Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Clinicians Menu in old Resmed S9 - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Clinicians Menu in old Resmed S9 (/Thread-Clinicians-Menu-in-old-Resmed-S9)

Clinicians Menu in old Resmed S9 - SideSleeper - 10-23-2019

I have no problems getting into Clinicians Menu in my PR machine, but need to change my husband's setting ASAP in his Resmed S9 Hi.  He went from an AHI of 1.0 to about 6 most of the time.  Last two nights have been over 12 and 16.  Don't have time to figure out how to download tonight.  His settings are APAP and fixed pressure 10.  He is a VA patient with only an overnight test about 7 years ago.  He's never seen a sleep doctor, just tech at our local clinic who pat him on the back and send him on his way.  He is going to try for a local doctor and overnight test--I want to get him on APAP and do a titration.  Last night he had 32 CA, 20 Hypop, 22 OA, and 28 Large leaks--unusually high for him and he was wearing a full face mask he rarely uses.  What do I push on his machine to get into it--no ramp button.  Where should I set it?

RE: Clinicians Menu in old Resmed S9 - DeepBreathing - 10-23-2019

To get into the magic menu, press and hold the setup button and push dial together for about 3 - 5 seconds.  But what do you propose to do when you get there? 43% of his events are central apneas which may not respond well if you raise the pressure. Is this a new thing? If so have there been any changes in medications, health etc which could affect the number of centrals?

As always, we could throw some numbers at you but we'd only be guessing. I understand that you're pressed for time but there's not a lot of advice we can (or should) give without seeing some charts and a bit more history.  However I think you're on the right track pushing for a new sleep test and change the fixed pressure machine to an autoset. Make sure the doc / technicians are aware of the central apnea so they don't just diagnose obstructive (which is the standard procedure) and leave the door open for a bilevel machine or even an ASV if warranted.

Another thought occurs to me - if this machine is original from 7 years ago it's definitely time for an update. Perhaps the machine is starting to fail.

[attachment=16476]

RE: Clinicians Menu in old Resmed S9 - SideSleeper - 10-24-2019

Thanks so much I was hoping someone from down under was online! To answer your questions: This number of Ca's are unusual. Some nights none, others some. Many are sleep/wake junk--I catch him holding his breath when he is awake in the morning and doesn't shut his machine off. Others could be positional--back sleeping. I was kind of an over night thing the last two nights. No change in meds, health, etc. I'd like to see a couple of nights on APAP--not much higher because of the Ca's however.

I see only two buttons--the on/off on the left and the dial on the right. I turned it on so the screens show but it isn't blowing air, then tried holding both down--nothing. That's how I do it with my PR and how I tried before posting this message. Do you have to dial to a certain place to do the magic button thing? I know you have to be in set up on the PR.

He already has a call in th the Sleep Disorders office at the VA. They require you to go to the VA Hospital in Portland, Oregon for an overnight test. We live far enough away that they can authorize civilian health care but it takes weeks. I want to get him into the same clinic I go to--you can actually talk to the doctor and he knows what he is talking about--he is a papper also. I'm trying to talk my husband into going the Medicare route--it pays 100% of our costs also, with our military secondary insurance. The VA is telling him they don't automatically replace machines at 5 years--they wait until they get noisy. I wouldn't take that for an answer! It would be a machine problem. the Hours aren't too high for the age, but he seldom sleeps more than 6 to 6.5 hours per night. I have only 300 hours less in my 4 hours 1 month of use but I rack up more hours.

Went back to your post, Deep Sleeper, and noticed you mad marked in red the Set Up.  Used it and the dial and got into the menu.  Set it for Auto set--guess that is their term for APAP--and 14 max 8 min for the pressure.  One night isn't going to hurt I figured.  Will try and get some charts posted soon if this continues..

AHI 2.6 last night! Sent you a PM DeepBreathing.