Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Large Leaks, air coming out of connection to the head piece Normal? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Large Leaks, air coming out of connection to the head piece Normal? (/Thread-Large-Leaks-air-coming-out-of-connection-to-the-head-piece-Normal)

Pages: 1 2

Large Leaks, air coming out of connection to the head piece Normal? - Maxmom - 08-16-2019

All of a sudden I have large leaks and I am trying to figure out where they are coming from. I turned on the machine and heard and felt a lot of air escaping from the connection at where the climate hose meets the top of where the tube goes into the head gear. Is that normal? I put the mask on and it's sealing just fine under my nose. I am using the Dreamwear with the tube connection at the top of the head.

RE: Large Leaks, air coming out of connection to the head piece Normal? - OpalRose - 08-16-2019

Yes, those are exhaust vents at the top where the mask connects. That’s not a leak.

RE: Large Leaks, air coming out of connection to the head piece Normal? - Maxmom - 08-16-2019

(08-16-2019, 10:34 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Yes, those are exhaust vents at the top where the mask connects.  That’s not a leak.

I just did an experiment to see if this mask is leaking around my nose and it is not, the seal is fine. I tried laying down, I tried moving all over the place and the seal did not break, I feel the air coming out of the hose and in the vent, so what is happening? I tired putting in the data card to see if it would register the short time and it did not write anything to the card.   Doesn't the card write short times? How long would I have to do this experiment to see what the results of all this would be?  Thanks so much

RE: Large Leaks, air coming out of connection to the head piece Normal? - WSHenry - 08-16-2019

As OpalRose stated, the vent swivel connector at the top of the mask frame has vents. There are also two vents in the nasal pillows interface. All are there to partially vent the breathing circuit to prevent a buildup of C02. All masks have vents.

What's your definition of a "large leak?"

RE: Large Leaks, air coming out of connection to the head piece Normal? - Maxmom - 08-16-2019

Here is the screen shot. How long do I have to keep the machine on to register on the data card? I tried doing it for about 5 minutes but nothing showed up on the SD card. I am trying to see if I can track down this leak before tonight.

RE: Large Leaks, air coming out of connection to the head piece Normal? - OpalRose - 08-16-2019

Your experiment isn’t going to be accurate because your not really asleep.

Look at the flow rate graph.  There are many flat tops which indicate mouth breathing.
Also, there are several sharp peaks (straight lines going upward) which indicate your mask is moving, not sealed well, or simply getting pushed around at night from movement from you.

You have a combo of mouth breathing and mask movement.

(08-16-2019, 11:25 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Your experiment isn’t going to be accurate because your not really asleep.  

Look at the flow rate graph.  There are many flat tops which indicate mouth breathing.
Also, there are several sharp peaks (straight lines going upward) which indicate your mask is moving, not sealed well, or simply getting pushed around at night from movement from you.

You have a combo of mouth breathing and mask movement.

Thank you. I will tape my mouth again, hopefully that will help. I don't think I can make the mask tighter, it's pretty tight now. Wow, all of this is brand new.   I have not ever had a leak issue.

I’m assuming you don’t have your DreamStation any longer. But if you do, you could try to switch back to that machine to rule out any possible issues with your S9.

(08-16-2019, 11:37 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I’m assuming you don’t have your DreamStation any longer.  But if you do, you could try to switch back to that machine to rule out any possible issues with your S9.

I was thinking of doing that as well, I still have it.  The Dream Station was the wrong machine, the wrong settings, the DME delivered the wrong one to me, so I am using my old S9.  Will it be ok to use the Dream Station with the old settings of 5-15? My doctor wants me on a steady 8.

Just for experimenting for a day or two, set the DreamStation to 8 or 8.5 straight pressure. Leave Flex off.
Keep same Mask.

Just curious if you would see the same leak rate.