Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Does anyone use pulse oximeter? - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Does anyone use pulse oximeter? (/Thread-Does-anyone-use-pulse-oximeter)

Pages: 1 2

Does anyone use pulse oximeter? - farnsy - 01-23-2020

I noticed that Philips makes a pulse oximetry kit that plugs into my CPAP. In the interest of really figuring out what's going on at night, I was thinking of getting this (although it's crazy expensive for some reason). I'm not sure if the oximetry data is parsed by oscar, either, or how useful it is.

As an alternative to this, there are separate oximetry solutions available on amazon for much less money, but that would mean somehow syncing the data from that to the breathing data collected by the CPAP.

Does anyone here use the oximetry kit that goes with your CPAP, or a separate oximetry kit with oscar? How useful do you think it would be?

RE: Does anyone use pulse oximeter? - harrywr2 - 01-23-2020

I occasionally use the Contec CMS50F. It's Oscar compatible.

RE: Does anyone use pulse oximeter? - Jeff8356 - 01-23-2020

From the OSCAR Oximeter Import Wizard:

Code:
OSCAR is currently compatible with Contec CMS50D+, CMS50E, CMS50F and CMS50I serial oximeters.
(Note: Direct importing from bluetooth models is probably not possible yet)
You may wish to note, other companies, such as Pulox, simply rebadge Contec CMS50's under new names, such as the Pulox PO-200, PO-300, PO-400. These should also work.
It also can read from ChoiceMMed MD300W1 oximeter .dat files.

Initially I looked into getting the Oximeter module for my ResMed but it cost as much as the machine!  I settled on a Contec CMS50F and it has been working well for me.  Although some people have reported having problems with that particular model.  I have had mine for 3 month's and have not had any issues so far.

As I understand it the developers of OSCAR are working on getting some other makes/models of oximeters to work with OSCAR also.

RE: Does anyone use pulse oximeter? - kwhenrykerr - 01-23-2020

Yes it has provided good information to go along with my cpap

RE: Does anyone use pulse oximeter? - farnsy - 01-23-2020

Very useful information, folks. So it looks like no one who has read this yet uses the oximter that connects to the CPAP. I was going to ask my Dr. if he would write a prescription for it to see if I could get it, but now I'm wondering if it would even work with OSCAR if I did get it.

Of course, these contecs seem like a pretty good (and popular) alternative.

RE: Does anyone use pulse oximeter? - Jeff8356 - 01-23-2020

Before you spend a good deal of money for the manufacturers oximeter module you may get a definitive answer on whether OSCAR imports the data or not if you ask in the Software Support part of the forum.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum

RE: Does anyone use pulse oximeter? - Quick - 04-24-2020

[duplicate]

RE: Does anyone use pulse oximeter? - Quick - 04-24-2020

I used the Contec CMS50E for many years and then the display got so dim you couldn't see it.
I have a ResMed S9 Auto. I purchased the oximeter adapter from ResMed (model A369-441/1) and picked up the ResMed Nonin Xpod 3012LP + 8000SM Sensor Kit (used) on ebay a couple of years ago. It works flawlessly and the O2 and pulse data imports into Oscar right along with the rest of the data off the SD card.

I have my machine right behind my head and the cord for the finger sensor is just long enough to where I can stretch my arm straight down. I think they might have some other solutions where the sensor is connected to a smallish sending unit that talks to the adapter on the machine wireless. Not sure about that.

RE: Does anyone use pulse oximeter? - StevesSp - 04-24-2020

I ordered a pulse oximeter (standalone device) a couple of days ago, after reading reports that some Covid-19 patients were presenting with "silent hypoxia". For those unfamiliar with the term, hypoxia means, " ... a condition in which the body or a region of the body is deprived of adequate oxygen supply at the tissue level." and is a serious, life-threatening condition. Silent hypoxia describes the syndrome where a patient is hypoxic BUT DOESN'T KNOW IT and this can be a feature of late-stage Covid-19.

The report said silent hypoxia is often seen in Covid-19 patients who are basically on their way to ICU and a ventilator - but they don't know it yet - and this delay in seeking intensive intervention could be the difference between survival or death.

So I decided to get an oximeter so that my wife and can monitor our oxygen sat levels and know immediately, should they start to fall.

Unnecessary? Possibly, but the thing cost just AUD40 and will be added to the masks, gloves, Vit C & D along with zinc lozenges, which form our 'Covid-19 Defence Arsenal'.

Link: https://www.livescience.com/silent-hypoxia-killing-covid-19-coronavirus-patients.html

RE: Does anyone use pulse oximeter? - car54 - 04-24-2020

I use the kit from Resmed. It is about $900.00 new but I bought used parts for under 1/2 price. I have used the Contec but with such a small screen just operating it was a pain. My Resmed kit will directly import into Oscar with no secondary programs which is very convenient.

car54