use?  (I'm still on my original cushion, too.  20 months.)

Also, how long are your centrals?  If they are less than 14 seconds typically (some here say their cut-off is 10 seconds), they are very likely innocuous.  Many of us hold our breaths for a bit as we arouse ourselves enough to get muscle tone, turn over, adjust sheets and covers, or hose, adjust mask, and then seek that oh-so-elusive bliss anew (if you're over 55).