Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Despite high pressure, is my tidal volume too low? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Despite high pressure, is my tidal volume too low? (/Thread-Despite-high-pressure-is-my-tidal-volume-too-low)

Pages: 1 2

Despite high pressure, is my tidal volume too low? - ChinaMan - 10-28-2019

I am 5'10 and 155 lbs 36 y.o. Chinese male. I used bleep mask last night, pressures were 12.5min-13max. Didn't feel well when woke up. Is my Tidal Volume too low for my height(5'10) and weight(155)? Should I use other machines––bipap Vauto, ASV, etc.?

RE: Despite high pressure, is my tidal volume too low? - ChinaMan - 10-28-2019

Attached are OSCAR graphs. The zoomed graph shows a portion of breathing with no event.

RE: Despite high pressure, is my tidal volume too low? - Sleepy8989 - 10-28-2019

My tidal volume is a 3rd of yours, so if yours is low, mine is really bad.

RE: Despite high pressure, is my tidal volume too low? - dmeRT - 10-28-2019

I'd say you're right where you're supposed to be.

(Ideal body weight/2.2 lbs/kg) x 8 ml/kg

based off your height, (160 lbs / 2.2 lbs/kg) x 8 ml/kg = ~581 ml

your 95% Vt = 580 ml

(10-28-2019, 03:23 PM)dmeRT Wrote: I'd say you're right where you're supposed to be.  

(Ideal body weight/2.2 lbs/kg) x 8 ml/kg  

based off your height, (160 lbs / 2.2 lbs/kg) x 8 ml/kg = ~581 ml  

your 95% Vt = 580 ml

Yes, I am in healthy weight range, not overweight. The zoomed graph showed a period when there was no event that most tidal volumes were below 400. They were mostly between 300-400, occasionally above 400, far below 580 ml.

RE: Despite high pressure, is my tidal volume too low? - WillSleep - 10-28-2019

(10-28-2019, 02:54 PM)ChinaMan Wrote: I am 5'10 and 155 lbs 36 y.o. Chinese male. I used bleep mask last night, pressures were 12.5min-13max. Didn't feel well when woke up. Is my Tidal Volume too low for my height(5'10) and weight(155)? 

Your tidal volume by itself is fine.  High enough to be safe and low enough to be safe.  

".. Didn't feel well."

That might be a different question.  "Is my Minute Vent too low?  (MV = TV * RR)

Average Minute Vent for males while sleeping has been reported as just over 7L/min. 

If your Tidal Volume averaged 380 and your Resp Rate averaged 15.5 for some period of time together your Minute Vent for that period would be 5.9L/min, only 85% of 7L/min.  So if your SpO2 % dropped for that time then ya, that might explain not feeling good.  

Around this time ~1:00am what was the average of your Minute Vent over time?

Pulse-Ox - monitoring SpO2 is the best signaling tool to see if your not getting enough O2.  Did you wear a pulse-ox and did it drop below 95% at this time?

(10-28-2019, 02:54 PM)ChinaMan Wrote: Should I use other machines––bipap Vauto, ASV, etc.?

I already answered that question.  

Best of Luck
WillSleep

(10-28-2019, 05:15 PM)WillSleep Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 02:54 PM)ChinaMan Wrote: I am 5'10 and 155 lbs 36 y.o. Chinese male. I used bleep mask last night, pressures were 12.5min-13max. Didn't feel well when woke up. Is my Tidal Volume too low for my height(5'10) and weight(155)? 

Your tidal volume by itself is fine.  High enough to be safe and low enough to be safe.  

".. Didn't feel well."

That might be a different question.  "Is my Minute Vent too low?  (MV = TV * RR)

Average Minute Vent for males while sleeping has been reported as just over 7L/min. 

If your Tidal Volume averaged 380 and your Resp Rate averaged 15.5 for some period of time together your Minute Vent for that period would be 5.9L/min, only 85% of 7L/min.  So if your SpO2 % dropped for that time then ya, that might explain not feeling good.  

Around this time ~1:00am what was the average of your Minute Vent over time?

Pulse-Ox - monitoring SpO2 is the best signaling tool to see if your not getting enough O2.  Did you wear a pulse-ox and did it drop below 95% at this time?

(10-28-2019, 02:54 PM)ChinaMan Wrote: Should I use other machines––bipap Vauto, ASV, etc.?

I already answered that question.  

Best of Luck
WillSleep
Any cheap but reliable Pulse-ox to recommend?

RE: Despite high pressure, is my tidal volume too low? - WillSleep - 10-28-2019

Chinaman wrote:  "Any cheap but reliable Pulse-ox to recommend?"

Folks will have various recommendations.     

Many people have and really like the Contec CMS50D and some like the CMS50F and other variants.   If your into doing some light data management or maybe a little light code script work people sometimes load the data from these into OSCAR.  Others can give you richer input than I on the Contec Pulse-Ox.  [Commercial Link Removed] Search amazon for cms50

The Wellue models are the two I am personally most familiar with.  I like the Wellue better than the Contec models.

The Wellue Ring 02 is seems to be popular [Commercial Link Removed] Search for welluehealth oximeter
I personally use an earlier version of the Wellue Sleep Pulse Oxygen Monitor which has a different form factor and more battery life [Commercial Link Removed] Search for getwellue oximeter   

The Ring O2 has a claimed battery life of 12hours, the wrist version claims a battery life of 16 hours.  They charge via an included USB cable.  

They both have:
  • Monitoring of SpO2, Heart Rate and Motion detection, all which are powerful additions to the information you get from OSCAR.  
  • A really great supporting iPhone app
  • A good O2 desaturation alarm which wakes you up to fix the problem, enabling to protect your health and quality of sleep
  • Will allow you to download detail level data to a PC.  You can download PC/windows software from the web site to help analyze your night.
  • If you are comfortable with light software coding or scripting in the python language there are threads here showing how people have gotten the Wellue data into OSCAR.

Getting Data into OSCAR is nice but not at all required.  The iPhone app alone is very good to work with to understand what is going on with your heart rate and oxygen saturation all night.

WillSleep

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----

RE: Despite high pressure, is my tidal volume too low? - Michaely6 - 11-15-2019

(10-28-2019, 09:34 PM)WillSleep Wrote: Chinaman wrote:  "Any cheap but reliable Pulse-ox to recommend?"

Folks will have various recommendations.     

Many people have and really like the Contec CMS50D and some like the CMS50F and other variants.   If your into doing some light data management or maybe a little light code script work people sometimes load the data from these into OSCAR.  Others can give you richer input than I on the Contec Pulse-Ox.  [Commercial Link Removed] Search amazon for cms50

The Wellue models are the two I am personally most familiar with.  I like the Wellue better than the Contec models.

The Wellue Ring 02 is seems to be popular [Commercial Link Removed] Search for welluehealth oximeter
I personally use an earlier version of the Wellue Sleep Pulse Oxygen Monitor which has a different form factor and more battery life [Commercial Link Removed] Search for getwellue oximeter   

The Ring O2 has a claimed battery life of 12hours, the wrist version claims a battery life of 16 hours.  They charge via an included USB cable.  

They both have:
  • Monitoring of SpO2, Heart Rate and Motion detection, all which are powerful additions to the information you get from OSCAR.  
  • A really great supporting iPhone app
  • A good O2 desaturation alarm which wakes you up to fix the problem, enabling to protect your health and quality of sleep
  • Will allow you to download detail level data to a PC.  You can download PC/windows software from the web site to help analyze your night.
  • If you are comfortable with light software coding or scripting in the python language there are threads here showing how people have gotten the Wellue data into OSCAR.

Getting Data into OSCAR is nice but not at all required.  The iPhone app alone is very good to work with to understand what is going on with your heart rate and oxygen saturation all night.

WillSleep

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----

Willsleep have you ever heard of or tried the Lookee ring sleep monitor? What do you think if that product? It's $20 cheaper than the wellue ring O2 and just wanted to know if it's worth it or just buy the wellue ring. I was looking into the new wellue ring but you said that you prefer the older one? Do they both do the same thing and the only difference is battery life?

RE: Despite high pressure, is my tidal volume too low? - WillSleep - 11-15-2019

(11-15-2019, 08:31 AM)Michaely6 Wrote: (the bad violation of Forum Rule #5 links section deleted)

"Willsleep have you ever heard of or tried the Lookee ring sleep monitor? What do you think if that product? It's $20 cheaper than the wellue ring O2 and just wanted to know if it's worth it or just buy the wellue ring. I was looking into the new wellue ring but you said that you prefer the older one? Do they both do the same thing and the only difference is battery life?

I can't repost that rule violation links section,  I cant afford any more points off my forum license to post.  Lol.

"Willsleep have you ever heard of or tried the Lookee ring sleep monitor? What do you think if that product? It's $20 cheaper than the wellue ring O2 ..." 

Before the try underlying owner/manufacturer Viatom decided to launch the Wellue brand and sell direct I purchased the same products from an American company re-branding the same product.  

Since Wellue launched I have been disappointed in the lack of aggressiveness of the brand I purchase.  

People who buy Wellue now have access to features I do not and I thus far see no reason to expect this gap to do anything but grow larger.   So personally I would need a feature gain to buy other than Wellue .. maybe worth over $100 to me.  Otherwise, feeling my present pain on this topic, I would just purchase Wellue for $20 more.

Did that answer your question? 

WillSleep