Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
dry mouth with full face mask - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: dry mouth with full face mask (/Thread-dry-mouth-with-full-face-mask)

Pages: 1 2

dry mouth with full face mask - renoir - 10-31-2019

I'm getting more confident by the 'night' that my Dreamwear full face mask (which comes under the nose) and the use of a soft cervical collar is working.
Except for the random large leak, my leak rate is reasonable and the AHI count is decent. I am often unaware I am wearing the mask.

One of the last challenges is addressing dry mouth. I use biotene at bedtime and either put one or two xylimelts in my mouth. I'm not a big fan of the latter, and hope I can do without them someday. I use a room humidifier, and I set the Resmed 10 humidifer to AUTO. In the morning, the water in the tank has decreased a small amount.

Should I set the humidifier and/or temperature to manual and try to increase the settings? For a month or so, I had it set to 81 degrees/5. 
One time I got rainout, but several times I have positioned the machine on a low stool next to the bed. Re: hydration. I drink a lot of water
during the day.
Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

RE: dry mouth with full face mask - SarcasticDave94 - 10-31-2019

Have you tried running the humidifier in Manual Mode and higher humidity and/or hose temperature settings? Manual mode seems to me to increase available humidity. You are probably going to need to edit those 3 settings to get best comfort levels.

RE: dry mouth with full face mask - renoir - 10-31-2019

Thanks. I have tried a setting of 5 and 81 degrees before.
I am wondering if people ever try 6, 7, or even higher for a humidifier setting?

(10-31-2019, 08:13 AM)renoir Wrote: Thanks. I have tried a setting of 5 and 81 degrees before.
I am wondering if people ever try 6, 7, or even higher for a humidifier setting?

I run my humidifier setting between 4-8 depending on what's best for that sleep session. I had about 9 months use last year that it stayed on 8.

Tonight I'll crank it up to 7 or 8. Thanks

Welcome and post if it helped. You may need a few attempts at adjusting each of those 3 settings to get one that's best.

RE: dry mouth with full face mask - Tinwoodsman - 10-31-2019

Does the use of a heated tube in addition to humidity help in addressing dry mouth?

I'll be sure to report back. 
I am putting my hose on 81 degrees.

If the situation requires higher humidity, the heated hose setting may need to increase to fight rainout.

RE: dry mouth with full face mask - renoir - 11-02-2019

No luck. Rainout. Humidity was 7, heated hose 82.

Moving on to Plan B. Keeping a tube of biotene gel next to my bed. Will apply it when I wake up with dry mouth. Will return to the auto settings for climate control.