Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Help- feel nasal congestion at night - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Help- feel nasal congestion at night (/Thread-Help-feel-nasal-congestion-at-night)

Pages: 1 2

Help- feel nasal congestion at night - Robneedssleep - 01-21-2020

Hellos,

I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea for over 10 years.  I have been using a CPAP machine since then.  I am using a resmed cpap.   I use nasal pillows as the full mask is uncomfortable and I never had a good deal.

Over the past 6+ months I have been getting very congested or feeling my nose is clogged when using the machine and I wake up throughout the night.  Often I wake up laying on my stomach as breathing can be better but my body aches from it.    I have tried lowering the temp and or humidity and raising as well.  

The resmed my air app states I have a score of 100 but I wake up constantly overnight.   I don’t believe it.  

I have seen my general doctor, pulmonologist/sleep dr and a ENT.  They can not figure it out.   

This had been going on for months but getting worse and I am getting no sleep.  

Any ideas?   Anyone experience this?

Thanks for any feedback.

RE: Help- feel nasal congestion at night - Gideon - 01-21-2020

Let's see your daily charts and see if we see anything

RE: Help- feel nasal congestion at night - Robneedssleep - 01-21-2020

Attached is the report

RE: Help- feel nasal congestion at night - Osiris357 - 01-21-2020

I had the same problem until I changed the filter in the machine and it immediately stopped the next night. I now change it out every 2 weeks whether it needs it or not.

RE: Help- feel nasal congestion at night - Robneedssleep - 01-21-2020

Filter changed and new hose and mask.  Same result

RE: Help- feel nasal congestion at night - tgurske - 01-22-2020

Maybe a stupid comment but how dusty is your bedroom? My bedroom has had stuff on the floor so it didn't get cleaned for a while and it affected me. The ceiling fan blows the dust around all night and keeps it in the air. The filter doesn't seem to catch everything.

Also, are you using a humidifier?

RE: Help- feel nasal congestion at night - ragtopcircus - 01-22-2020

I have the same problem, but tweaking my settings helped a lot.

As Fred already suggested, Oscar is an essential part of the process. It will help make sense of what’s going on.

Nasacort before bed helps.

It may also help to elevate your head a little. Of course, you don’t want to put your neck at an odd angle. Some people raise the head of the bed a little with wooden blocks under the legs.

RE: Help- feel nasal congestion at night - Robneedssleep - 01-22-2020

The room is a little dusty. We are cleaning it and installing mattress/pillow dust covers this week.

When I get too congested/nose blocked. I take off the mask and I can breathe somewhat through my nose but putting the mask back on it will get blocked shortly.

Yes on the humidification. Tried raising and lowering the levels as well. Usually when I raise it I will get allot of condensation in the mask.

I have been issuing a CPAP for years and only the past 6 months has this started and getting allot worse.

RE: Help- feel nasal congestion at night - Sleeprider - 01-22-2020

I went through a bout of congestion last Spring, and started using Flonase. It takes a few days to fully clear up, but it has been a good solution for me. I think I'm sensitive to mold spores which are normally in the air in wet weather, but fluticasone propionate is good for a wide spectrum of allergens. I suspect you have kicked up some things you're sensitive to, and it may eventually subside on its own, but for now I'm pretty sure you can get relief by using the nasal spray. In my case, my nasal passages completely clamped shut on exhale. Drove me nuts, and very disruptive to sleep.

RE: Help- feel nasal congestion at night - tgurske - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 08:02 AM)Robneedssleep Wrote: The room is a little dusty.   We are cleaning it and installing mattress/pillow dust covers this week.  

When I get too congested/nose blocked. I take off the mask and I can breathe somewhat through my nose but putting the mask back on it will get blocked shortly.  

Yes on the humidification. Tried raising and lowering the levels as well.  Usually when I raise it I will get allot of condensation in the mask.

I have been issuing a CPAP for years and only the past 6 months has this started and getting allot worse.

You are vaporizing the water and it can pick up / retain elements from the water in the process. So, if you have become allergic to something in the water than it might be aggravating your system. It's not likely, but it's possible.

Try changing the water to a different source. Utility water has random stuff in it and gallon jug water has plastic (oil) in it that it picks up after being processed.

It's worth a shot.