Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Newbie - 2 nights - can't tolerate full mask. Advice? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Newbie - 2 nights - can't tolerate full mask. Advice? (/Thread-Newbie-2-nights-can-t-tolerate-full-mask-Advice)

Newbie - 2 nights - can't tolerate full mask. Advice? - sleepysharon - 08-25-2019

Hi,
I have had CPAP for 2 nights. My machine is ResMed AirSense10 Autoset. My mask is ResMed AirFit F20. I have used it 1 hour or less each night. The first night, I never fell asleep, felt light-headed and took it off, then tried it in the morning and also felt light-headed. On night 2, I think I actually fell asleep with it eventually, which is great, but then I woke up and it seemed the mask was leaking. This is a dumb question but: if it sounds like the mask is leaking, is it? I felt like I wasn't breathing correctly so I took it off--had it on 50 minutes total, most of it awake (I think), for night 2. When I got fitted, the guy had me try a nasal pillows first but I am a mouth breather so that didn't seem to work--it blasted air into my nose and the guy told me to keep my mouth closed, but I figured there was no way I'd be able to keep my mouth closed during the night.

I was reading SuperSleeper's post "New to Apnea?" about masks and leaks and it was very helpful, but I'm still confused and discouraged. I know a CPAP will be an adjustment but I feel like I can't even get past 1 hour of use. I appreciate any advice, especially from mouth breathers. Thank you!

RE: Newbie - 2 nights - can't tolerate full mask. Advice? - OpalRose - 08-25-2019

First: Be sure your machine to set for the correct mask type.  It should be set to Full Face.

Second:  Order the Clinicians manual for your machine if you haven’t already done so.  
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pressure/change-cpap-pressure-settings-adjusting-your-machine-with-a-clinician-setup-manual

Many of us have overcome mouth breathing to be able to wear a more minimalistic mask like a nasal or nasal pillow.  It can be done.

For now, I believe your minimum pressure is too low, not just for proper therapy, but for comfort.
Some feel “air starved” with a pressure of 4.  Try raising it to 7cm, and set EPR to 2.  This will help you be a little more comfortable.  

If you feel your mask is leaking, read the mask primer.  An improperly fitted mask can keep you awake.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mask_Primer

We can further advise after seeing some data.

Download the free OSCAR software.  
Then follow the links in my signature line to organize and post a screenshot of your daily page here.

Also, be sure there is an SD card in your machine.

Don’t let yourself get discouraged. We’ve all been through the same.

One thing you can try is to wear your mask with machine on for an hour before bed.
Take your machine to another room and read or watch TV. You would be surprised how fast the time goes when your not focused on the mask and air pressure.

RE: Newbie - 2 nights - can't tolerate full mask. Advice? - Dormeo - 08-25-2019

My first week was awful. I was 70 years old and wound up crying in the night and wishing I could have my mother’s comfort. Everything got a LOT better when I switched from the Philips home titration machine to the machine you have, tried a different mask, and adjusted my pressures.

The huge advantage you have is that you found this forum early. OpalRose has given you really great advice, and there are a lot of people here who can help you further once you have Oscar and can post a chart or two.

So hang in there, and let us know how it’s going!

RE: Newbie - 2 nights - can't tolerate full mask. Advice? - mesenteria - 08-25-2019

I'll guess you don't insert earplugs?  Many of us do as we become troubled/lighter sleepers as time goes on.  I use the rubbery silicone ones that mold nicely to the outer ear.  Really good noise reduction.  If this hasn't occurred to you, please think on it.  Works for the missus and me.  They aren't perfect, but they do greatly reduce the missus' snoring for me, and any other noises from the street.

Secondly, the machines are somewhat noisy compared to the otherwise silent sleeping environment, but most are not intrusive.  If you hear air rushing, its in no particular order:

a. The fan;

b. The filter;

c. The hose;

d. One or more connections;

e. The face vent(s) for exhalation or bypass;

f. Air leaking from one's lightly closed or open lips; or

g. Another leak, possibly a bad seal or connection along the air pathway up to the face, including a not-fully-inserted removable water tank, or a bad seal on the tanks refill cap.

Opal Rose mentioned data.  When we get to see your most recent reports, the data will tell us what's happening to you...ACCORDING TO the machine.  It will tell us if it thinks you are leaking too much, whether or not you have limitations to the flow of air, and so on.  But the final arbiter of things PAP for each patient is...THE patient.  The process and what follows according to the wearer determines the success and what is called the 'face validity' of the treatment.  Ideally, we get a close match.

RE: Newbie - 2 nights - can't tolerate full mask. Advice? - allanri - 08-25-2019

After having tried a nasal mask, and nasal pillows, I moved to a full face mask because I couldn't train myself to keep my mouth closed when I fall asleep ... my jaw seems to naturally drop open. I tried a chin strap, and a cervical collar, but nothing could stop my jaw from relaxing and opening.  

It took a while, but I'm actually more comfortable with a full face mask than I am with more minimal masks.  I even tried the ResMed F30, which is a sort of hybrid nasal/full face mask, but I always come back to the F20. At higher pressures, I find it more comfortable because I don't feel like I have a high-pressure jet of air blowing air up my nose.  Having enough minimum pressure is essential, as OpalRose says.  And getting the mask fit right takes a bit of practice.  In my case, I find I do need to keep it quite snug to prevent leaks around my eyes, but I've gotten used to it.  I was intrigued by a tube of gel sealer I saw online, but I have't tried it myself.  

It *does* take a while to get used to the mask, and to the feeling of exhaling thru a straw. But you do get used to it.

RE: Newbie - 2 nights - can't tolerate full mask. Advice? - Big Guy - 08-25-2019

(08-25-2019, 11:28 AM)allanri Wrote: After having tried a nasal mask, and nasal pillows, I moved to a full face mask because I couldn't train myself to keep my mouth closed when I fall asleep ... my jaw seems to naturally drop open. I tried a chin strap, and a cervical collar, but nothing could stop my jaw from relaxing and opening.  

It took a while, but I'm actually more comfortable with a full face mask than I am with more minimal masks.  I even tried the ResMed F30, which is a sort of hybrid nasal/full face mask, but I always come back to the F20. At higher pressures, I find it more comfortable because I don't feel like I have a high-pressure jet of air blowing air up my nose.  Having enough minimum pressure is essential, as OpalRose says.  And getting the mask fit right takes a bit of practice.  In my case, I find I do need to keep it quite snug to prevent leaks around my eyes, but I've gotten used to it.  I was intrigued by a tube of gel sealer I saw online, but I have't tried it myself.  

It *does* take a while to get used to the mask, and to the feeling of exhaling thru a straw.  But you do get used to it.

I too, tried the AirFit F30. I liked it and it worked well......for a while. I started SA therapy with the F20. I now find myself experiencing air leaks with the F30. 

Looks like I'll being going back to the F20 and staying there for a good while. I suspect that the pillow for the F30 wears much faster than that of the F20. I do know it's not nearly as robust as that of the F20. 

I'm not willing to have to replace pillows every few months. I think I went 8 months before I decided to replace the pillow on my F20. Basically, because if was beginning to show some signs of yellowing. 

From the very 1st night of SA therapy, I didn't have any issues getting used to a full face mask. In that regard, I think I was lucky. I know others have had issues getting used to a face mask. 

I'm also a die hard mouth breather. And, a side sleeper. No way can I breathe thru my nose for very long. For me, the F20 works the best. Give it some more time and keep at it. Make sure the head gear straps are tightened properly. 

CPAP therapy can be intimidating. It takes some getting used to. Stick with it. You'll be fine.

RE: Newbie - 2 nights - can't tolerate full mask. Advice? - sleepysharon - 08-26-2019

Thanks so much for all the advice and encouragement--you all are amazing! I will try these various tips, and report back. As someone mentioned, I am soooo glad I found this forum early!