Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
One FFM failing miserably, the other (uncomfortable) one is working - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: One FFM failing miserably, the other (uncomfortable) one is working (/Thread-One-FFM-failing-miserably-the-other-uncomfortable-one-is-working)

Pages: 1 2

One FFM failing miserably, the other (uncomfortable) one is working - renoir - 11-27-2019

I had been using a Dreamware FFM for a month. It was getting the job done (AHI < 2) but I found it really uncomfortable. I would always try to loosen it, but it would leak. I wear a cervical collar.

Then I acquired a Quattro Air which fully covers my nose. Right off the bat, it felt more comfortable, and leaking was not a problem (at least sitting with the respiratory therapist at the medical provider's office.

But whenever I have used it (four or five nights), my AHI is always over 7. I also experience leaks throughout the night, which requires micro adjustments of the mask.

At this point, I'm ready to sacrifice comfort for lower AHIs. The attached Oscar graph is from last night. Midway in the night, I switched back to the Dreamware Mask.

Do you have any input on why the Quattro is failing. In the Dreamware, the air blasts straight up your nose. In the Quattro, the pressure is more distributed. Who knows?

Thanks 

ps. Im still getting extreme dry mouth with both masks, but that's a problem for another day.

pss. apologies if I've attached the same file multiple times.

RE: One FFM failing miserably, the other (uncomfortable) one is working - Osiris357 - 11-27-2019

That looks like a very uncomfortable night! I’ll let the more experienced people help you with your machine but as far as masks are concerned I suggest the ResMed F20 or F30. Both are more capable masks from what I understand. I started with the F20 and have moved on the the F30. I have tried the dreamwear full face and it wouldn’t  stop leaking from my cheek below my eye unless I cranked it down very tight which was painful. If it causes pain move on to another mask. I find the F30 very comfortable after my face got used to it. Masks can be tricky to get right and you may find that neither work you but keep on trying. At first I’ve found all masks are somewhat uncomfortable at first simply because we aren’t used to sleeping with something on our face. For me after 3 nights or so the uncomfortable or annoying feeling dissipates and it turns into a comforting feeling knowing I won’t stop breathing many times over again throughout the night.

RE: One FFM failing miserably, the other (uncomfortable) one is working - 70sSanO - 11-27-2019

The Quattro Air is a throwback mask in that is has a forehead support; which is a whole lot better than the Ultra but I digress. When I had cataract surgery I used a Quattro Air because I didn't want the straps on my Quattro FX to push my plastic eye guard I had to wear after surgery.

When the Quattro models came out the buzz was the new cushion would allow less pressure and float on your face. Well float my ..., at least for me. The new cushion was barely different from the previous ones. If you decide to use the Quattro Air, you'll need to figure out how much pressure you need to adjust the straps. I've done this by putting the mask and machine on and pushing it against your face to get it sealed, then adjust the straps. Once that is done, try moving the mask, and scrunch your face to see if it leaks, if it does, adjust the forehead support (if needed) and tighten the straps until you get a good seal. For me more strap pressure sealed better on those models. There is a downside in that, you may get marks on your face and the forehead support might leave red marks. After many years of using masks with forehead supports, I actually had indents in my forehead.

Personally, I would look into an F20. For me it is the most amazing mask, that really does float on my face and I use less strap pressure. My leaks are virtually non-existent. If I have an itch can actually pull one attach clip off and the mask will sit there under pressure for a second or two and not want fly off my face. For me it is the best mask ever.

I can't say why you can't use the DreamWear. I did half my titration with one in September because I wanted to try something new. I didn't care for the air being blown up my nose. I got to take it home and the same thing happened. I just prefer the dispersed air from a FFM. The F30 will be basically the same as the DreamWear.

The issue you have is whether you can reign in the leaks or find a true FFM, like an F20, that will give you the best results. The only purpose to be on CPAP is to get better sleep. Keep in mind, I can get an AHI of 0.0 if I wear a mask all day, sit in a chair watching TV, and get no sleep... if you don't sleep you have no apneas. That is always the rub, when someone sometimes has great numbers but feels lousy. Generally, lower AHI equates to better sleep.

In reality, you will probably get used to the DreamWear or the F30 if those do work better for you. People here can provide all sorts of tips on how to adjust to the flow of air. What creams to use, humidifier levels, etc. to giver you the most comfort.

John

RE: One FFM failing miserably, the other (uncomfortable) one is working - Dormeo - 11-27-2019

Our faces and sleep habits are all so different that finding the right mask turns into a pretty solitary quest. For the micro-leaks, have you tried a mask liner? Some people report that that helps.

The ugly stretch toward the beginning of the night shows the pressure maxing out. It probably "wants" to go higher in order to deal with your obstructive events. Do you know why the maximum is set at 15?

Also, from the left panel it seems you may have a very active flow limitation graph. Could you replace the mask-pressure graph with the FL graph in your next chart post? (Also, you can close the right panel.)

RE: One FFM failing miserably, the other (uncomfortable) one is working - renoir - 11-27-2019

I've recently discovered that it is normal to order a mask, try it out, then send it back within thirty days if it doesn't work.
So far, I have ordered an F30 and an Amara view.
I will add an F20 to the mix. It sounds promising.
Thanks

The machine came with a setting of 5 to 15. I have been gradually upping the minimum. Most nights I do not hit the max. Whenever that happened, I figured
I had some leak and the machine kept cranking higher until it maxed out.
Here is the graph with the flow limit higher up.
Thanks

RE: One FFM failing miserably, the other (uncomfortable) one is working - jaswilliams - 11-27-2019

(11-27-2019, 01:17 PM)renoir Wrote: I've recently discovered that it is normal to order a mask, try it out, then send it back within thirty days if it doesn't work.
So far, I have ordered an F30 and an Amara view.
I will add an F20 to the mix. It sounds promising.
Thanks

The machine came with a setting of 5 to 15. I have been gradually upping the minimum. Most nights I do not hit the max. Whenever that happened, I figured
I had some leak and the machine kept cranking higher until it maxed out.
Here is the graph with the flow limit higher up.
Thanks

The machine does not increase pressure when it gets a leak, just flow, however with really high leaks it does drop back pressure to try and allow the mask to reseal. The times you machine reached 15 you had Obstructive Apnoeas and huge flow limitations that the Resmed tried to clear with more pressure but was unsuccessful it’s more likely your position was causing the pressure rises like on your back or tucking your chin. Some people have great success with a soft Cervical collar our wiki article may be useful http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php/Soft_Cervical_Collar

RE: One FFM failing miserably, the other (uncomfortable) one is working - Dormeo - 11-27-2019

Unfortunately OP is already using a collar. But Renoir, take a look at the Dr. Dakota collar on line. It is a half collar and provides firmer support in front.

RE: One FFM failing miserably, the other (uncomfortable) one is working - renoir - 11-27-2019

Will do. I had actually ordered one, then cancelled when I got the collar from Walgreens.

Should I increase the maximum to 16?

I think we'd better wait for an expert to answer the pressure question.

RE: One FFM failing miserably, the other (uncomfortable) one is working - jaswilliams - 11-27-2019

I think your pressure would max out even at 20, I don’t see a need for higher max pressure if we can sort the positional apnoea