Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
AirFit N20 problems - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: AirFit N20 problems (/Thread-AirFit-N20-problems)

Pages: 1 2

AirFit N20 problems - johnno - 01-06-2020

Pleased that you're still here guys.  I joined in 2014 but haven't been back.  When I look at my profile I see that at that time I had the Aptiva mask.  That's probably why I haven't been back.

I've had a machine for over 20 years now and the Aptiva was and is THE best mask in my experience.  Parts are getting hard to find however so yesterday I bought a new mask - the ResMed AirFit N20.  I have had so much confidence in ResMed that I didn't even bother researching or testing as I was confident that this product would be as good or better (if possible) than the Aptiva.

I tried it last night.  Big problems.  It only worked for me when sleeping on my back which I seldom do.  When on my side the rigid nature of the frame caused the cushion to dislodge from my nose.

Also, I am on a pressure of 14 and it is possible to feel the air pumping out of the mask up to half a metre away.

Is there something that I'm not understanding here?  Do I need more practice with this N20 or are these known issues?

Some wisdom required please?

RE: AirFit N20 problems - johnno - 01-07-2020

I just noticed that there is a sizing guide inside the mask box. When I place that against my nose it seems that I need the Small Size instead of the Large.

At the CPAP shop they just asked me what size my Aptiva is, which is large, and based on that sold me a Large AirFit - maybe that's the problem.

RE: AirFit N20 problems - JoeyWallaby - 01-07-2020

(01-07-2020, 01:07 AM)johnno Wrote: At the CPAP shop they just asked me what size my Aptiva is, which is large, and based on that sold me a Large AirFit - maybe that's the problem.

Wow...  Oh-jeez

RE: AirFit N20 problems - DaveL - 01-07-2020

I’ve had 3 of these. Last time I used the fit gauge. It said Medium. I had had 2 Large ones...my numbers improved using the medium mask. Generally I have very little leakage
Mine works better when I sleep on my back; I can sleep on my side.

I now use a hose reel so my hose doesn’t tug on my mask when I roll

My pressure setting is the same as yours

RE: AirFit N20 problems - DaveL - 01-07-2020

BTW. I had a bump on my nostril removed. So the smaller size was better.

RE: AirFit N20 problems - DaveL - 01-08-2020

My story. I can only speak from my experience with this mask.

No 2 of us are the same. What works for me may not work for you

I find DME’s make quick judgement calls. In my case, they seem to have a few favourite masks. They seldom use fit gauges. They will fit a trial mask in the shop. I buy a new one and it’s in a sealed bag. I take it home, inbox it, and fit it as I’ve done for years.

I typically over tighten the headgear and may cause the mask seal to collapse.

How are you doing now?

Consider using OSCAR and showing us your results

RE: AirFit N20 problems - johnno - 01-09-2020

I've been compliant for 21 years.

I took the mask in yesterday.  I told them that I hadn't worn it in case they refused to consider a change.

I told them that when I opened the box I found the size template, measured myself with that, and then based on those results decided that the large size seemed to be too big and I probably needed a medium size.

They disagreed. They hooked me up to their test machine with the large size mask and I lay down on back and sides for a few minutes.  Apparently the machine said the mask was a good fit and there we are.  I didn't experience any leaks.

I'll try it again tonight.  Apparently they will swap it for me if I have a problem tonight.

I've tried to attach a photo of my nose with the template in the interests of science but apparently I have to have posted at least 4 posts before the system accepts images.  So if it isn't there that's why.

RE: AirFit N20 problems - johnno - 01-11-2020

I tried it last night.  The CPAP report looks OK but I woke up more than usual and it didn't feel as soft and comfortable as the Aptiva.  The 'rigid' frame may take some getting used to.  When there is a leak it is that deep sonorous tone on my cheek.

Thank you for suggesting OSCAR.  I have loaded my data into OSCAR.  How do I share that with you?

Also, I need to update my Machine and Mask Type in my profile for the forum. It doesn't look like I can edit that myself.

RE: AirFit N20 problems - johnno - 01-12-2020

Tried again last night with the N20. Had to switch back to the Aptiva about 2 am. Mask leaks onto my cheek.

RE: AirFit N20 problems - OpalRose - 01-12-2020

Here is a link to help you update your profile.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/misc.php?action=help&hid=2

Also, see the Mask Primer link below in my signature line.

And to post a Screenshot of the daily page and post chart here; use the links below to guide you.