Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? (/Thread-Can-anyone-access-this-latest-article-regarding-UARS-by-the-late-Prof-Guilleminault)

Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? - ChinaMan - 10-01-2019

[Commercial Link Removed] Search for Upper airway resistance syndrome 2018: non-hypoxic sleep-disordered breathing

It's behind paywall.

Instead of turning to Bi-Paps, why can't just raise the pressure of CPAP to resolve all FLs or RERAs? My Dreamstation raised pressure everytime after FLs or Snores were detected.[Commercial Link Removed]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----

RE: Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? - alexp - 10-01-2019

(10-01-2019, 03:05 PM)ChinaMan Wrote: [Commercial Link Removed]
It's behind paywall.

Instead of turning to Bi-Paps, why can't just raise the pressure of CPAP to resolve all FLs or RERAs? My Dreamstation raised pressure everytime after FLs or Snores were detected.

Because sometimes the pressure required to open up your airways is just too high. Therefore, a better idea is to speed up the air exchange instead of making the hole bigger. 

This is what a bilevel does. A bilevel is a ventilator. It's like having a third lung helping you breath at night. A regular CPAP can only open up your airways but it can't speed up the air transfer by itself. The bilevel can do both at the same time.

RE: Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? - alexp - 10-01-2019

By the way, check the last three pages of this thread in which we discuss the difference : http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-OSCAR-data-review-Low-AHI-Still-tired?pid=308186#pid308186

RE: Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? - Sleeprider - 10-01-2019

Chinaman, we have done a lot of work with members that show indications of UARS on Apnea Board and nearly always, end up with some version of bilevel therapy as a recommendation. This article in our wiki by Dr. Barry Krakow is almost a guide point for discussing our approach to using EPR or PS as a therapeutic approach to UARS. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Flow_Limitation/UARS_and_BiPAP

Many of Dr. Krakow's articles are freely available free on the internet, or we ca probably discuss them here.

RE: Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? - mper6794 - 10-02-2019

(10-01-2019, 07:35 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Chinaman, we have done a lot of work with members that show indications of UARS on Apnea Board and nearly always, end up with some version of bilevel therapy as a recommendation......

that's good observation. I am (used to be, I think) a UARS-PLM's sufferer, and since a I joined this community (some 6 months ago) this such high number of ERP/3 to BPAP-AHI good/sleep quality poor, lingering people has called my attention. 
I think adressing this properly is going to be a milestone for this Forum

all the best.

RE: Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? - SarcasticDave94 - 10-02-2019

Just to clarify: "This is what a bilevel does. A bilevel is a ventilator." This statement can be misleading as ventilators are bilevel, but a bilevel isn't always a ventilator.

RE: Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? - alexp - 10-02-2019

(10-02-2019, 12:48 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Just to clarify: "This is what a bilevel does. A bilevel is a ventilator." This statement can be misleading as ventilators are bilevel, but a bilevel isn't always a ventilator.

Really? Please explain the difference. I thought they were the same.

EDIT : Do you mean the bilevel won't switch the pressure unless you are trying to breath? Then I agree. A bilevel is able to ventilate you though but it won't unless you are already breathing so I don't know what would be the proper word.

RE: Can anyone access this latest article regarding UARS by the late Prof. Guilleminault? - SarcasticDave94 - 10-02-2019

Bilevel just refers to any 2 pressure xPAP machine, the ones that have inspiration and expiration pressures. On the other hand, a ventilator not only has bilevel capability but also can either induce or make a breath.

I believe ST, ASV and then true ventilators like ResMed Astral and Stellar machines fall into the ventilator class. Others like Respironics have their versions as well.

You may be correct that this could be a language interpretation thing.

OP, sorry for the sidetrack.