Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Cpap vs BiPap - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Cpap vs BiPap (/Thread-Cpap-vs-BiPap)

Cpap vs BiPap - mrmagloo - 11-04-2019

Quick question.  I've been on Cpap since 2001.  My Remstar Auto now has approx 35,000 hours on it, and its starting to get a little noisy and it's probably time to replace.  My Cpap Dr died many years ago, but he taught me how to adjust, and use the Encore software.  I currently sleep like a rock, and have no issues with the exception of occasional leakage with the P10. Just a little tightening with the adjusters as the head bad stretches, and all's well.

Due to a tight budget, I've been looking for good used machines, and stumbled on what I think is a Respironics Bipap Auto with almost zero hours.  Can I run a Bipap in regular Cpap Auto mode?  I know nothing about Bipaps, but I do understand they handle ranges of 4 - 25cm. I usually just use a 10cm floor, and let it go from there. I would probably put an upper limit of 20 cm, but I usually average around 16cm, give or take.  Never tried any of the Flex modes, but with whatever machine I get, I might try the lowest (A?) to see if I like it or not.

Anyway, if anyone can confirm if a Dreamstation Bipap Auto can be configured to run in standard Cpap Auto mode, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

RE: Cpap vs BiPap - Gideon - 11-04-2019

It cannot. It can run in bipsp Auto mode which can be configured to run in a very similar manner to remstar auto.

RE: Cpap vs BiPap - mrmagloo - 11-04-2019

Thanks for the reply Fred.  I don't know enough to reconcile your two sentences.  Seems your first sentence answers my question of, can the Dreamstation BiPap Auto be configured to run like a Dreamstation Cpap Auto, and you say NO.  But, in your next sentence, it sounds like you are saying that it can be configured to run similar to the Remstart Auto.  My only take away then becomes, it would seem that the new Dreamstar Cpap Auto in that case cannot be configured to run like my Restart Auto? I'm a little lost?

I've been running with the impression that in upgrading, I should be looking at the Dreamstation Cpap Auto - The couple of generations newer replacement model for what I currently have, so I'm not sure how to interpret your full answer?

If you bookend the cm to 10 - 20, turn off any kind of flex, and run in full auto mode, will I get similar treatment out of the Bipap as the Cpap?  Beyond that, are there any other things I need to be aware of when trying to configure the Bipap Auto to run as a Cpap Auto?

Thank YOU!

RE: Cpap vs BiPap - Sleeprider - 11-04-2019

I originally went from a Remstar M-Series Auto to a Respironics System One BiPAP Auto (model DS760P). They are a good machine, and the Dreamstation is just the newer series. With the BiPAP auto you have separate inhale and exhale pressure. Just get it and set the minimum and maximum pressure as you normally do, then set pressure support to zero to simulate auto cpap, or add some pressure support for comfort, you'll probably like it.

RE: Cpap vs BiPap - mrmagloo - 11-04-2019

Ah - So it seems that the Bipap essentially provides more control and adjustability of the "Flex" portion of the exhale cycle you get with the Auto Cpaps.  That and obviously, the ability to provide greater cm.  Makes sense.  Like I said, I never investigated Bipaps, but it's good to know that with the proper setup, if you run into a smoking deal, you can adjust a Bipap Auto to function as a Cpap auto.  Thank you!

RE: Cpap vs BiPap - Gideon - 11-04-2019

Sorry, I did not intend to confuse you.  You figured it out, thanks SR.
There is no "Auto CPAP" mode in any biPAP, there is a "CPAP" mode, but that wouldn't meet your needs.  There is an auto BiPap mode thatcan be configured to do so.

Once you get a night with the BiPap, post your OSCAR results and we will help you to make any adjustments you need.