Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
[CPAP] Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome! - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: [CPAP] Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome! (/Thread-CPAP-Beyond-ASV-with-Overlap-Syndrome)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

RE: Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome! - SarcasticDave94 - 11-19-2019

I'd say the same about this as Sleeprider in light of my recent research today. When needed, which seems to be approaching soon-ish, I'll make a ResMed ST-A with iVAPS choice one. It is possible I may be on POC before that transition.

RE: Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome! - Michaely6 - 11-19-2019

(11-19-2019, 06:42 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'd say the same about this as Sleeprider in light of my recent research today. When needed, which seems to be approaching soon-ish, I'll make a ResMed ST-A with iVAPS choice one. It is possible I may be on POC before that transition.

Do you prefer the resmed ivaps over the Phillips avaps?

RE: Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome! - DeepBreathing - 11-19-2019

For a view of the Resmed iVAPS system see here: https://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/products/devices/aircurve-10-sta.html Scroll down to the video which clearly shows how the iVAPS algorithm works.

RE: Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome! - Sleeprider - 11-19-2019

(11-19-2019, 06:42 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'd say the same about this as Sleeprider in light of my recent research today. When needed, which seems to be approaching soon-ish, I'll make a ResMed ST-A with iVAPS choice one. It is possible I may be on POC before that transition.

I don't think it is so much a matter of "choice". You need to have an open discussion with your doctor of the problems you are experiencing and how they might relate to your COPD and any other issues.  It would help if you got analytical about what is is about your therapy that seems to be not as good as it was.  COPD is usually identified as airway resistance, and the specific problem is expiration resistance.  It's possible with ASV you are experiencing "stacking" which is basically an overfilling of the lung that can occur when insufficient time is available to complete exhale.  This would probably appear in OSCAR charts and a diminishing minute vent and increasing flow limitation, as well as a feeling of being unable to fully catch a breath.  That is probably not the case with you, but I'd like to hear more about what you feel, and perhaps even see what's going on in your therapy before concluding a machine change is the answer.  So far, I have only covered what the iVAPS is intended to treat and how it differs from ASV and ST, but whether it is right for you, in my mind, remand an open question. Thinking about this, will help you to discuss it with your doctor, rather than simply presenting the conclusion VAPS is the answer.

RE: Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome! - SarcasticDave94 - 11-19-2019

(11-19-2019, 07:57 PM)Michaely6 Wrote:

Do you prefer the resmed ivaps over the Phillips avaps?

No, there's no real preference yet, but what my research has shown is it could be similar to how my ResMed ASV is in quick response times to events compared to the Respironics. Good question, but it's too early in my research to honestly say that one is better either for me or is the right machine for my need.

On to Sleeprider's comment, which has the desired effect on focusing on the subject at hand.

Let me start by giving an update reflecting the nurse practitioner visit earlier today. Not that I'm making excuses, but there's several medical things throwing their flags at me, not a complaint but it's just what it is. I jumped to the conclusion that COPD was getting worse without considering it could be some smaller breathing issue. That led me down a rabbit hole of the need to change machines.

The pulmonary office visit came with a short exam and stethoscope lung listen. I'm going to be treated for a moderately severe sinus infection that causes breathing difficulty, and it can be worsened with mask on.

Given that the infection is the culprit for a breathing restriction, and not directly caused by worsening COPD, machine changes are not needed at this time. I'm thinking eventually COPD will require a machine change, just not right now.

RE: Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome! - DeepBreathing - 11-19-2019

That's excellent news, Dave. I think a lot of us here (myself included) tend to think of all sleep / breathing disorders in terms of machines and apnea (it is Apnea Board, after all. Smile ) and overlook other medical conditions / solutions. Hopefully you can get the sinus infection cleared up quickly and be able to breathe well again.

RE: Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome! - OpalRose - 11-20-2019

Dave, glad to hear that it’s not the COPD worsening.  I think it’s normal that our minds go to the worse case scenario. I tend to do that too. Of course, sinus infections aren’t fun either.   Sad

Take care.

RE: Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome! - SarcasticDave94 - 11-20-2019

Thanks DB and OpalRose. Just like the recent bout of bronchitis, I'm thinking the way my body is currently with lower immune system, it sets me to deal with these things on a chronic basis. At least I know what I'm dealing with. I'll be over this speed bump soon enough.

Good day to all
Coffee

RE: Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome! - Sleeprider - 11-20-2019

I got my hands on a ST-A manual and will post some images here to show how it responds to different events.  I keep these images available, like the titration protocols and use them in posts and wikis, so forgive me if this is off-topic.  Attachments:
Resmed Aircurve 10 ST-A Modes

[Image: attachment.php?aid=17252]

A comparison of the modes of the ST-A

[Image: attachment.php?aid=17253]

RE: Beyond ASV with Overlap Syndrome! - SarcasticDave94 - 11-20-2019

No Sleeprider this isn't off topic at all. Thanks for the info now and what's to come later. If nothing else, when the time comes, I'll be armed with ST-A machine indications as it may be possible what I transition to.

Random Orange Squirrel: the big screen V60 Respironics (ventilator class) is selling used/refurb for about $7,500! Not that I'd need that. Still, with prices like that for machines, we don't need medical issues to take our breath away!