Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New, wierd sounds/ noises from my machine - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New, wierd sounds/ noises from my machine (/Thread-New-wierd-sounds-noises-from-my-machine)

Pages: 1 2

New, wierd sounds/ noises from my machine - S.L. Ping Beauty - 08-16-2019

Recently I have had a new strange noise develop in my machine, equipment listed below.  I will try to describe:

It starts out normal and and a few minutes into it after ramping up there seems to be a very, very subtle "buzzing" sound from the machine when I am neither inhaling or exhaling.  When I exhale the noise seems to totally disappear but when inhaling the buzzing sound becomes a little more pronounced almost to a new "buzzing/ wheezing" sound.  Does what I describe resonate with anyone as to similar experience?

The loudness of the noise is very slight, but in perfect silence of the night it is very distracting.  The machine has been flawless since new.  

Resmed Airsense 10 autoset, P10 pillows and heated hose.  Oxygen connector at the end of the heated hose. Autopap setting 6-12.

RE: New, wierd sounds/ noises from my machine - SideSleeper - 08-16-2019

How old is your machine?

RE: New, wierd sounds/ noises from my machine - S.L. Ping Beauty - 08-16-2019

About 2 1/2 years of use. Still seems to perform OK.

RE: New, wierd sounds/ noises from my machine - SarcasticDave94 - 08-16-2019

Try some basic stuff. How tight are the hose and humidifier connections? Include checking the condition of all gaskets. What says your hour meter? Is it getting old in that department? Does anything modify the buzzing like movement or bumping it?

Maybe it's a Ghost In the Machine. Smile Hope you resolve it...really.

Hose connections seem OK. Humidifier tank is fully engaged. For grins I tried my old original non-heated hose and the sounds are still present. Gaskets are all original (are these supposed to be replaced periodically?) Moving or tapping it does not alter the station. Not sure how to get the hours of use data.

This has been going on for a few days. The loudness is so subtle that is would perhaps be no concern to most. But the stress of my work lets me fall asleep quickly from exhaustion but the the mind-monkeys wake me up later at night and then I really hear the sounds which are annoying. I will usually turn on some of the mind meditation type music or white noise to drown out the machine. I am not a Police fan so no "Ghost in the Machine" tunes for me....LOL

RE: New, wierd sounds/ noises from my machine - SarcasticDave94 - 08-16-2019

Access the clinician menu and hours should be listed somewhere. I think 15K hours and it's about done. Oh, don't worry about Sting and crew. They wouldn't fit in the CPAP.

RE: New, wierd sounds/ noises from my machine - Melman - 08-16-2019

(08-16-2019, 10:19 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote:   Not sure how to get the hours of use data.
To check total run hrs:
See here https://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsense-10-aircurve-10-setup-info for how to access the clinical settings.

Turn the round button clockwise until you reach the last item (about)

Press the round button and run hours and other information about your machine will be displayed

Melman, thanks for that lead.

Run time = 9615 hours.

RE: New, wierd sounds/ noises from my machine - Melman - 08-17-2019

Assuming it was used every night for 8 hrs that's over 3 yrs of use. Mine is 2.5 yrs old and has 7,949. I'm guessing your DME gave you a machine that was returned by a previous user. This seems not to be uncommon. It should be good for 15,000 hours or more so it shouldn't be wearing out.

RE: New, wierd sounds/ noises from my machine - chill - 08-17-2019

(08-16-2019, 10:19 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: This has been going on for a few days.  The loudness is so subtle that is would perhaps be no concern to most.  But the stress of my work lets me fall asleep quickly from exhaustion but the the mind-monkeys wake me up later at night and then I really hear the sounds which are annoying.  

The blower speed changes: increases as you inhale, decreases as you exhale. That generates more noise, or at least different noise, and maybe that is masking the sound you are complaining about.

It sounds like something loose (no idea what), vibrating from the blower or the bearings starting to wear out.  Are there even any bearings in these things?  I've tried trouble-shooting some odd noises before, it can be very frustrating.