Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
New user - Settings for Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: New user - Settings for Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet (/Thread-New-user-Settings-for-Resmed-AirSense-10-AutoSet)

New user - Settings for Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet - edtan - 10-29-2019

Hi all

After an overnight sleep study in a lab, I was diagnosed with severe OSA (AHI of 41.4). I was given a "free" one month trial of the Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto, with the condition that I purchase a mask at a considerable mark-up. I bought the Respironics Pico mask.

After completing the loan, and upon doing some research, I purchased a Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet. It is currently on its way to me.

The following are the results of the last three days of my DreamStation trial. I would be grateful for guidance as to the settings that I should be using for the Airsense 10.

The first 2.5 weeks or so of the trial were rough - I found myself waking up in the morning having removed the mask in my sleep unknowingly. The final week was much better in that I could sleep through the night without removing the mask. I certainly feel less tired with the machine than without i.e. now.

Many thanks in advance for your responses - this forum has been very illuminating!

19 October 2019
[attachment=16574]

20 October 2019
[attachment=16575]

21 October 2019
[attachment=16576]

RE: New user - Settings for Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet - SarcasticDave94 - 10-29-2019

Hi edtan, welcome to the Apnea Board.

When transitioning to the ResMed you can duplicate the pressure settings you have now. Then monitor and post results here just like you did above. Since it looks like your numbers are good, there may be a small setting adjustment when on the ResMed, but it's likely going to be motivated more by "how you feel" rather than numbers. Let's see what things are like when your machine comes in.

RE: New user - Settings for Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet - Melman - 10-29-2019

The Resmed has a seating called EPR (epiratory pressure relief) which lowers the pressure when you exhale.  It works a little differently then the flex setting on the dreamstation and is very effective at reducing flow restrictions and hypopnia. I suggest you set that at 3. Otherwise, as Dave suggrsted, keep the max and min settings you have now.

RE: New user - Settings for Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet - Sleeprider - 10-29-2019

I suspect the Resmed will significantly clean up these charts. Based on what I am seeing in these charts, set the Resmed to 7.0 minimum and 16.0 maximum pressure, turn EPR on full-time at a setting of 3. I think what we want to shoot for in the long-run is less pressure variation, and resolution of the flow limits and hypopnea. This will in turn resolve RERA. Your results look pretty good on the Philips, but you made the right choice on the machine to buy. As soon as possible, ditch the Pico and get a Resmed Airfit P10.

RE: New user - Settings for Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet - Andante - 10-30-2019

(10-29-2019, 10:34 AM)Melman Wrote: The Resmed has a seating called EPR (epiratory pressure relief) which lowers the pressure when you exhale.  It works a little differently then the flex setting on the dreamstation and is very effective at reducing flow restrictions and hypopnia. I suggest you set that at 3. Otherwise, as Dave suggrsted, keep the max and min settings you have now.
This is true. Epr is amazing

RE: New user - Settings for Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet - edtan - 11-04-2019

Hi all

Thank you for your responses.  

I have used the Airsense 10 AutoSet for 4 nights now. I set out below the OSCAR readings from the most recent 3 nights.

I still feel tired after waking up. On the most recent night i.e. last night, I woke up and removed my mask groggily, and promptly fell asleep. 

I should also add that I am also trying a new mask concurrently with the new machine - the ResMed N20. The Airsense 10 AutoSet gives me a green smiley face for mask fit, but I note that the leak rate on OSCAR appears to be somewhat high. The N20 also does not appear to be a good fit for me though - the upper sides of the frame cut into the top of my ears.

As always, I would be grateful for your advice as to any changes I should make. I inadvertently missed out on Sleeprider and Melman's replies on the settings, and thus the EPR was set at 2, with 6/20 as the min/max pressure. My apologies for that.

2 November 2019
[attachment=16777]

3 November 2019
[attachment=16778]

4 November 2019
[attachment=16779]

RE: New user - Settings for Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet - SarcasticDave94 - 11-04-2019

Still not bad by the numbers. Besides the mask, how does the rest of it rate on feel and comfort? I'm thinking if you'd find the mask you like and works right, you're probably going to be doing good.

RE: New user - Settings for Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet - jaswilliams - 11-05-2019

Unfortunately good numbers aren't a guarantee of feeling great. You may have other things going on that make you feel tired. Your numbers need look great, any AHI under 2 is good.

It can take time for the sleep deficit to be paid back and feeling better can be a gradual thing

RE: New user - Settings for Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet - edtan - 11-05-2019

(11-04-2019, 08:17 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Still not bad by the numbers. Besides the mask, how does the rest of it rate on feel and comfort? I'm thinking if you'd find the mask you like and works right, you're probably going to be doing good.

I feel fine on the feel and comfort. I also find it easier to exhale on the ResMed than the Respironics.

(11-05-2019, 02:18 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Unfortunately good numbers aren't a guarantee of feeling great. You may have other things going on that make you feel tired. Your numbers need look great, any AHI under 2 is good.

It can take time for the sleep deficit to be paid back and feeling better can be a gradual thing

Thanks. I will keep monitoring this. Hopefully the sleep deficit will be repaid soon!

RE: New user - Settings for Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet - Big Guy - 11-05-2019

(11-05-2019, 06:40 PM)edtan Wrote:
(11-04-2019, 08:17 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Still not bad by the numbers. Besides the mask, how does the rest of it rate on feel and comfort? I'm thinking if you'd find the mask you like and works right, you're probably going to be doing good.

I feel fine on the feel and comfort. I also find it easier to exhale on the ResMed than the Respironics.

(11-05-2019, 02:18 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: Unfortunately good numbers aren't a guarantee of feeling great. You may have other things going on that make you feel tired. Your numbers need look great, any AHI under 2 is good.

Thanks. I will keep monitoring this. Hopefully the sleep deficit will be repaid soon!

Don't be surprised or disappointed too much if it takes longer than sooner.  Eat-popcorn