Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Reasons for Shortness of Breath during the day? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Reasons for Shortness of Breath during the day? (/Thread-Reasons-for-Shortness-of-Breath-during-the-day)

Pages: 1 2

Reasons for Shortness of Breath during the day? - ChinaMan - 01-04-2020

Have been very stressful for the past month; my CPAP pressure is also high: Min 13.5, Max 14. 

I have been having shortness of breath for the past several weeks during the day. What's the reason for that? 

Atrial fibrillation?
    Too high pressure CPAP during the night?
    Overdistension?
    Drank too much coffee during the day? 

My average CPAP AHI have been lower than 2 for the past month or so; I am a 36 y.o. Chinese male and have very healthy weight(5'10 and 150 lbs; I have lost about 15 lbs for the past 6 months); I run almost every day––and I felt great when I run; and I am at the right cutting-off line between normal and prediabetes(Fasting:100; a1c: 5.7).

I had both normal and stress Echos today at a Cardiology clinic today; the results appeared to be fine. And I am also wearing a Holter monitor for 48 hrs to find out whether I have any heart rhythm problems.

Any clue to my shortness of breath for the past month?

RE: Reasons for Shortness of Breath during the day? - mesenteria - 01-04-2020

It could be an arrhythmia.  If you are essentially fit, as a runner, I think you would probably know, or feel, when you have an arrhythmia.  It's a distinct sensation, like a fluttering or a series of hard thumps in the chest wall.

Are you able to run without the same sensation?  It doesn't mean that you won't, or don't, still get the arrhythmia, but when it happens in the middle of a run, you'll find yourself suddenly feeling a little faint, and you're legs will lose their energy.  You'll feel a bit light-headed, breathless, and you'll want to sit.

If you are concerned enough, consult your physician, maybe get a referral to a cardiologist/pulmonologist, and get fitted for a Holter Monitor to wear for 24 hrs.  They'll ask you to do everything you normally do, including the run.  Good luck keeping the sensor pads in place as you sweat and bounce.

And yes, the stress bit will cause anxiety, floods of epinephrine (fight or flight response), and the epinephrine will cause heart palpitations or an outright paroxysmal fibrillation.  You'll fight for breath.  Unfortunately, all of these responses beget more stress and anxiety anew, especially if you're standing in front of people at the office.

RE: Reasons for Shortness of Breath during the day? - ChinaMan - 01-04-2020

(01-04-2020, 02:44 AM)mesenteria Wrote: It could be an arrhythmia.  If you are essentially fit, as a runner, I think you would probably know, or feel, when you have an arrhythmia.  It's a distinct sensation, like a fluttering or a series of hard thumps in the chest wall.

Are you able to run without the same sensation?  It doesn't mean that you won't, or don't, still get the arrhythmia, but when it happens in the middle of a run, you'll find yourself suddenly feeling a little faint, and you're legs will lose their energy.  You'll feel a bit light-headed, breathless, and you'll want to sit.

If you are concerned enough, consult your physician, maybe get a referral to a cardiologist/pulmonologist, and get fitted for a Holter Monitor to wear for 24 hrs.  They'll ask you to do everything you normally do, including the run.  Good luck keeping the sensor pads in place as you sweat and bounce.

And yes, the stress bit will cause anxiety, floods of epinephrine (fight or flight response), and the epinephrine will cause heart palpitations or an outright paroxysmal fibrillation.  You'll fight for breath.  Unfortunately, all of these responses beget more stress and anxiety anew, especially if you're standing in front of people at the office.

Actually I felt shortness of breath and chest discomfort/pressure when I was NOT physically active––And indeed, I felt great when I was running; and I felt pretty good shortly after I ran. So the shortness of breath and chest discomfort were not related to running or exercise; I can run like an hour everyday.

RE: Reasons for Shortness of Breath during the day? - Dormeo - 01-04-2020

The stress you are under may have something to do with your shortness of breath, but the only good way to follow up is to do what you are already doing: work with your physicians to figure this out. Be sure to tell them that you are under unusual stress in your life.

Are there ways you can try to reduce the stress?

RE: Reasons for Shortness of Breath during the day? - srlevine1 - 01-04-2020

Some Holter monitors are hit or miss depending on the frequency of your symptoms. You might want to ask your physician about a ZIO patch (about the size of a large Band-Aid) which is usually good for a number of weeks or, in an extreme case, the implantation of a Medtronic loop recorder. My arrhythmia was not detectible on a Holter, was suggested using a ZIO, but was nailed with a long-term loop recorder. End result: pacemaker/defibrillator. Best of luck.

RE: Reasons for Shortness of Breath during the day? - Matt00926 - 01-04-2020

Unfortunately there are many reasons somebody can be short of breath. Did you already see your primary care doctor to make sure all your bloodwork is normal and to get a physical exam?

RE: Reasons for Shortness of Breath during the day? - ChinaMan - 01-05-2020

(01-04-2020, 08:28 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: Some Holter monitors are hit or miss depending on the frequency of your symptoms. You might want to ask your physician about a ZIO patch (about the size of a large Band-Aid) which is usually good for a number of weeks or, in an extreme case, the implantation of a Medtronic loop recorder. My arrhythmia was not detectible on a Holter, was suggested using a ZIO, but was nailed with a long-term loop recorder. End result: pacemaker/defibrillator. Best of luck.

I had extreme anger and anxiety and drank coffee daily in the month of December 2019. I had shortness of breath and chest discomfort almost every day for most time of the days. So I highly suspect I have arrhythmia.

Must everyone with arrhythmia use pacemaker/defibrillator?

RE: Reasons for Shortness of Breath during the day? - Dormeo - 01-05-2020

(01-05-2020, 06:26 PM)ChinaMan Wrote: I had extreme anger and anxiety and drank coffee daily in the month of December 2019. I had shortness of breath and chest discomfort almost every day for most time of the days. So I highly suspect I have arrhythmia.

Short answer:no. Lots more information at this trusted web site:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-arrhythmia/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20350674

But do see your doctor so that he or she can figure out what steps to take next. Given the anger and anxiety, some therapy may also be helpful to you.

RE: Reasons for Shortness of Breath during the day? - ChinaMan - 01-05-2020

(01-05-2020, 10:57 PM)Dormeo Wrote:
(01-05-2020, 06:26 PM)ChinaMan Wrote: I had extreme anger and anxiety and drank coffee daily in the month of December 2019. I had shortness of breath and chest discomfort almost every day for most time of the days. So I highly suspect I have arrhythmia.

Short answer:no. Lots more information at this trusted web site:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/heart-arrhythmia/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20350674

But do see your doctor so that he or she can figure out what steps to take next. Given the anger and anxiety, some therapy may also be helpful to you.

It appears that I have AF––OSA, Alcohols trigger, Caffeine triggers, Stress and Anger trigger. It appears that I am only waiting for the confirmation of AF.

RE: Reasons for Shortness of Breath during the day? - ChinaMan - 01-08-2020

I think a lot of folks here also have Atrial fibrillation. We should discuss more extensively about Atrial Fibrillation on this forum.

I highly suspect I have Atrial Fibrillation. The only thing I need is a diagnosis.