Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea
Pressure setting full face vs pillow - Printable Version

+- Apnea Board Forum - CPAP | Sleep Apnea (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Public Area (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Public-Area)
+--- Forum: Main Apnea Board Forum (https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum)
+--- Thread: Pressure setting full face vs pillow (/Thread-Pressure-setting-full-face-vs-pillow)

Pages: 1 2 3

Pressure setting full face vs pillow - Mpadgett714 - 01-29-2020

I have been using a nasal pillow mask since starting therapy. I am having to use a full face due to congestion. Will my starting pressure stay the same?

RE: Pressure setting full face vs pillow - SarcasticDave94 - 01-29-2020

I'd just edit the mask type setting and it should be OK.

RE: Pressure setting full face vs pillow - Mpadgett714 - 01-29-2020

I have a dreamstation machine and resumed mask. What does changing mask type setting do?

RE: Pressure setting full face vs pillow - Sleeprider - 01-29-2020

We have found that nasal pillow masks often allow for a lower pressure settings due to the direct application of pressure, and lower volume in the circuit. That said, in your last therapy thread, we have been trying to get you to increase minimum pressure to try to reduce the relatively large number of hypopnea, RERA and flow limitations you experience, so I'll repeat it here...change your minimum pressure to 9.0. Not only are you dealing with a different mask type, equally important is you indicate you are congested. This will increase flow limitation due to airway being impaired. I think this further argues for a higher minimum pressure.

If you are using a Resmed full face mask with the Dreamstation auto, Respironics recommends a resistance of X-0. Unlike the Resmed machines, the Philips uses a resistance factor, not mask type.

RE: Pressure setting full face vs pillow - Geer1 - 01-29-2020

The setting is different on Resmed and PR machines.

With Resmed machines I believe the mask type is used for calculating leak, tidal volume etc.

With the PR machines it is called system one resistance control and I understand that it adjusts the pressure to account for different resistance of masks. I believe they only give recommended settings for their own masks though so if you are using other brands of masks you need to set by feel or can try searching to see what others have it set at.

Here are some resistance control settings. https://philipsproductcontent.blob.core.windows.net/assets/20170523/9df9534dab0e44abbb16a77c0163b068.pdf

In short you might need to adjust the mask type setting or your pressures.

Thank you. I have changed my pressure and my rera’s dropped to less than 0.6.  So, I’ll change to x0, which is off, correct.

RE: Pressure setting full face vs pillow - ragtopcircus - 01-29-2020

The Phillips Respironics recommendation of X0 for non-PR masks is utter CYA nonsense unless you stick the end of the hose directly in your mouth. I would never use less than X1 for ANY mask.

X1 is what I found most comfortable with an F20 or F30. It’s a reasonable default for most masks. A few may require X2. None are likely to need a higher setting unless you use an antibacterial filter or HME.

For example, if I use the F20 or F30 with an inline Heat Moisture Exchanger instead of the humidifier (during a power failure), I bump it up from X1 to X3 to compensate for the extra restriction. PR recommends X1 for the Dreamwear, but I suspect some side-sleepers might be more comfortable at X2 (for any of the Dreamwear versions) to compensate for partially pinching one tube. Some pillow masks may also need X2, especially for a small size cushion due to the smaller holes.

Just to make sure I understand, X1 is more flow than X2 and so on.

[deleted redundant content]