Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Change save location (OSCAR) - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Software Support Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Software-Support-Forum)
+--- Thread: Change save location (OSCAR) (/Thread-Change-save-location-OSCAR)

Pages: 1 2

Change save location (OSCAR) - PaulaO2 - 01-24-2020

I am installing OSCAR on a new computer. I told it where to save data (E:\Documents) and thought it would automatically create the OSCAR directory. Instead, it is loose in the folder. A preference file.

I've not moved any of my data over but did create a profile. I've looked through stuff and can't find where to change the import data location! Help?

RE: Change save location (OSCAR) - pholynyk - 01-25-2020

You can fix this... Create the folder you want to use - presumably E:\Documents\OSCAR_Data - then move or copy the OSCAR files from E:\Documents into OSCAR_Data - that would be
>>> Preferences.xml Profiles profiles.xml Screenshots<<< two xml files and two folders, or only Profiles if you haven't imported any data

Then open a command prompt and start OSCAR by typing
"OSCAR --datadir E:\Documents\OSCAR_Data" - without the quotes, of course, and assuming you used the same name I did

Then quit OSCAR, and restart it as usual

That should sort it all out, or ask any questions if I wasn't clear -- I'm not a Windows guy, so I'm not sure how to get a command prompt, for instance

RE: Change save location (OSCAR) - PaulaO2 - 01-25-2020

Cool! Thanks!

If that doesn't work, or if I can't do it right, I'll just un- and re-install. There's nothing on here yet but the program itself.

RE: Change save location (OSCAR) - PaulaO2 - 01-25-2020

Okay, I uninstalled OSCAR and tried again. The bit to tell you where to store the data didn't appear. The installation put the pref file where the other one was. I am using an uninstall program but also used the search program to find all files and deleted them. It still wants to put it there. shrug. Typical for me.

So I installed it and tried the method listed above. Got this:

[attachment=19413]

RE: Change save location (OSCAR) - Crimson Nape - 01-25-2020

If you wish to relocate the OSCAR Data directory, you will need to go into the registry. That's where the Windows version store this location.
Here is something I posted a while back.

The only place I can find to change the data directory is in the registry. I have several different versions of OSCAR and have different listings in the registry. I will use the name "OSCAR-Data" but your name may be different.

For OSCAR:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OSCAR_Team\OSCAR-Data\Settings\AppData="Address of your data directory"

SleepyHead:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jedimark\*SleepyHead-Testing\Settings\AppData="Address of your data directory"
*(Again, your name may be different)

RE: Change save location (OSCAR) - Jeff8356 - 01-25-2020

In Win10 I got the "--datadir" option to work as follows:

In the Command Prompt window
Code:
c:\>cd \Program Files\OSCAR
c:\Program Files\OSCAR>OSCAR --datadir OSCAR-data

A window will popup recommending the default location, select NO.  A second window will open asking you to select the location you want to use.  Choose your desired location and click "Select Folder".
This will also update the Registry file mentioned previously.

EDIT: It looks like the OSCAR-data directory needs exist already. So you would first need to create it at E:\> beforehand

RE: Change save location (OSCAR) - pholynyk - 01-25-2020

Sorry Paula, I forgot about the execute path to OSCAR.

If you do as Jeff did, and cd to the location of the OSCAR program, then do the "OSCAR --datadir E:\Documants\OSCAR_Data" it should work, and fix the registry entry for you

This is after you have created the OSCAR_Data directory in E:\Documents

RE: Change save location (OSCAR) - Jeff8356 - 01-25-2020

Not to detract from the Windows based question Paula asked, but Mac users can do the following:

Create a new directory anywhere you want your OSCAR data to reside.  For example: /Users/<YourUsername>/Documents/NewOSCAR_data
If you have existing data you want to use then copy it to the new location.

Then in Terminal:
Code:
open -a OSCAR.app --args --datadir NewOscar_Data

A window will popup recommending the default location, select "NO".  A second window will open asking you to select the location you want to use.  Choose your new data directory location and click "Open".

@pholynyk, I could be mistaken but it didn't seem to matter if the path was included after --datadir.  I still got the window asking if I wanted use the default location.  Selecting NO then brings up the Finder window allowing you to select any directory.

RE: Change save location (OSCAR) - robermax - 04-18-2020

ThanksThis solved my problem perfectly after a lot of failed re installs.
Should be in the Wiki or a sticky somewhere.
Thanks again!

(01-25-2020, 08:04 PM)Jeff8356 Wrote: In Win10 I got the "--datadir" option to work as follows:

In the Command Prompt window
Code:
c:\>cd \Program Files\OSCAR
c:\Program Files\OSCAR>OSCAR --datadir OSCAR-data

A window will popup recommending the default location, select NO.  A second window will open asking you to select the location you want to use.  Choose your desired location and click "Select Folder".
This will also update the Registry file mentioned previously.

EDIT: It looks like the OSCAR-data directory needs exist already.  So you would first need to create it at E:\>  beforehand

RE: Change save location (OSCAR) - malkie0831 - 10-14-2020

(01-25-2020, 10:28 PM)Jeff8356 Wrote: Not to detract from the Windows based question Paula asked, but Mac users can do the following:

Create a new directory anywhere you want your OSCAR data to reside.  For example: /Users/<YourUsername>/Documents/NewOSCAR_data
If you have existing data you want to use then copy it to the new location.

Then in Terminal:
Code:
open -a OSCAR.app --args --datadir NewOscar_Data

A window will popup recommending the default location, select "NO".  A second window will open asking you to select the location you want to use.  Choose your new data directory location and click "Open".

@pholynyk, I could be mistaken but it didn't seem to matter if the path was included after --datadir.  I still got the window asking if I wanted use the default location.  Selecting NO then brings up the Finder window allowing you to select any directory.

Thanks for posting this, very useful. I now have moved my Osar_Data folder off my boot disc which was getting a little congested!
Thanks