Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Cpap Cleaners? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Cpap Cleaners? (/Thread-Cpap-Cleaners)

Pages: 1 2

Cpap Cleaners? - AFM1 - 12-01-2019

So what do you think of Cpap clearers, are they worth it, and which are the good, the bad and ugly ???

RE: Cpap Cleaners? - SarcasticDave94 - 12-01-2019

Personal opinion is the only cleaner that's useful and will not cost lots is dish soap like Dawn or similar that matches your personal preference/needs and warm water. Lightly scrub and soak for a few minutes. Rinse and air dry out of direct sunlight. Done!

If you feel you need SoClean or similar, and don't mind paying up, go for it. But it's not required. Just like using distilled water is not required. If we replace these parts as often as the DME suggested, non distilled water use will probably never "damage" the tub. The probably part is there because some patient's home water may have minerals that'll leave a small residue. But if that same water can make your morning coffee, it's OK for your ResMed or Respironics, etc. too.

Coffee

RE: Cpap Cleaners? - mesenteria - 12-01-2019

The generally accepted consensus, not unanimous by any means, is that cleaning devices are not really worth their salt.  They don't/won't/can't do any better cleaning than you can for pennies a month.  

We debate endlessly the need to 'sterilize' equipment, and Good Ol' Capt James T. Kirk tells us we need to sterilize our CPAP equipment...or else.  There is no widely published evidence that CPAP machines harbor disease and that they need to be assiduously cleaned daily...as Capt Kirk insists.

There are far more effective and cheaper ways to sterilize your hose, head gear, and mask.  Simply flush them with a light household bleach solution, or with a solution of meta-bisulfite (sodium or potassium, your choice, available at wine/beer making U-Brew-It supplies).

Most of us rinse our equipment under running warm/hot water and use dish soap as a surfactant to ensure all surfaces are rinsed well.

RE: Cpap Cleaners? - Big Guy - 12-01-2019

It's my understanding that the CPAP cleaners sanitize. They don't actually clean. 

Initially, I was intrigued by the So-Clean. That was until I asked the advice of this forum. They set me straight. I clean all of my CPAP equipment by hand and I'm confident that it's all as clean as possible.

RE: Cpap Cleaners? - DeepBreathing - 12-01-2019

Here is Resmed's cleaning advice. I've reformatted it somewhat and highlighted a couple of points, but the text is unchanged.

Resmed Wrote:Cleaning guide

Taking care of your equipment

Your mask regularly comes into contact with natural oils from your skin, and over time this can cause accelerated wear and tear on your mask, potentially compromising its seal and irritating your skin. This is why we recommend cleaning your mask every day to make sure your equipment is working to its full potential. The good news is that all you need is pure soap and warm water to keep your mask and other equipment clean.

Your daily clean

Give each mask part a thorough clean. Take apart your mask according to the specific instructions in your user guide. Gently wash all the components in warm (around 30°C) soapy water, using a soft bristle brush to clean the vent. If your mask has tubing, remove it from your device and wash it in warm soapy water. Inspect each part and repeat if necessary until visually clean. This is a good time to check your mask and tubing for signs of deterioration.Next rinse all components with drinking quality water before allowing them to dry naturally out of direct sunlight. When all parts are dry, reassemble according to the instructions in your user guide.

Remember, only pure soap and no direct heat. It’s really important to use pure soap when cleaning any of your equipment. Avoid antibacterial soaps, scented soaps, detergents and alcohol-based products and vinegar as they can all cause damage to your equipment, potentially reducing its lifespan. Never put your mask in a dishwasher or dry your mask in direct sunlight. And remember your headgear is not an item of clothing and should never come into contact with an iron or be hung on a clothes line.

Humidifier

The water tub in your humidifier may become discoloured, cracked or cloudy due to the mineral levels found in tap and bottled water. Because of this, we recommend washing out your humidifier after each use. Simply empty the water out, rinse in warm soapy water and allow to dry away from direct sunlight.

Your weekly clean

Clean your headgear and tubing Just like your daily clean, use warm soapy water but this time give your headgear and soft sleeves and tubing a thorough clean. Leave all parts to dry naturally away from direct sunlight.

To keep your device in good condition, we recommend you check the air filter every month for holes and dust build-up, as a blocked air filter may reduce the air pressure being delivered.

To ensure your humidifier is in good condition inspect the water tub once a month for wear and deterioration. Replace the tub if any component has cracked or become cloudy or pitted.

When should I replace my mask?

Using a mask that is in good condition will help you achieve the best night’s sleep possible, and that’s why it’s important to inspect your mask regularly for signs of wear and tear. If you see any visible signs of cracking, discolouration or tears then it’s time to replace that part.

https://www.sleepvantage.com.au/support/cleaning-guide.html

RE: Cpap Cleaners? - Melman - 12-01-2019

The so called CPAP cleaners don't clean. They will sanitize surfaces that are already clean but they don't remove or penetrate residues of any kind. If you dig deep enough into So Clean's literature you will find that their admission that ozone does not clean and that CPAP components must be cleaned regularly with their cleaning solution which is probably a mild detergent. Lumin, which uses UV light states that equipment must be cleaned before sanitization in their unit. Mild detergent is usually adequate to prevent significant accumulation of any harmful microorganism. I'm a retired microbiologist with decades of experience with sanitization and sterilization and, in my opinion, the CPAP "cleaners" are waste of money.

RE: Cpap Cleaners? - AFM1 - 12-02-2019

Cleaning every day no that is not me, I looked at a number of those Cpap cleaners on YouTube, all I have been doing once a week is to put the mask, humidifier and hose in the sink and filling with boiling water and of dish soap, leaving them there for a couple of minutes and then pulling them out, rinse them off and hang them out to dry

RE: Cpap Cleaners? - DeepBreathing - 12-02-2019

Yeah, that's more or less what I do too. Perhaps not religiously once a week, though.

I put the "official" suggestions from Resmed up for the education of others, not as an example of what I do! Big Grin

RE: Cpap Cleaners? - Janyn - 12-03-2019

I own the Lumin and the bullet from them. I love this combo as it is very easy to use and as others have said they sanitize not clean. I still use wipes and do that religiously. I rely on the Lumin to sanitize my water chamber and mask and tube so I dont get sick.

RE: Cpap Cleaners? - SarcasticDave94 - 12-03-2019

FWIW when I was feeling a bit better, I used parts cleaning time to get a coffee at the same time. Soak time was time it took to drink that coffee. Now mobility down a bit, I just drink the coffee. Cleaning does get done but not quite as often. Daily? Not a chance. Weekly? Probably. Water tub dump and quick rinse after every nightly use.