Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
RESMED S9 or AirSense 10 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: RESMED S9 or AirSense 10 (/Thread-RESMED-S9-or-AirSense-10)

RESMED S9 or AirSense 10 - Arik - 09-04-2019

Hi,

My dealer offered me S9 AutoSet at a very good price. What are the differences between the two with regard to algorithm? noise? reliability? any other consideration? Does it make sense to buy a new S9 now even for a very good price?

Thanks,
Arik

RE: RESMED S9 or AirSense 10 - DeepBreathing - 09-04-2019

G'day Arik.

The S9 was a very good machine, but it's now a long time since they were made. The autoset algorithm is effectively unchanged for the standard model. The S9 Autoset for Her was a purely cosmetic change, but the A10 has a distinct For Her algorithm which some users prefer (including men).

I don't think there's much difference regarding noise, and reliability is reportedly good for both models. With the S9 the humidifier can be removed completely, which makes for a very small compact base unit for travelling (if you don't need the humidifier). Otherwise the A10 is a slightly smaller and lighter unit. The heated hose is not compatible between the two machines.

The question in my mind is: Is this a 'new old stock' machine that is un-used and has just been sitting on a shelf, or is it actually a used machine?

RE: RESMED S9 or AirSense 10 - jaswilliams - 09-04-2019

Other than being over 5 years old there is no real difference between the S9 and the Autoset 10 the main differences are the form factor and removable humidifier. I am very surprised at a supplierstill trying to push an S9 now though

RE: RESMED S9 or AirSense 10 - vsheline - 09-04-2019

For sure, one would want to find out if the standard 2 year ResMed warranty would be honored.

Certain types of components do age (in a sense, they can wear out) even if sitting on a shelf unused. Electrolytic capacitors should be powered up for 15 to 30 minutes every year or two, in order to not prematurely degrade. Also, oxygen in the air tends to harden or deteriorate some types of sealing materials.
So even if it is completely new in the sense it has been run zero hours, it might not last as long as a more recently manufactured unit might last. Nonetheless, I would favor a unit which is still unopened in its original manufacturer’s shipping box above a unit which has a few hours of use on it. For one thing, it would at least be more clean and less likely to have been returned for being unusually noisy.

I think there is always variability from machine to machine in how well assembled an individual unit is, and in how much shipping and handling vibration and shock a unit has been exposed to. These things can affect how well and how quietly a unit works. If the S9 unit is unusually noisy it may be impossible to exchange for a quieter unit, and you might be told it’s noise level is normal for that model (whether true or not).

One thing I like about the newer A10 series is every replacement water tub comes with a fresh water tub lid gasket. In the S9 series, the humidifier cover gasket is separate and I suspect would be hard to get in future.

RE: RESMED S9 or AirSense 10 - DaveL - 09-04-2019

Wonderful responses.
I'm still using an S9E and information helps. I won't replace my unit until there's an improvement in care provided when I use it.

RE: RESMED S9 or AirSense 10 - Arik - 09-05-2019

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your useful answers. What are the differences between the AirSense 10 and the AirSense 10 For Her? (there is a second-hand until for sale at a very goof price).

Thanks,
Arik

RE: RESMED S9 or AirSense 10 - jaswilliams - 09-05-2019

(09-05-2019, 12:56 PM)Arik Wrote: Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your useful answers. What are the differences between the AirSense 10 and the AirSense 10 For Her? (there is a second-hand until for sale at a very goof price).

Thanks,
Arik

The Autoset 10 for her has the same functions as the Normal Autoset 10. But has an extra for her algorithm that works slightly differently, it’s also white in colour with leaves on it as decoration. Our normal recommendation is the for her is the one to go for as you may find the extra algorithm useful. Also if the price is right go for it.

RE: RESMED S9 or AirSense 10 - DaveL - 09-05-2019

(09-05-2019, 02:56 PM)jaswilliams Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 12:56 PM)Arik Wrote: Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Arik

The Autoset 10 for her has the same functions as the Normal Autoset 10. But has an extra for her algorithm that works slightly differently, it’s also white in colour with leaves on it as decoration. Our normal recommendation is the for her is the one to go for as you may find the extra algorithm useful. Also if the price is right go for it.

Very helpful. I'm getting interested in this Autoset for her machine.