Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Tried the F20. Which Mask Next? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Tried the F20. Which Mask Next? (/Thread-Tried-the-F20-Which-Mask-Next)

Pages: 1 2

Tried the F20. Which Mask Next? - Aaron Williams - 11-02-2019

So, I have given the ResMed F20 mask a good try. Its not working out. I have waded through many reviews on masks and I still have no idea what to try next. Its a very personal decision, but there must be some consensus. No doubt the experienced members of this forum can easily send me in the right direction. 

I am a side sleeper. The F20 gives me a painful rash beside my nose. Its either too tight or it leaks while I sleep. I have tried both medium and large F20.

Any thoughts on what I should or should not try next?

Thank You!

RE: Tried the F20. Which Mask Next? - car54 - 11-02-2019

I had good success with the F20 and the F20 with foam. I am a side sleeper but I was getting some minor skin irritation with both of them. I have since switched to the F30 hybrid with good results.

Car54

RE: Tried the F20. Which Mask Next? - Big Guy - 11-02-2019

The AirFit F20 is my go to mask. I did try the AirFit F30 with some limited success. I really liked it a lot. But, I had some air leakage issues.

I still have it and have extra cushions as well. I kind of rotate masks between the two.

RE: Tried the F20. Which Mask Next? - srlevine1 - 11-02-2019

I am a side sleeper also and my go-to nasal mask is a ResMed Mirage Activa LT.

I have not yet found a suitable full-face mask that works well with my moustache and beard.

Some of my leakage issues were resolved with a medium buckwheat pillow.

Join the club of the unwilling mask testers.

Steve

RE: Tried the F20. Which Mask Next? - 70sSanO - 11-04-2019

I shudder to post a reply, but here goes. First off, I applaud all of you guys and gals who can tolerate a nasal mask. There is no way my nose could survive that. I also have to say that I have been incredibly fortunate to not have a lot of Full Face mask issues.

In June 2001 I got a Resmed Mirage FF mask, mouth breather, by September of that year I needed a new headgear. Now that headgear was special because it had an emergency rip cord to pull to split the headgear apart if you couldn't breathe... really? I don't remember the cost to replace it, but it was way more than what I wanted to spend for what seemed to be a potential death trap. I'm sure some may know where this is going. I went and got elastic straps and plastic slides and saved money AND I could pull the mask away from my face and re-position it, scratch my nose, etc. My other logic was that as I turned on my side the elastic would provide more resistance and help prevent leaks, which was probably more wishful thinking. Never-the-less I was styling.

Ten years later I got a Resmed Quattro FX FF mask. For me that headgear was the worst. The direction the straps pulled (up) made it impossible to get a decent seal. I remember on another forum there were pages and pages on how to put the mask on properly and get the straps not too loose or too tight. I thought.. It's a freaking mask, all it needs to do is be relatively comfortable and not leak. I could not for the life of me know why every other mask pulled back onto my face and this one pulled up. So I put the mask on, pushed it back with my index finger and it sealed. So I went back to my elastic straps.

Last week I got a Resmed F20 FF mask (silicone) and I am using the Resmed head gear without issues (zero leaks)... hallelujah! I really hated using those elastic straps with a head band and wrist bands over them to make it more comfortable.

From what I can determine there are the standard FF masks, typically without a forehead support, or a hybid like the F30 or DreamWear. You need to try different ones, but if you can't find one that seals up properly, the straps may not be in pulling in the proper direction for you to keep it sealed without pulling it too tight, (higher pressure really exacerbate the problems). You may want to consider some mods. I'm not saying this will solve anything... at least it is better than wrapping an ace bandage around your face.

John

RE: Tried the F20. Which Mask Next? - srlevine1 - 11-04-2019

70sSanO ...

Would it be possible to get a picture or two of your mask mods? It might prove beneficial to the community. Thanks.

RE: Tried the F20. Which Mask Next? - 70sSanO - 11-04-2019

It looks like I can't post an image from my computer and inserting a photo from Flickr doesn't work.

Here is a link to the photos on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154176213@N04/49016250207/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154176213@N04/49015519383/in/dateposted-public/

It is really a pretty rudimentary strap setup.  Since I took these photos in 2011 I did add some padding for the top strap going over the ears by cutting a wrist sweat band and sliding it over the strap.  Tightening the mask to my face was always a matter of balancing the upper and lower strap pressure to prevent any leaks.  The elastic stretches enough to just go over my head without disconnecting anything.  And I could just pull the mask away from my face to get it positioned right.  After they would stretch some I would tighten them up and cut off the excess.   Every few months I'd put on new straps.  It served my well for a lot of years.

This isn't the end all, but hopefully someone can take this and improve on it for his/her particular situation.

John

RE: Tried the F20. Which Mask Next? - tarah - 11-04-2019

I have tried so many masks. Currently using the F10 but its not comfortable. I just ordered the dreamwear full face mask. My mom uses it and loves it. I've used nasal masks before and got some irritation, my sleep doc said the smear the inside of my nostrils with pure lanolin and that helped alot with irritation. I also use lanolin on the edges of my mask to help with seal.

RE: Tried the F20. Which Mask Next? - SarcasticDave94 - 11-05-2019

Welcome to Mask Testers R Us. If the F20 won't work, there's multiple others you could try. ResMed F30, Respironics Amara View, I think Eason and F&P make ones that are fairly popular too. I can't say which to try, but if the F20 is truly eliminated, you'll just have to move on to something else.

RE: Tried the F20. Which Mask Next? - srlevine1 - 11-05-2019

(11-04-2019, 07:51 PM)70sSanO Wrote: It looks like I can't post an image from my computer and inserting a photo from Flickr doesn't work.

Here is a link to the photos on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154176213@N04/49016250207/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/154176213@N04/49015519383/in/dateposted-public/

It is really a pretty rudimentary strap setup.  Since I took these photos in 2011 I did add some padding for the top strap going over the ears by cutting a wrist sweat band and sliding it over the strap.  Tightening the mask to my face was always a matter of balancing the upper and lower strap pressure to prevent any leaks.  The elastic stretches enough to just go over my head without disconnecting anything.  And I could just pull the mask away from my face to get it positioned right.  After they would stretch some I would tighten them up and cut off the excess.   Every few months I'd put on new straps.  It served my well for a lot of years.

This isn't the end all, but hopefully someone can take this and improve on it for his/her particular situation.

John

Thanks