Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Help for New cpap user, dreamstation bipap s/t - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Help for New cpap user, dreamstation bipap s/t (/Thread-Help-for-New-cpap-user-dreamstation-bipap-s-t)

Pages: 1 2 3

Help for New cpap user, dreamstation bipap s/t - Xpapix - 12-06-2019

Hi, very new to this so please forgive me for any mistakes.. I’m a 36 year old male from uk, been suffering from sleep apnea for years without realising what it was and recently I was made aware of my condition with all the usual symptoms of heavy snoring, struggling to breath, waking up every 30mins, going for pee multiple time’s, waking up gasping for air, feeling extremely tired during days, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes etc.

Now I have managed to get my hands on a Philips dreams station bipap s/t (GBX1030S20), whiles going through provider settings I came across the “therapy” menu which has the option to set pressure values and as stands are:

ST
IPAP 25.0
EPAP 8.0
BPM 15
Ti 2.0

Was wondering if these settings are correct or even if there is such thing as correct without proper sleep therapist testing me, but if there is general Values to be set I would really appreciate any input. Thanks for your help in advanced

RE: Help for New cpap user, dreamstation bipap s/t - jaswilliams - 12-06-2019

Those settings are not suitable as a starting point. An ST is a fixed pressure machine with a timed backup and not setup correctly for a person with normal sleep apnoea.

I would try and find another machine if you can I would recommend a Resmed Autoset 10

RE: Help for New cpap user, dreamstation bipap s/t - Sleeprider - 12-06-2019

Your Dreamstation S/T will work with the free OSCAR software that is at the top of this page, and also obtain the clinician (setup) manual linked at the top of the page. You're going to need it in order to titrate the machine effectively. As mentioned by Jaswilliams, the ST is a fixed pressure bilevel, but it will work fine. I'm going to give you some starting settings on the assumption you have obstructive sleep apnea. We will fine-tune these settings using the OSCAR software. Be sure to use a SD card to collect the data. Instructions are in the manual. Here is a quick visual tutorial on getting to the settings. https://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-clinician-setup-instructions

If this was a used machine, be sure to clear all the patient data before proceeding. I am going to use mile bilevel pressure for inhale (IPAP) and exhale (EPAP) pressures. This should be more comfortable than fixed CPAP pressure. Enter the settings menu and use the following:
Mode: BiPAP S (do not use T or S/T mode. CPAP mode is a single fixed pressure for both inhale and exhale.
IPAP: Set to 12.0
EPAP: Set to 8.0

Try this out for a bit, and if you find it too aggressive for your comfort, set EPAP to 8.0 and IPAP to 10.0. A pressure of 8.0 is suggested simply because it works well for a lot of people. We will make adjustments based on your feedback.

RE: Help for New cpap user, dreamstation bipap s/t - Xpapix - 12-06-2019

Hi thank you so much for the reply I really appreciate it, so is this Model completely useless? It has a cpap option too.

Wow wasn’t expecting such detailed reply, can’t thank you enough! I’m going to download the Oscar program now and do as you instructed. 

The machine is second hand with 46hours of use from what I was told and report on screen, but I’m not sure how to clear the data clean.. also What’s the difference between the S mode in compare to the S/T if you don’t mind me asking? Also am I better off with an auto APAP machine or is it Pretty much the same as what I’ve already got?

Your BiPAP is called an S/T which is indicates it has spontaneous (S) breathing modes as well as a timed (T) mode to maintain a set respiration rate in breaths per minute (BPM). In S/T mode it will trigger IPAP and cycle to EPAP based on the patient's spontaneous effort, but if a spontaneous breath is not taken within the set time, the machine triggers IPAP mode on a timed basis. S mode is a fixed bilevel pressure with EPAP and IPAP channels and is the same as the Dreamstation BiPAP Pro (S). This machine is hardly "useless", and is an excellent bilevel machine that simply lacks the automatic pressure increases and decreases of the BiPAP Auto. It is actually a higher level of machine and can work as a ventilator for prople that need a backup when spontaneous breathing effort is insufficient. The S/T is typically used for people with serious respiratory disorders like COPD, thoracic partial paralysis and hypoventilation. Using the settings I suggested above it is a simple BiPAP and is a step up from a fixed CPAP.

We have a bias towards using an auto CPAP or Auto BiPAP for people self-titrating for obstructive sleep apnea, but this is an excellent machine and is capable of things you simply do not need.

Again thank you for the in-depth explanation, I’m learning so much and so glad I’ve joined this forum.. so I’m guessing a bipap auto is the most desired machine for someone with OSA? If so maybe I use this for now and keep an eye out for an auto bipap unit.

Also with the settings you gave, do I use Biflex or rise comfort setting? Or is that Down to individual preferences.

My suggestions for obstructive apnea are:
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset (auto CPAP)
Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto (Auto bilevel)
Dreamstation Auto CPAP DSX500
Dreamstation BiPAP Auto DSX700

Preference goes to Resmed over Philips for most applications due to better response and comfort. A fixed pressure machine is better for some, but in general auto is more user friendly for self-titration. Don't worry about it and I'm sure you will succee, sod and may eventually move to a different machine. The NHS is not a very easy system to navigate, and it's best you have gotten started.

Thank you for the recommendation, I will keep an eye out for an bipap auto whiles I get started with this machine. Let’s see how I get along with this one and an auto might not even be necessary. 

And yes regarding nhs I made multiple visits regarding my concerns and all they could offer me was antihistamine which forced me to take treatment into my own hand. I’m just praying that this is “life changing” as everyone tells me. 

I will be using the Oscar program and updating you shortly, how much data is necessary? A weeks or month?

We can use a single day of data to nearly nail it. Treatment takes a while to fully settle in, so early results may not be representative, but it's less than you think. Be sure to read the articles in my signature on Organize your OSCAR Charts and Attaching Files.